[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Understanding Merge Sort algorithms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: mergesort.png (50KB, 1299x735px) Image search: [Google]
mergesort.png
50KB, 1299x735px
Hey,

I am having a hard time understanding merge sort algorithms - to be exact, I cannot really tell how the computer knows why he has to split the right side as well?
From what I see what it does is: Is p (which is the first object in the array) < r (which is the last object in the array)
So the function is called and the left side is split. But by the time the right side Mergesort(A, p, q) is fully split, the if condition should equal wrong so Mergesort isn't executed. But instead, it does it for Mergesort(A, q+1,r) although I don't get how. Before Mergesort(A, q+1,r) is called, Mergesort(A, p, q) is called, whose r parameter is q but now we have arrays of containing single elements for the right side. See next pic. So instead of never executing Mergesort, it does something I cant wrap my head around.
Will post merge and how it works for the left half.
>>
>>
File: full.png (68KB, 1294x731px) Image search: [Google]
full.png
68KB, 1294x731px
heres the full pseudo code
>>
File: 2017-06-17-014708_703x691_scrot.png (53KB, 703x691px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-17-014708_703x691_scrot.png
53KB, 703x691px
I'm by no means an expert, but I post the 5-8 pages on my book explaining it if you'd like.
>>
File: 2017-06-17-014716_789x734_scrot.png (130KB, 789x734px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-17-014716_789x734_scrot.png
130KB, 789x734px
multiple image posts when?
>>
>>332767
Every help is appreciated. Though I know what mergesort is supposed to do: split up an array until p == r and then merge them while sorting. Easier said than done though. It may also be possible that the mergesort code is off
If you could, please post the pages
>>
File: 2017-06-17-014726_814x872_scrot.png (187KB, 814x872px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-17-014726_814x872_scrot.png
187KB, 814x872px
Maybe that broken down algorithm in the last two will help you understand it. If it does you can pay me back here ;)

>>332728
>>
>>332769
>>332768
>>332769
If you want more pages let me know, I can post the whole section on merge but I think that algorithm bit is probably what you're looking after meticulously reading it over. I've only glossed it so far, so sorry I can't be of more help!
>>
File: 2017-06-17-015707_786x542_scrot.png (112KB, 786x542px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-17-015707_786x542_scrot.png
112KB, 786x542px
>>332771
last note after algorithm here
>>
>>332771
As for your problem, I can't help you. All of my slides are in german. Again, thanks for the scans
>>
>>332777
of course, if you need anymore let me know, good luck nazi-anon
>>
>>332760
Sounds like a scopus problem to me. If the condition is fulfilled, you will split and merge all of it, not just the first half, since that is still in the scopus. Probably just recursively applied to all elements.
But my basics are a bit rusty so take that with a grain of salt.
>>
>>332760
>But by the time the right side Mergesort(A, p, q) is fully split, the if condition should equal wrong so Mergesort isn't executed.
This is the base case of the recursion. There's always gotta be a base case, otherwise your recursion will never finish. In our case, "base" means p==r (p will never be less than r). You can't sort an array with only one element, so nothing happens - within this function body. However, the parent function call can still take this item and the other side and merge them. You will have *r* times where Mergesort says "uhh there's only one element, so I can't do anything", at which point the calling function can do a merge.

Remember that p,q, and r will be local to each function call in the recursion. You could put the (A,q+1,r) above (A,p,q) and get the same result.
>>
>>332795
So, the base case is never met. Okay.
But how are lines 4 and 5 called? Should it not loop after calling line 3?
>>
And where exactly are the sub-arrays sorted?
>>
>>332798
No, the base case IS met. It's met a total of r times, r being the Top-level r at the very first mergesort call. There's nothing that would cause us to loop or get stuck.
>>
>>332800
How is Merge Sort called again after the base condition is met?
Take a look at this.
This is the pseudo code in better:

if (lowIndex == highIndex)
return;
else {
int midIndex = (lowIndex + highIndex) / 2;
mergeSort(list, lowIndex, midIndex);
mergeSort(list, midIndex + 1, highIndex);
merge(list, lowIndex, midIndex, highIndex);
}
}

The base case is
if (lowIndex == highIndex

hwo do you do any of

mergeSort(list, midIndex + 1, highIndex);

if the base case is met by
mergeSort(list, lowIndex, midIndex);
>>
>>332799
The actual sorting happens in >>332762 lines 13-19. You are taking the two sub-arrays A[p,q] and A[q+1,r], and making a combined new array where you simply pop out whatever number's lower, until you reach the end of both sub-arrays. Then you copy-paste that new array over A[p,r] - bam, that subsection of A is sorted. I'm describing it in a kinda backwards way compared to your image, but the end result is the same.
>>332802
I think I see the crux of the matter. When "return" happens in that base case, it doesn't stop your entire sort - ONLY that one function call. "return" is exactly what allows that second recursive mergesort call to happens, because it means that the first mergesort has stopped. You need to think about it in a larger context than just one function.
>>
>>332805
>The actual sorting happens in >>332762 (You) lines 13-19. You are taking the two sub-arrays A[p,q] and A[q+1,r], and making a combined new array where you simply pop out whatever number's lower, until you reach the end of both sub-arrays. Then you copy-paste that new array over A[p,r] - bam, that subsection of A is sorted. I'm describing it in a kinda backwards way compared to your image, but the end result is the same.

Isn't merge called only once? How do so many merge operations occur then?
>>
>>332896
It's called once for every pair of mergesort calls. Meaning,non-base cases where you have to split your array section in half. By the time the very top-level Merge is called, the two halves of the full array are already sorted via Merges that occurred higher on the stack.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.