[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My nephew broke this laptop because he downloaded and burned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: PicsArt_07-16-05.55.15.jpg (548KB, 1788x2157px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_07-16-05.55.15.jpg
548KB, 1788x2157px
My nephew broke this laptop because he downloaded and burned to a dvd-r a linux distribution. It doesn't turn on with the battery or with multiple chargers. Help me.

>pic related
>>
What happens if you hit the power button
>>
>>348053
That doesn't sound like something that should have happened. Sounds like he did something else to the laptop.
>>
>>348054
Nothing. Nothing AT ALL. Yesterday night he downloaded a linux distribution to install it on pic related but today it didn't want to turn on.

>>348055
He says he didnt do anything else to it. It doesn't turn on anymore.
>>
>>348059
Does he use the power adapter that came with the laptop or some third party one?
>>
that's old trash, time to buy a new one anyways
>>
>>348064
Yes. He also used a 3rd party charger I bought for another laptop I own. It didn't work either. He didn't even installed Linux to it. The laptop runs a weird version of Windows Vista.
>>
>>348068
Problem with using a third party charger is that it can fry a laptops motherboard if its not supplying enough power.

Sounds like Windows Vista Black edition.

Either way it sounds like hes going to need a new laptop.
>>
>>348053
>he downloaded and burned to a dvd-r a linux distribution
lies

that would do absolutely nothing
>>
>>348073
He used a 3rd party charger after the laptop stopped functioning because he wanted to start the rule out process. Can it be that after time old chargers decrease their output and lead to this?

>>348073
but he said he didn't do anything else. What could have he done to make the laptop to not turn on anymore?
>>
>>348121

Either it's chance and by pure not luck the laptop then said bye, independant from downloading and burning that, or he did something he is embarrassed about now that destroyed the computer.
In any way downloading Linux and burnng has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>348121
Laptops have their own internal voltage regulators, don't use the power supply voltage directly, and operate with a huge headroom between the nominal charger voltage and even their highest internal voltage, which is five volts.

Look at your charger: it's a switchmode power supply. See how it accepts anything from 100 volts to 250 volts? Your laptop has another one inside it, because the designers rightly realised that it would be absolutely moronic to just trust the charger and connect things to it directly, particularly when they also have to run off a battery whose voltage varies more than ten percent from full to empty.

Because it goes through the internal PSU, you can shove any DC voltage remotely in the ballpark into a laptop and it will operate fine. You can be more than 20% over or under, and nothing bad will happen. If you go wildly outside of specification, all that happens is the PSU shuts down until you stop doing that.

The only way a charger can damage a laptop is by bridging it to the mains, and you can tell it's done that because the laptop goes on fire.

That guy sold you a steaming pack of cargo-cult woo that he read somewhere, never corroborated or tested, and just regurgitated at you without ever understanding how the technology actually works.
>>
>>348121
Why do you assume he has to have *done something*?

It's a laptop that's old enough to be going to highschool, and it was manufactured right in the middle of the leadfree solder debacle. You're lucky it's lasted as long as it had.

That it just broke is the *most* likely explanation.
>>
Post images with the chargers info
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.