[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Booting problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: pc.jpg (164KB, 900x561px) Image search: [Google]
pc.jpg
164KB, 900x561px
So it looks like sector on my hard drive with booting files went to shit.
I tried restoring it with tools from Windows DVD, but it looks like they can't find files. I even tried commond line "bootrec /fixboot" and it also cannot find booting files.

So I actually have 2 questions:
1) What can I do more? (Ive got Win 7)
2) If wpinig out HDD and instaling new Windows is the only option, how can I retriew serial number from files? (I can plig in HDD to other computer and use some software if necessary)
>>
>>333965
bootrec /fixboot puts back the windows bootsector (use if windows loader never loads in the first place, PC tries to boot from network or DVD)
bootrec /rebuildbcd rebuilds the list of windows installs the booloader uses to load. (use if the windows loader loads, then gives you an error message)

Try using the Windows 10 installer's bootrec: it's newer and better. You can get Windows 10 media for free by googling "windows 10 media creation tool".

Remember for all Windows installers, you can get a command-line at any time by pressing shift-f10.
>>
>>333965
If Windows 7 came with your PC, use any Windows 7 media, use the key on the sticker, and phone Microsoft if prompted.
>>
>>333970
>bootrec /fixboot puts back the windows bootsector (use if windows loader never loads in the first place, PC tries to boot from network or DVD)

The thing is, I tried it and it doesn't work.
Loader didn't load ("disc boot failure insert windows cd" or something along these lines) so I throw in DVD with Win 7 and there tried this command after every other tool weren't able to find booting files on the HDD.

both "bootrec /fixboot" and "bootrec /rebuildbcd" end up with "Couldn't find the element"

>
Try using the Windows 10 installer's bootrec: it's newer and better. You can get Windows 10 media for free by googling "windows 10 media creation tool".

I can try this.

>>333972
The thing is I don't have sticker. It's old copy that I got back when I was still in collage (student licence granted by the university for free). Files on the computer are the only plcae where I can find serial number.
>>
>>334006
Those copies are retail, so if you donfind the number, you can install it on any PC.
>>
>>333965
The hail mary in this situation is:

- find and rename/move/delete \boot\; it's either on the same partition as \windows\ or on a ~100MB one just for the bootloader

- if the disk is MBR, use diskpart to make sure the partition with \boot\ is marked active
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /rebuildbcd

If that doesn't work, it's because there isn't a windows install *to* boot.
>>
>>333965
As for recovering your product key, https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easiest-way-to-recover-xp-and-vista-product-key-from-dead-or-unbootable-windows/
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.