[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop Issue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Why do anything.gif (998KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
Why do anything.gif
998KB, 250x251px
A few weeks ago my laptop started beeping whenever I tried playing any games at all, and after some testing, started beeping when I even tried to observe my GPU using GPU-Z. It also beeps during startup and when I go into my BIOS. Fans turn on full blast when beeping and then my laptop will shut down ~20 seconds later. Beeps are loud and constant until it shuts off, pausing for a second in between beeps. My Scroll, Num, and Caps lock lights flash while the beeping is happening.

I've observed several things while it's been beeping and am almost certain its not a temperature, voltage, or CPU issue.

Also sometimes it'll beep and then just stop beeping, going for hours or days before it starts beeping agian. Its behavior has been really erratic up until now. I can go into further detail if anyone wants.

Heres my specs
- Sager NP8671 / Clevo 650SE
- Intel Core i7-5700HQ CPU 2.70GHz
- Nvidia GTX 970m 4GB
- Windows 10 64-bit
- Samsung 850 EVO M.2 120GB SSD as my C:Drive
- HGST 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive as my D:Drive
- 8GB RAM

TL;DR My laptop beeps trying to play games then shuts off, whats the deal?
>>
>>347489

Those are likely error codes from your BIOS outside POST, what manufacturer is your BIOS from?

https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Which decrition fits your beeping best?
>>
>>347489
That's clearly the overtemperature alarm.

Clean your fans and radiators. Don't remove your heatsinks unless you have the required thermal paste and thermal pads to put them back.

Ignore this guy: >>347496. You don't get POST codes outside of the POST.
>>
>>347496
My BIOS is made by AMI and is version 2.17.1429
I updated it not too long ago with a file from Sager support to fix an issue unrelated to the beeping, which was happening at the same time.
None of the beeps in the AMI section seem to fit mine because it lasts until the laptop shuts itself off. Possibly because of what >>347506 said.
Also, to confirm a suspicion, I tested a little more to see that it only beeps during startup AFTER it shuts down from my games, but not after a clean restart. It still beeps when I go into BIOS though, and stops beeping a few seconds after I leave it.

>>347506
I really thought it wouldnt be a temperature issue. Although right now my CPU and GPU are sitting at 43 Celcius while idle according to 3 sensors, so maybe I've done a shit job of cleaning my fans lately. I figured spraying air into them would be good enough. The fans arent even running right now either.
I could be sitting at the loading screen for Skyrim or anything else and the alarms would still go off. Its only ever overheat once and it handled that by just turning itself off with no beeping.

I'll clean them out again though and try to do it more thoroughly this time.
>>
Back from cleaning my laptop. I got a good bit of dust out and it feels like its blowing out more air when the fans go full blast though.
I opened a game and it beeped for 3 seconds, stopped for a few seconds, then continued to beep until it shut itself off. I was hoping it was just a heat issue, but it apparently not. The beeps still dont match the chart though, at least not for my BIOS.
>>
>>347553
It's a heat issue. It must be, because it starts when you load your GPU, it continues until your machine shuts down, then if you turn it back on immediately it still continues, and if you turn it back on later on it goes away. This is 100% consistent with heat. Given how quickly it ramps up under low load, it's not impossible that this is a problem with heat transfer from the components *into* the heatsink. You might be looking at worn out thermal compound or thermal pads, or a heatpipe that's leaked.

Things to try, in order of annoyance:
- check the torque on the heatsink screws to make sure no heatsinks have come loose
- take the fans off the heatsinks and clean the backsides of the radiators. You should be able to see right through them in the direction of the airflow
- take the plates off the fans, and clean the crap out with a qtip.
- run it with the back off, then when it shuts down immediately feel the heatpipes to see if any are hot. They shouldn't be significantly hotter in one place along the pipe; if they are this means the pipe has leaked its fluid out. If the heatpipes are obviously damaged or redoing the thermal interface materials doesn't fix it, you're going to have to replace the heatsink.
- take the heatsinks off and remount them with new thermal compound and new thermal pads. You can't replace thermal pads with thermal compound because thermal pads fill gaps and thermal compound doesn't
>>
>>347704
I dont doubt what you say and will get my pipes and paste checked for safety's sake later on, but theres just a few consistencies I want to put out to hear what you make of it.

The beeping only continues after a crash, but I never said it had to be immediatley after. I can boot up my laptop following a crash from yesterday and itll beep during startup. This beeping isnt caused by heat, but I suspect it could be carrying over its warning from when it was crashing, since it interrupts itself. Also beeping in my BIOS is still weird.
I started up Skyrim during a very cool stable 38 degrees and jumped right into loading and then it started beeping. It beeps at the same point during loading regardless of the temperature. If I start the game and hit continue, a box pops up asking to confirm it. My computer will start to beep, but then stop 5 seconds later until I start loading in. From there it proceeds as normal.
In the past, it has gone long periods without beeping before starting up again. Low load, high load, it doesnt really matter. It can start in menus as simple as Terraria's. Its even stopped beeping on its own mid-beep and functioned fine for hours; several times now too.
Its all this inconsistent behavior over the past weeks thats thrown me off a solid answer, but the past 2 days its been very relentless and consistent in its beeping, which I can only take to mean that the issue has possibly gotten worse. It beeps around 5 seconds after starting up a game.
For it to be doing all this from heat in such an unnecessary way, I can only think that its doing this in a preventative manner to tell me that it might shut down later, instead of doing it reactively before it gets to that point. Its annoying.
>>
Have you tried plugging your laptop into the wall socket/charger while playing games? It could be a power related issue. Also check the Event Log in windows and see if any issues arise or point to heat or power problems. If neither of these things are present I would suggest you RMA your laptop or even get a new one.
>>
>>347792
My laptop is always plugged in so I dont think thats an issue.
Its a little late for an RMA, this laptop is 3 years old.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.