[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is my video card kill? I tried opening republic commando and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 20170627_054639.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170627_054639.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Is my video card kill? I tried opening republic commando and the screen went black, and fans on my computer went to 9000rpm. I tried a system restore after getting this and now I can't even open in safe mode. I googled some of the errors and it appears to be driver related
>>
what exactly happens? bluescreen during windows load or do you get screen corruption?
>>
Bios boots, operating system loads, Windows startup screen loads but before I can log in I get that screen.
>>
i doubt its a graphics card physical problem, it can still be but without visual corruption its hard to pinpoint it (unless its vram related). im more inclined in it being either something else like the cpu/ram is overheating (could be a bad memory stick) or you got corrupted harddisk data
try booting with one memory stick at a time and see if that works. concurrently, run a
>sfc /scannow
once you are able to mitigate the bluescreen
gl
>>
>>338088

Okay so how the hell do I do that? Physically remove my RAM? And what is a sfc/scannow?

Appreciate your input at these hours anon
>>
>>338088
>computer is completely stable until the GPU driver loads, then bluescreen ten seconds later
>nvlddmkm.sys
>I doubt it's the GPU

>>338094
It's the GPU. Confirm this by trying a different GPU or your onboard graphics.
>>
>>338096

So I'm retarded and when I opened my BIOs I set the monitor to use the integrated graphics and now i can't see anything. How do I fix this pls thank you
>>
>>338125
Plug the monitor into your motherboard instead of your graphics card.
>>
>>338125
Oh, and if it still gives you shit, physically remove the GPU.
>>
>>338096
>>computer is completely stable
where did op mentioned that? all i see is
>I tried a system restore after getting this
which meant that it got to the desktop at least once without failing
>>
>>338219
>>338096
shit, forgot to include
>now I can't even open in safe mode
safe mode loads no drivers, so, according to your assumptions the gpu magically came to life for just one boot sequence, without displaying any corruption ever? i find really that hard to believe
>>
>>338219
How the fuck could he have carried out a system restore, which takes up to an hour, if the system wasn't completely stable in windows installer?
>>
>>338221
Before the driver activates them, GPUs don't do anything complicated and behave just like a '90s VGA adapter.

Which, of course, you knew. I can't imagine anyone that ignorant would be posting here and wasting everyone's time.
>>
So I plugged the monitor into the motherboard and it told me Windows was unable to start and opened startup repair. It did (i guess) another system restore and I'm hoping this one will take
>>
Okay so after that next restore, it goes to the Windows load screen and then just goes black. Should I Remove the gpu?
>>
>>338347
Definitely worth a try.
>>
>>338337
>driver activates
>GPUs don't do anything complicated
>'90s VGA adapter
i dont even know where to start with that... i guess the word you are looking for is framebuffer, which is in no way simple, and if the gpu was borked it would display corruption or nothing at all
>I can't imagine anyone that ignorant would be posting here and wasting everyone's time.
i find your post rather ironic

>>338341
so everything works now?
>>
>>338350

Now nothing works. I used startup repair, ran another system restore, and after the Windows screen it goes black. I restarted it and it opened up startup repair again and just told me it can't fix the problem
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 800x600px
>>338350
>is in no way simple
Sure it is, otherwise how is the BIOS, with no driver, and Windows installer, with no driver, and Windows with no driver able to drive it?

Might the answer be "because until the driver tells it not to, it behaves exactly like a VGA adapter from the '90s"?

I think it might, you absolute cretin.
>>
>>338379
>Now nothing works
>after the Windows screen it goes black
>just told me it can't fix the problem
so, is your machine working fine, like before all of this, or what?
did you run anything else besides system restore?

>>338448
>with no driver able to drive it
its not driven anywhere, im not going to extend myself on this, but you can start your read up on "linear framebuffer access" and maybe go from there
>VGA adapter from the '90s"
you keep saying that but there were framebuffer, 2d and 3d accelerators back in the 90s, so which one is it?
>you absolute cretin
last resort, eh? thats fine, i guess...
>>
I had a similar thing happen to my gpu but its behavior is completely erratic. I can turn on the computer and play games fine for hours sometimes, and other times the thing can display a pattern of vertical lines right in the bios. What else in the computer can be fucked if the gpu signal shits itself in the bios?
>>
>>338491
How do you think the "standard VGA adapter" driver knows which one it is? It doesn't need to, because VGA is a standard, you absolute mongoloid.

I suggest *you* read up on what PFIFO and PGRAPH do, and go from there. Hint: until the driver loads, the answer is "absolutely nothing".
>>
>>338914
Nothing. It's like memtest: if you have a corrupted framebuffer it's definitely the GPU, but if you don't have a corrupted framebuffer that doesn't mean it's not the GPU.

GPUs have a fuckload of functional units beyond just some RAM and a RAMDAC, and any one of these can make your computer shit the bed.
>>
>>338491
>"standard VGA adapter" driver knows which one it is
uh?!? "is" what?
>PFIFO and PGRAPH
how is any of that software in any related to any vga/vesa hardware? why are you really just naming random things just for the sake of it?!?
>until the driver loads, the answer is "absolutely nothing"
again, you are implying the gpu just sits there doing nothing until the driver loads, thats not how it works, the gpu is on at all times, before main bios even. thats like saying that until you start loading windows the cpu just sits there doing nothing... (at least read about how dos handles the screen after the bios/post, its might be old stuff but its pretty enlightening).
>you absolute mongoloid
still at it, i see... let it all out, maybe youll get some peace of mind afterwards...

>>338914
>display a pattern of vertical lines right in the bios
it will eventually break forever, probably caused by a broken solder joint under the substrate that shifts position depending on temperature (flexing and whatnot).
sometimes people get a couple more months, after total failure, by sticking them in the oven (temperature controlled), stuff inside shifts a bit and some solder might reflow, but it never works forever. designed to fail, really, either by mistake or on purpose

>>338919
>GPUs have a fuckload of functional units beyond just some RAM and a RAMDAC
indeed, but if the card is able to load its bios, enter and display text mode correctly, and produce a clear picture on the output then nothing should be wrong with it

anyways, i guess op got it working since he didnt post anything else
>windows system restore fixes gpus confirmed
:^)
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.