[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dual Linux Booting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: boot-loader-100599648-orig.png (6KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
boot-loader-100599648-orig.png
6KB, 640x480px
I need help with dual booting Linux mint and Ubuntu on to a hard drive so that I can access the data stored in each from either.

Anon,s is there any guide on how to do this or would any one of you be kind enough to walk me through this arduous task?
>>
>>349675
You just do it. Literally install one, and then install the other one. Have you even tried?
>>
>>349675

Linux when installing installs GRUB which detects all known systems and partitions by itself and adds them to its boot menu. Unlike Windows which thinks it is the big guy and promptly overwrites your boot sector and loader.
>>
>>349689
>linux overwrites your bootsector and bootloader unlike windows which overwrites your bootsector and bootloader
>>
>>349687
I have Linux Mint installed, I am trying to install Ubuntu as well now (newfag) but the hard disk partitioner shows that all of the partitions have been used by MINT.

Again, since I am a newfag, I am not really sure how will Ubuntu be able to share data like pdfs and flacs from my MINT

I'll try to upload an image of my harddisk partitions to give us all a better understanding of what's happening.
>>
>>349693
You need to install it in a free partition...
>>
>>349693
We get what's up. You're just retarded. Why are you even trying to use Ubuntu when your dumbass can't even work the "literally for children" version of *buntu, Linux mint.

Your files will work on either. You'll just have to mount the partitions using disk-manager or something
>>
>>349699
>>349690
>>349689
>>349687

All right, sorry guys, I just realized that I am as dense as a brick, now that we've got this thread going, could any of you wizards share resources on *nix so that I won't bother you guys with such trivial shit again?
>>
>>349693

That has nothing to do with Linux, your drive is full, to install another system with its own partition you need to make room on the drive or get or select if available another one.
>>
>>349693
>but the hard disk partitioner shows that all of the partitions have been used by MINT.
Usually Linux systems use at least two partitions, a partition that contains the root folder with the user data programs, modules, etc., and a swap partition. User data (home) and programs can also be put in different partitions, and in general any folder in your system can actually be a "mounted" filesystem that can be another partition or device. Another common additional partition is the boot partition, that contains the bootloader configuration and kernel images.
Now, if you want to install Ubuntu, you don't need to modify the boot and swap partition, but if the other Mint partitions are filling the entire disk as you're saying, you have to resize them and create one or more for Ubuntu (its installer should be able to do that). But maybe you have free, unpartitioned space, and in that case you don't need to resize anything, just create a partition. If you want to use files from the other distribution, you have to mount the root partition of the other system somewhere (maybe Ubuntu and Mint do that automatically). You can also create a partition with the shared files and mount it in both the systems. That can even be /home or /home/youruser, but in general it's not a good idea to use the same home in two different systems since they also contain programs configurations.
>>
>>349702
Linda offers a great beginners series on this, only like 5$ if you catch a sale.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.