[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in need of /techsupport/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1442634134659.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
1442634134659.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
So here's my situation. I noticed one of my external hard drives was making an occasional click noise. I didn't think it was a hard drive failure because the clicking wasn't erratic, more like it happens every 10 minutes and sounded like an HD starting up. When I check out the contents, it would either give me black folders or it would not open the files. Next I unplug the HD and plug it back in and it works as normal without the clicking noise. Two days later, it happens again so I just repeat the solution I used earlier.
My question is does anyone know what's doing this and should I be greatly concerned? I was hoping it was just a false alarm but having it happen twice makes me want to do a backup immediately.

Other details: It's a Western Digital, about a year old and I also use it as a scratch disk for Photoshop and After Effects, both of which I use constantly.
>>
>>339090
JESUS CHRIST REPLACE IT.

>I put all my data on this thing but sometimes all my data disappears will it always come back
>>
>>339091
I'm not even sure if that's what's happening. It's more like the computer thinks it's disconnected when it isn't.
>>
Disk going bad (if not already permanently fucked).

Definitely take it out of the external case and connect it by sata or ide and back the shit up. Then replace.

I've had a lot of externals do this ESPECIALLY if you over use. The external drive models are not really meant for heavy duty read/writes. They're meant for copying to leaving alone and then reading from again later on. Not disk thrashing type activity.
>>
>>339094
If it's a case with a bridge and a SATA drive in it, then it's exactly the same drive.

They don't make special unreliable ones for putting in enclosures.
>>
>>339094
I better not take any chances then.
>>
>>339090
at first sounds like normal hdd sleep mode, where it parks the heads and slows/stops the platters from spinning to conserve power. you can change this behavior to never occur in the windows power management settings for the profile you are currently using.
but not reading the data once it spins back up certainly doesnt sound right (explorer should even prevent you from opening the drive [loading cursor] before it has finished the spin up procedure), so either the usb controller board is not the best one or it is starting to go bad
backup the important data you have there as a precaution and continue to use it as a trash drive until, if, it fails
>>
>>339100
It does that green bar thing while I'm viewing the drive, is that relevant?
>>
>>339104
it is the correct behavior yes, although not showing the drives content after the bard is done "loading" is not
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.