[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Constant intrusion attempts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: how do i summon.gif (16KB, 468x60px) Image search: [Google]
how do i summon.gif
16KB, 468x60px
Norton security suite tells me that it's blocked an intrusion attempt almost every single day. So far Norton's been blocking them just fine but it really worries that someone tries to hack my computer every day.

Is their anything I can do to stop the attempts? Will a VPN help?
>>
Seems normal. Your computer is connected to the Internet, and other computers try to connect to it (to see if you have their trojan installed by any chance), but your firewall blocks it just in case.
>>
>>332352
Shameless bump
>>
>>332401
Why?
Your question's already been answered you fuckwad.
>>
>>332411
No it hasn't.
>>
>>332352

Norton is shilling you that it's actually working.

Norton is a pile of shit.
>>
>>332525
>Is their anything I can do to stop the attempts?

Disconnect your computer from the Internet.

>Will a VPN help?

No.
>>
No offense intended, but I doubt you have anything that hackers would want.

Malwarebytes is considered reputable. If you're worried, consider getting their free version (free = no autoscans) and running that. Make sure you disable Norton first, as antivirus tend to fight each other.

Also, ensure your computer is updated regularly. I know it can be a hassle to update Windows, but it is important.

Have you ever thought about switching to OSX, Linux, or BSD? Viruses are a much smaller concern, and Windows really isn't the best choice for privacy.

IMHO, this.
>>332600
>>
File: Hz0hQdo.jpg (99KB, 700x453px) Image search: [Google]
Hz0hQdo.jpg
99KB, 700x453px
>>332352
>Is their anything I can do to stop the attempts?
>>
>>332680
New and improved formula
GNU + Linux
>>
>>332352
Sounds like your ISP is sweeping your ports. Mine does it too once every couple of days, for some reason.

>>332680
>>332832
I use linux, and if it's the same thing, he'll still get the warning in your linux firewall.

Don't get me wrong though. If you're really worrying about getting invaded, do install linux and properly configure your network, of course.
>>
>>332841
>properly configure
you mean static routing tables or a firewall or what?

I'm a noob tryna into networking
>>
>>332880
He means that when you get hacked, it's not linux's fault, it's yours for not "properly configuring" it.

You need to stop worrying about shit like this. It's in Norton's interest for you to be scared (because it makes you feel Norton is needed), and for it to alert you about things that aren't a problem (because it makes you feel Norton is doing something).

What Norton is doing is taking something absolutely normal (on the Internet, a giant network of interconnected computers, some computer has tried to connect to your computer, and your computer has said "no, thank you") into something terrifying, when it's not.

Computers trying to connect to your computer is absolutely normal. If you play games, how do you think multiplayer could work if no-one was allowed to initiate a connection to anyone? Even if you don't engage in gaming, peer-to-peer file sharing, etc., your address doesn't stay the same forever. It's perfectly normal to get a connection attempt or two from some computer that doesn't know he's using his friend's old IP address and getting you by accident.

tl;dr: run the Norton Removal Tool (google it), install Avira Free (google it) and Avira popup blocker (google it), then stop worrying about things you shouldn't be worrying about.
>>
>>332893
Oh, I'm not OP. I'm just interested in networking and security.

So, what benefits does a 'hardened' OS offer if your computer can refuse connections so easily? Is there somewhere I can learn more about this?
>>
OP here: Thanks for all the replies. I assumed this thread already died, I didn't expect it to still be going on.

I've played around with Linux a bit in a virtual machine but I'm a bit hesitant about making the jump. Maybe when I build a desktop in a few months I'll consider using Linux as my main OS.

The intrusion attempts look like phishing sites or something. The alerts are usually for fake browser extension, fake tech support, and fake flash player download.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-17_21-01-37.jpg (131KB, 1176x735px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-17_21-01-37.jpg
131KB, 1176x735px
>>333088

Which Linux?
Depending on the distro it can be more or less Windows- like.
Some first step fine tuning might be required.
Also no need making a complete jump, do what most people do, make a multi-boot system with both OSs.
>>
>>333114
Ubuntu
>>
File: Luckystrikes.jpg (56KB, 300x354px) Image search: [Google]
Luckystrikes.jpg
56KB, 300x354px
>>333088
Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro, Debian, and Fedora are excellent beginner choices. Ubuntu and Mint will be the most comfortable transition from windows. I like Manjaro the best because it has access to the AUR, which can get you almost any piece of software you need, and is still very user friendly.

It really doesn't matter, though.
>>
>>333119

With Unity?

Really needs getting used to. Another desktop environment is definitely recommended even if staying Ubuntu. Use Kubuntu (KDE) or Xubuntu (XFCE).
The one in the screenshot is Fedora btw, but not the normal Fedora you can find under getfedora.org, the XFCE desktop environment version.
But basically everything EXCEPT Unity...
>>
>>332899
It's of benefit when your computer is actually accepting connections, i.e. if it's running a webserver or similar.
>>
>>332841
>linux firewall
GNU/Linux doesn't even have a firewall out of the box. Look it up dumbfuck.
>>
>>333088
Don't you have an adblocker?
>>
>>333355
Yeah, I use uBlock Origin as an adblocker along with Ghostery to block scripts.
>>
>>333395
I also use Popup Blocker Pro
>>
>>333165
http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/latest/source/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.c

You massive, massive spastic.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.