[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Easy physics question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: temp.png (98KB, 760x200px) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
98KB, 760x200px
/fit/ here, we need help to calculate the amount of force needed to suspend a person with the weight of 130 lbs against a wall with your arm (and assuming g = earth gravity). I haven't taken physics since college so I can't do this properly, It should just be a simple free-body diagram.

Thread:
>>>/fit/42019997
>>>/fit/42020173

Picture is a shitty example I got off of google. It's missing friction (and involves a box not a person obviously)
>>
to properly calculate this you need to know the coefficient of static friction between the person and the wall
either you make a random dubiously-accurate estimate or you measure it experimentally
>>
also, the angle you push at is another variable that changes the final result
it would take the most force/strength to push them directly into the wall and hold them up with only friction
it would take the least force to push straight upwards and ignore the wall entirely
>>
File: Vader No Force Choke.jpg (112KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
Vader No Force Choke.jpg
112KB, 639x960px
>>341392
>>341391

We're talking like a villain chokehold here, so let's say 45 degrees, and just the strength needed to maintain the hold. I'm okay with dubious
>>
Well I don't know shit about how to estimate the amount of friction. If there was none at all, pushing them up against a wall at a 45 degree angle would require force equal to ~1.41x their weight, so 184 pounds of force.

With friction it would be somewhere in between 130 and 180 but I'm not sure where precisely.
>>
>>341398
Awesome! And then what would be the force required to hold them up there against gravity, but with the wall working with you?
>>
>>341401
That's the number I just said.

Pushing a weight straight upwards would be easier than holding it against a wall.

Holding something at an ANGLE without a wall would be much harder though, since on top of the force to hold it up you also need to apply torque. You'd have to use the muscles in charge of rotating your arm around your shoulder, and the work they have to do gets harder the longer your arm is.
>>
>>341405
Ahh okay perfect, thank you anon!!
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.