[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Troubleshooting semi-dead HDD(s)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: 2.jpg (157KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
157KB, 1280x1024px
I bought a New HDD to replace an Old HDD that I thought had died a couple months ago.
I moved recently and the plastic retainer bracket in my computer case for the Old HDD snapped. I was occasionally using the Old HDD in an external dock until it stopped working.
At the time, I tried plugging it back in to the internal SATA and swapping cables and trying a different HDD in the dock to narrow down and determine that it was in fact the Old HDD that was faulty.

I got the New HDD on Wednesday. Before installing the New HDD, I was gonna plug it into the external dock and format it but the Old HDD was still sitting in the dock and when I powered it on, Windows recognized and was able to read everything on the Old Drive again. I tried to move some files back on to my computer but the drive died again after ~20GB worth of files transferred.

I plugged the New HDD into the external dock and Windows didn't recognize it. BIOS doesn't recognize it either.
When I have either the Old HDD or the New HDD plugged in to SATA data + SATA power (either internal cables or the external dock) I hear 6 short buzzing noises (possibly trying to spin up) and then nothing.

I bought the New HDD from an Amazon Certified Refurbished seller. Should I just RMA it? Otherwise what can I try to get this thing to work? Is there any hope for my Old HDD?
>>
>>347048
Check your SATA power.

Make sure you're not sitting them on something that's vibrating or conductive.

A new hard disk should just work; it's very uncommon for them to be DOA.
>>
>>347048
there is that old pc tech story: if you have a HD that's failing but still works some of the time, wrap it in cloth and put it in the refrigerator for an hour, then put it in the freezer for three hours. when you take it out, there's a chance it will will work long enough to copy everything you need off it. good luck.
>>
File: 48638159.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
48638159.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
>>347065
i didn't try all recombinations but the working internal HDDs still work when swapped to other SATA data/power cables and the nonworking HDDs don't work regardless of SATA data/power cable combination

frankly i'm scared that i shorted/overloaded whatever part of the HDDs by plugging them into the external dock. it's kind of old and there's no antishock cover for the majority of the drive or PCB on the back

>>347066
won't the moisture be bad for the HDD?
i don't want mustard gas coming out of my usb ports either way
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.