[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to convert a MKV file to MP4.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: images.png (1KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
1KB, 120x120px
I am trying to convert a mkv movie file to mp4 with vlc media player. However when I do so, the audio does not get converted or subtitles. Anyone here have any suggestions on what to do.

Im trying to use clips form a black&white Japanese samurai movie, in-order to point out the impact they had with western movies,Star Wars for example.

I've posted this thread on /diy/ with an anon suggesting FFmpeg along with what formats i should use. however said thread was deleted probably by a moderator. So if said anon is here, can you please repeat what you suggested?
>>
File: 0008.jpg (243KB, 1280x1868px) Image search: [Google]
0008.jpg
243KB, 1280x1868px
mp4 does not get along well with multiple audio and/or audio tracks.

mp4=skinny jeans that you can barely get your hands into the pockets
mkv=coveralls and a knapsack

Try Handbrake.
>>
>>345256
Im trying to use said files with sony vegas, it tells me that it wont accept mkv files.
>>
>>345242
There are 4chan archives, OP.

https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S1207462
>>
>>345258
I think that's literally the one OP just talked about
>>
>>345258
>>345260
>https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S1207462
OP here, yes it is thanks.
that thread was shut down too fast if you ask me.

>>345256
>Try Handbrake.
how is it with your experience?

If anyone here has any information any help will be great.
>>
>>345268

I've been using it for roughly 10 years to encode for mobile, htpc and when i was briefly streaming.. it's awesome.
>>
>>345242
Use mkvtoolnix
No rendering needed.
You can choose your audio track and subs
At the end of output file put .mp4 instead of .mkv.
>>
>>345242 this >>345511

or using FFmpeg:

run ffprobe or mediainfo on the source file to see which / how many streams you want to copy, then:

ffmpeg -i inputfile.mkv -codec copy -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -map 0:3 -map 0:4 outfile.mp4

map as many streams as the input file has if you want an exact copy, or just the ones you want if you want to cut out some extra subs or audio.

This will also maintain the subs as softsubs.
>>
>>345608
You didn't spot that >>345511 was a troll?

No matter.

You can't put MPEG-4 that doesn't conform to a profile into an MP4, or nothing will be able to play it. Same goes for audio that isn't AAC or AC3, and subs that aren't SRT.

IOW, you need to convert it like OP was asking, and you can't just be a smartarse and transtainer it.

inb4 "it plays on my PC": so does MKV.
>>
>>345621
mkvtoolnix is just a nice remuxer to me; I don't know why you wouldn't use it (though I haven't used it for a while).

>You can't put MPEG-4 that doesn't conform to a profile into an MP4, or nothing will be able to play it. Same goes for audio that isn't AAC or AC3, and subs that aren't SRT.
By chance, my test case met the specs needed.

>IOW, you need to convert it like OP was asking, and you can't just be a smartarse and transtainer it.
it's late man; I'm not reading any of this in detail.

If they NEED mp4 and mp4 NEEDS XYZ codecs (lol; reminds me of why it sucks aside from transport) then they should be asking for re-encode advice, which nobody has mentioned until you just now.

When they provide a stream layout and ask for re-encode / mux advice I'll write the ffmpeg line for them. until then try being more useful yourself if you can read their mind
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 530x249px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 530x249px
>>345628
>they should be asking for re-encode advice, which nobody has mentioned
>>345242
>I am trying to convert a mkv movie file to mp4
Not my fault you don't know what converting to mp4 entails.

OP should download Handbrake (which is available for all popular operating systems and a bunch of unpopular ones), then instead of just pressing "go" he should first look at the audio track and subtitles bit and select the ones he wants. If his player doesn't support subtitles but he wants to see them anyway he should check the "burn in" box.
>>
>>345631
>Not my fault you don't know what converting to mp4 entails.
sometimes it entails nothing; literally just a remux depending on the source
>>
>>345628
>mkvtoolnix is just a nice remuxer to me; I don't know why you wouldn't use it (though I haven't used it for a while).
how to get codec?
>>
>>345784
If you follow the instructions in >>345511 you will get an MKV with a .mp4 file extension. It'll appear to work on your PC, but all you've really done is rename the file.

I thought >>345608 might have noticed this after being told directly that that advice was a troll, but apparently he didn't:
>>345628
>mkvtoolnix is just a nice remuxer to me; I don't know why you wouldn't use it
>>
>>345827
>I thought >>345608 might have noticed this after being told directly that that advice was a troll, but apparently he didn't:
Oh I did, and again, nice advice for OP you useless faggot.

OP, provide a stream layout and I'll help you with FFmpeg.
>>
>>346034
>FFmpeg
its a nightmare
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.