[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 9FonCL8.png (821KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
9FonCL8.png
821KB, 1280x720px
So my computer has recently been crashing a lot particularly while playing higher end games. I just installed a Samsung 850 evo SSD and migrated windows to it. I think this issue happened once or twice before this, but I can't be certain.

When it crashes it goes to just a straight black screen, the audio lags. The computer stays powered indefinitely. I turn it off by holding power button and then if i try turning on within say 10-15s it turns on in the errored mode. I'm 99% sure it isn't overheating.

I have a AMD 8320 board and a AMD r9 280 graphics card. The power supply is very old and could be connected to the issue.

The strangest thing is that when I turn the computer back on and look at the event log, it says (for example) "The previous system shutdown at 9:55:13 PM on 7/10/2017 was unexpected." whereas in fact the shut down was at 22:36PM ish and there are no events in between those times.

I'd love any thoughts, suggestions and can provide further info. Thanks!!
>>
>>344572
Sounds like overheating even though you mentioned you think that's not the case.

This only happens while your playing a game for a long period of time right?

Either that or you have a failing PSU (which is rare). However I've had that happen and it killed my graphics card with it.
>>
So it ONLY happens at very high load with lots of data being moved and regardless of game as long as it is higher end?
>>
OP here.

Not always a long period of time, but certainly only with higher load. The PSU is very old so maybe that is overheating? I have a hardware monitor telling me the GPU basically never goes about 70. No monitor on the psu though. Only thing is I'm in Aus and it's winter right now. My room is like 12 degrees C. It was running ok in the summer. Could it have just aged/the new ssd making it work harder?
>>
>>344582
Its not the temperature you need to monitor its the power load on your PSU. Your PC should crash at a certain power load.

Shit kept happening to me while playing Overwatch.
>>
>>344583
Gotcha. I shall keep an eye on it, thank you!!
>>
>>344582

Does the PSU have enough Watt output for your hardware? Sounds like a power problem to me, the graphics card requires enough power under load, then the PSU reaches its treshold and finally the voltage and power drops under the minimum and the card or processor reacts with a fault halting the system.
>>
>>344593
Yeah it's a 650W PSU so enough wattage for my setup I'm fairly sure (a rough calculation gave me 515 recommended) but it is probably about a 8-9 year old unit
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.