[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /wsr/, I'm looking for a fellow latin speaker for translating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: lacrimosa.jpg (1MB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
lacrimosa.jpg
1MB, 3508x2480px
Hi /wsr/,

I'm looking for a fellow latin speaker for translating this sentence :

"he shall rise again from the ashes"

In pic related, the two first lines apparently don't make sense without the third one.

The thing is, I want just the two first lines making a complete sentence, by adding the "he" idea, but I don't know how to translate it, and I don't trust online translators when it's about latin.

So, the text I want should look like :

"Lacrimosa dies illa
??? resurget ex favilla"

Thanks for your help, I hope I was clear enough.
>>
It says:
>... this tearful day, on which the guilty man, who is to be judged, shall rise from the ashes
>so forgive him, God

If you just take the part
>Resurget ex favilla.
it translates to
>He shall rise from the ashes.

Latin doesn't have a word for "he".
The masculine words to refer to someone are: hic, iste, ille, is, qui.
But you probably don't want that. You want the sentence to have no subject.

(Disclaimer: my knowledge of Latin is not perfect either.)
>>
>>332871
Sorry, I forgot that you want the first part as well, so the sentence becomes different:
>On this tearful day
>he will rise from the ashes.
=
>In lacrimosa die illa
>resurget ex favilla.

So, the word "qua" (=on which) is removed and replaced with "in" (=on), and the nominative "dies" becomes ablative "die".
You can change the order a bit if you want, i.e.
>Lacrimosa in die illa

Note that in classical Latin, dies (=day) is masculine, but in this song it is feminine for some reason. I don't know when it changed.
If you want it to be masculine, it would be
>In lacrimoso die illo

(Disclaimer: Latin still not perfect.)
>>
>>332871
>>332873
thank you very much for your help man!
>>
>>332875
np
>>
>>332876
"Lacrimosa in die illa resurget ex favilla."
This order is great for me. Thanks again!
>>
>>332871
>You want the sentence to have no subject.
You mean "you want the sentence to have an implied subject", I hope?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.