[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tech support - mid 2011 21.5' iMac

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: mid 2011 21.5' iMac.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mid 2011 21.5' iMac.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
mid 2011 21.5' iMac shutting down randomly without warning for the past month
this iMac is 6 years old with 2011-2014 only moderate use and 2014-2017 upwards +8hrs/daily

yesterday it functioned normally for 2 hours then after loading a game application for 2-3 minutes it shut down

usually pressing the power button would only bring about a brief attempt of the standard 500GB HDD (not an SSD) & fan(s) both spin then quickly give out
This leads to only the fan(s) spinning with an unresponsive LCD, keyboard and mouse.

Could it be the power supply?

I've tried unplugging the motherboard and putting it back it (sometimes gets it to turn on, shuts down again later)
also tried SMC & PRAM reset, recovery mode and booting without RAM/checking for faulty RAM

I'd also like to note that several times there have been attempts to boot only to show vertical lines on the LCD (sometimes a mixed color, sometimes black & grey / grey & white) which last occurred June 16.
>>
File: 20170616_202300-1.jpg (889KB, 1600x2331px) Image search: [Google]
20170616_202300-1.jpg
889KB, 1600x2331px
>I'd also like to note that several times there have been attempts to boot only to show vertical lines on the LCD (sometimes a mixed color, sometimes black & grey / grey & white) which last occurred June 16.

pic related
>>
I don't know shit about macs. With that said, it could be your computer shutting itself down due to overheating, but it would normally do that mainly when being used for something intensive It could also be a failing power supply.
>>
probably your gpu friend
use hirensboot cd to test your hardware more spec your gpu
idk how that shitty macs work but if you can take your gpu out take it and try using onboard for a while
if that isnt possible you're left with using software like hirensboot cd or another so see whats breaking down
>>
>>341332
I run a third party app to monitor rpm/temps and they all showed normal readings
at times it would shut off in less than half an hour after being turned on with only browsing/youtube
>>341350
can a faulty gpu in a pc result in random shut downs? I'd like to note that about a week ago the computer was capable of staying on +1 hour while running Killing Floor on low settings until later shutting itself down after closing it and attempting to run a different game application.

https://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?26917-IMAC-2011-Will-not-power-on

after doing more research I've come across an iMac service manual for the specific model at hand (5th post down) on this forum up above.

It shows that LED #1 (indication that the AC cord is plugged in or mac is asleep) is lit.
LED #2 (indication that power supply is communicating with logic board) showing no light and is off.
LED #3 (video card >> motherboard) and LED #4 (LCD >> motherboard) are also showing no light and are off.

I'm not sure if LED #2 (power supply) is responsible for whether or not LED #3 (video card) & 4 (LCD) are also supposed to be on or not though

>>
>>341221
Might be dried up thermal paste, bruh.

iMacs are a piece of shit to work on, so you can probably take it to a local 3rd party Mac repair shop if you can. Maybe the logic board needs to be replaced (since iMacs are AIOs, your CPU and GPU will be replaced since they're all on the logic board).
>>
Also you might be able to run Tech Tool to see what's wrong. (try to find a newer version if you can).

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19415/techtool-deluxe
>>
>>341475
have considered this
Whether or not it is the source (although monitoring temps have shown CPU at mid ~40ÂșC) thermal paste will eventually be reapplied to both CPU and GPU
>3rd party Mac repair
Unfortunately this isn't an option so it'll have to be done here on the desk
>logic board
taken into consideration
>>341477
>https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19415/techtool-deluxe
thanks for showing me this, if i can get it to run long enough ill try it out
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.