[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which GPU should I get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1500125045982.jpg (16KB, 250x273px) Image search: [Google]
1500125045982.jpg
16KB, 250x273px
I want a pretty low-budget GPU that will work good with newer games on normal settings but won't bottleneck my Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.40GHz

I was thinking about:
Gigabyte GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR5 64-bit
Zotac GeForce GT 730 Low Profile 4GB DDR5 64-bit
or Sapphire Radeon R7 250 512SP Edition 4GB DDR3 128-bit Bulk
>>
>>347906
No.

7x0 and 2x0 are ancient chips made with obsolete technologies that are still on the market because rather than throw them in the bin where they belong, the manufacturers and retailers are playing the long game. They're hoping they can clear out their backlog by selling cards with 33% of the performance of the cheapest modern cards for 90% of their price. Only an idiot would take this deal, but if they wait long enough, enough idiots will come along.

Don't be their idiot, OP. Get a 1030 or a 550. Both these cards are massively more powerful than the obsolete crap you're considering, cost at most $30 more, will go just fine with your processor, and will get you into casual gaming.

If you can stretch to $110-140, a 560 or 1050Ti will get you into modern 1080p gaming at 60FPS. The only other thing you might need is more RAM if you only have 4GB.
>>
>>347919
Thank you for the suggestion anon, I might get the ASUS GeForce GT 1030 Phoenix 2GB DDR5 64-bit in this case

Youtube videos of people playing either GTA 5 or Battlefield 4 makes me belive they are good GPUs

I have 8 GBs of RAM

But are they really as bad as you are describing them?
>>
>>347924

Define "bad".
They'll certainly bring a picture to your screen and run not top newest games but a year or more old at good rates just fine, but there is an a lot better alternative for barely more available. From a most value for money standpoint they are not worth it.
The only way they would is if you were ABSOLUTELY sure that you will NEVER use their power to even a fraction anyway so you could save a few bucks by chossing the weaker old ones without being negatively affected.
But you typically don't play at 720p intead of 1080 because you love this resolution so much but because 1080 is simply not possible, and if the power is there it gets used too.
>>
>>347924
They really are that bad. They're a three-year-old design built on a six-year-old fabrication process. The 730 has 32nm transistors; the last Intel chip to have transistors that large was Sandy Bridge in 2010.

Last year Nvidia released their very first range of chips, EVER, to be fabricated using a technology comparable to what Intel was using at the same time. This year AMD is doing the same, albeit only at the high-end*, though last year with the 4x0 they went from 3-4 years behind to 1 year behind.

This three year jump in chipmaking technology is what's shaken up the GPU market so drastically: if I make the exact same design in a 10nm feature size instead of a 32nm feature size, adding no other innovation to the design, then just by doing that my chips will run twice as fast, on half the power, and because they're a tenth of the size, every wafer I etch will give me ten times as many of them. Of course R&D at AMD and Nvidia haven't just been sitting around doing nothing, so the actual improvements are even greater.

The bottom line is that all the low-end cards before the 1030 are electronic waste, as are all the mid-range cards before the 1050 and 450. The only reason they're still selling them is that stupid people are still buying them.
>>
>>347924
* I have no idea why they're not using their new modern process to make a 530 and 540 to compete with the 1030 and 1050.

I can only speculate that they can't make the chips quick enough, so if they made a 530 they wouldn't be able to make enough chips to sell, so selling far fewer chips for a far greater price makes the best use of their limited production capability.
>>
I looked more into it
Is a Radeon RX 460 worth it?
Or should i stick to the GT 1030

Reminder that my CPU is
Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.40GHz
>>
>>347950
Its performance-per-dollar is better than the 1030. Might be worth seeing if you can get a 560 for the same price or even maybe slightly less.

Another thing to consider might be getting a 460/560 now, then a $30-50 i5-2xxx off eBay later.

Make sure and check pcpartpicker to find the best deal on whatever chip you decide on. The only real differences between manufacturers are the amount of RAM and the speed they run the chip at; PCPartPicker includes these things in the listings.

Here's a search for all the models talked about in this thread, sorted by price: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#X=0,31314&c=396,379,380,377,376,370,394,395&sort=price&page=1
>>
>>347958
Are you saying it's too big of a difference between my CPU and RX 460?

If yes, I might consider the i5 or get an 550
>>
>>347960
No, just that your CPU is at the lowish end and the 460/560 is at the lower-middleish end. It's impossible to perfectly match a CPU and GPU: you'd need the game developers to change their games so they utilise your exact CPU and GPU so as to get peak performance from both, and if you somehow did all that you'd end up with something called a "games console".

In other words, don't sweat it. If you've got a bit too much GPU, turn the details up; if you've got a bit too little, turn the details down. That's what the settings page is for.

If you think you might be reasonably serious about getting back into PC gaming, then getting the 560/460 now would mean you wouldn't have to buy yet another GPU to get the most out of your new processor. If you're reasonably certain you'll never upgrade the processor you can save some money by getting a cheaper GPU.
>>
File: 1500133553079.jpg (48KB, 750x730px) Image search: [Google]
1500133553079.jpg
48KB, 750x730px
I see this thread is still alive

So, I am thinking about spending some more cash and buying a GTX 1050 2GB
Which I hope won't bottleneck my CPU

Now,should I get an Inno3D one or a GIGABYTE one
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.