[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help understanding something about the quadratic formula

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: math_prob[1].png (6KB, 412x188px) Image search: [Google]
math_prob[1].png
6KB, 412x188px
Hi, everyone.

I am kinda stuck on a math exercise, and I'd very much appreciate some help. Here's its instruction:

"A quadratic equation can be written both like 'ax^2 + bx + c = 0', and like 'x^2 + px + q'. Show that the first equation have the roots [First picture]."

First of all, I understand that q = c/a, and that p = b/a. But, when I look at the answer sheet, I follow the solution all the way to the last step, where I'm stuck [Second picture]

All help is appreciated.
>>
File: math_prob[2].png (24KB, 240x311px) Image search: [Google]
math_prob[2].png
24KB, 240x311px
Here's the solution given in the answer sheet. I don't understand how the right hand side of the last two equations (from up, downwards) equal each other (._.)
>>
>>331347
You can pull out a 1/2a from the denominator of sqrt(1/(4a^2)).

So you have:
-b/2a + (1/2a * sqrt(shit))

And since they have the same denominator you get:
-b + sqrt(shit) all over 2a
>>
recall that sqrt(a / b) is equal to sqrt(a) / sqrt(b)

also recall that you have to be 18 to post here and this is middle school homework
>>
>>331355
>>331356
I don't understand. The use of the word shit doesn't help.

Calling me underage doesn't help. You don't impress me by acting rude on the internet.
>>
>>331355
I don't understand what you mean by "pull out" 1/2a from the denominator of sqrt(1/(4a^2))... does it go somewhere or something?
>>
I don't understand how I can just change the discriminant's denominator to 2a just like that.
>>
>>331356
If this is really easy for you then it should be very simple for you to explain it. Yet here you are.
>>
File: ez.png (6KB, 218x167px) Image search: [Google]
ez.png
6KB, 218x167px
>>331367
i did explain it:
>recall that sqrt(a / b) is equal to sqrt(a) / sqrt(b)
that should be enough to realize what is being done here

picrelated is an even more step-by-step explanation
>>
>>331369
Thank you so much! Now I see it.

I knew coming here was a good idea. Thank you again!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.