[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help: Transferring an OS to a different drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Windows-10-logo.jpg (42KB, 645x484px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-logo.jpg
42KB, 645x484px
So I have a relative trying to transfer Windows 10 from an HDD to an SDD.

I know how to install the hardware easily, but installing the OS seems daunting and I've never done it before. I heard it was easy with Windows 10, but Google is giving me all these different answers with all this third party shit to download.

Is there a simple, practical way of doing this? If so, would I need a Windows 10 Key? How do I get it?
>>
>>345052
Here's a guide:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/6290me/cloned_hdd_to_ssd_broke_bootloader/dflc4c6/

The new ssd you have might have come with its own cloning software so you might feel more confident in using that. Otherwise, if you don't trust third-party software, you could do research on your own to see if the software actually works.

If the computer came pre-installed with windows, then as long as the new drive is the exact data replica of the old drive, you ought to be okay. You won't need a key because windows validates itself by checking the computer's hardware.
>>
>>345072
Decided I don't want to do any cloning, I'd rather do a fresh install.

Do I just unplug the SATA Cable from my old 2tb hard drive, plug it into the new SSD and let the computer do the rest?
>>
>>345088
>I'd rather do a fresh install
I'd still direct you to do the cloning with the reason being that Microsoft/Windows might not play nice with your system otherwise.

After the cloning you can reset windows on the new ssd:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=windows%2010%20reset%20your%20pc

Here's the basic steps one by one:
1) You have old setup with your 2tb in the computer
2) Power on windows
3) Connect the ssd to the computer using the sata connection
4) Run the cloning program and follow the directions on it
5) Once the cloning has finished, shut down the computer
6) Remove the ssd from the sata
7) Open the computer and take out the 2tb
8) Put in the ssd in its place
9) Power on your computer and hopefully windows 10 boots
10) Use the reset option once you've logged on
>>
>>345113
Again, not cloning. One of the reasons I'm switching is because the old OS has a problem locking the Disk at 100% usage. That stupid reddit guide doesn't even elaborate on step 2.
>>
>>345115
You could do the reset prior to the cloning too. I thought it would be better if you didn't in case you wanted to save items on your old hard drive.

Step 2 has to do with disk space and partitions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning
A 2tb drive is obviously larger than a 256gb ssd. But, if you only have 100gb worth of things on the 2tb drive, then you would be able to fit it into the 256gb ssd if you shrink the partitions on the 2tb down to below 256gb. Now that you mentioned that you don't have experience in this area, it makes sense that you're hesitant at wanting to attempt cloning since the possible mistakes can be pretty disastrous.

So, if you do want to go ahead to a completely new installation and not a reset, here's where you can start:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

However, I don't have experience in that area so I won't be able to help you beyond that link.

Good luck.
>>
>>345116
>I won't be able to help you
Thank fuck for that.

>>345052
- On your mostly-working OS, download the "Windows 10 media creation tool", and use it to turn a 4GB or larger USB stick into a Windows 10 installer.
- Switch off
- Unplug your hard disk, plug in the SSD, and the USB stick
- Windows 10 installer will boot (you may have to press a key on startup to choose what to boot, but you shouldn't have to).
- Press next a bunch of time, selecting "custom (advanced)" for the install type, "I don't have a product key" when prompted, and to install to the free space on the only connected disk (which will be your SSD).
When Windows 10 boots, it will fetch all your drivers from Windows Update. If it doesn't have a wifi driver on the installer USB, you may need to connect it by ethernet temporarily so it can get your wifi drivers.
- If Windows 10 came with your PC it will activate itself from the key built into your BIOS. If you upgraded from Windows 7, it will activate from the record Microsoft has that your PC is licensed. If you bought it as a product key, you'll need to enter that key when prompted.
>>
>>345052
And after you're done, you can plug your hard disk back in, and you'll be able to access all the files on it (or format it and use it as storage).

If you're on UEFI (you probably are), you'll need to go into Disk Management and delete the ~100MB EFI system partition off the hard drive, because EFI has no defined behaviour for what happens if the same computer has two of them, and your computer may even boot a different device at random each time you turn it on.
>>
>>345116
Thanks

>>345155
Thanks

>>345161
>And after you're done, you can plug your hard disk back in, and you'll be able to access all the files on it (or format it and use it as storage).
Really? This works? I thought you have to format a drive that has windows installed and can't access any of the files inside?

>If you're on UEFI (you probably are), you'll need to go into Disk Management and delete the ~100MB EFI system partition off the hard drive, because EFI has no defined behaviour for what happens if the same computer has two of them, and your computer may even boot a different device at random each time you turn it on.
Cheers.
>>
>>345177
If you're logging in with a Microsoft Account on Windows 10, your Documents folder is encrypted with Bitlocker. If you use the same account, it should be able to unlock on a new Windows install, but to be safe you should probably get your recovery key now.
>>
>>345177
Either get your Bitlocker recovery key off Onedrive*, or go into control panel and disable device encryption before you reinstall.

* https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/566e0e4e-4ca7-4df2-88fb-aa71c00ea55e/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.