[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Motherboard compatibility, need help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
Hey, im looking to buy a new CPU and a new motherboard. Would an Asus H110M-R/C/SI support an i3 7100? I've searched on multiple forums and theres no concrete answer. Some say it doesn't, some say it does, some say u need to update the BIOS, but is that even possible if i don't have an earlier generation CPU to use? Please help me out, im new to this stuff
>>
>>344468
y do you even want an i3
>>
>>344468
>Asus H110M-R/C/SI
the motherboard accepts SocketType LGA 1151 and the i# is a LGA 1151. So it will work
>>
>>344468
https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips
https://www.youtube.com/user/Techquickie
>>
>>344487
i3 is a decent budget processor, and is more than enough for just browsing online or w/e. op should probably at least invest in an i5 if he wants to last more than 6 months in vidya though, processor needs are rising my dude. I'm gonna be stuck in the past since my PC had a T-model i3 preinstalled and I haven't replaced it yet
>>
You would possibly need a bios update before the board supports Kaby series. To get this bios update, you would need a processor that's compatible with an older bios version.
Check motherboard support site to be sure.
>>
>>344488
Ignore him.

You need a BIOS that's newer than Kaby Lake for Kaby Lake to POST. The really high-end boards can update the BIOS using the SMC, but the low-end ones need a working processor to update the BIOS and make the processor work.

tl;dr: OP isn't an idiot for asking this, you are for giving him an answer that's incorrect and not even googling it.
>>
>>344488
i3,i5,i7 IS LGA 1150. I have had and i3 and I upgraded to the i7 and my board is a LGA 1150. I had to update my BIOS.
>>
>>345176
No, only i[357]-[45]xxx is.

It's the first number in the second set of numbers that tells you which generation (and therefore which socket) the processor is. 6xxx (Skylake) and 7xxx (Kaby Lake) are 1151. 4xxx (Haswell) and 5xxx (Broadwell) are 1150. 2xxx (Sandy Bridge) and 3xxx (Ivy Bridge) are 1155. -xxx (Nehalem) and 1xxx (Westmere) are 1156.
>>
>>345176
The difference between Haswell-->Broadwell and Skylake-->Kaby Lake is that if your BIOS was out of date, Broadwell would still boot into a state where it was capable of updating the BIOS. Kaby Lake on an old BIOS is a brick.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.