[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Factory reset HP 11 G4 Chromebook

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

I bought a HP 11 G4 Chromebook from a guy online and it proved to be stolen goods, and I'm completely locked out of the system by the school's system (says that the school has locked it and that I should contact them).

Is there ANY way for me to reset it without going to the school which is literally across the country (not that far, but still a 3 hour drive)?

I tried to access developer mode, but that was disabled.
>>
how have they locked it?
just run some kind of live disc and change the password
or format the harddrive and reinstall the os
>>
File: 20170605_160024.jpg (6MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20170605_160024.jpg
6MB, 2988x5312px
This is what I see.

At the bottom it says to contact the IT support on the school to have them help me unlock it, but like I said it's on the other side of the country.
>>
>>326650
If you could get around the antitheft lock with this one weird trick, it wouldn't be much of an antitheft lock, would it, Jamal.

Do the right thing, phone the school, and offer to ship it back to them if they pay shipping. Even though you gave a guy some money, it's still theirs, not yours.
>>
>>326660
Normally I would suggest just running a linux distro and gaining access by [spoiler]fucking[/spoiler] around w/ the registry, but I know [spoiler]jackshit[/spoiler] about chromebooks.
I only found this;
Edit the GRUB kernel Boot and add "single" and "init=(slash)bin(slash)bash" without quotes at the end, after it booted into a the shell mode just write "passwd" without quotes and change the root password

Usually passwords are stored in (slash)etc(slash)passwd, (slash)etc(slash)shadow

Chrome OS seems like a [spoiler]sumbitch[/spoiler], I would just backup your files, format your HD and reinstall OS
>>
>>326683
You can't mess with the kernel command-line on a Chromebook, because there's a chain of trust all the way from the 1BL.

The whole point of Chromebooks is that it's impossible for them to boot anything but a Google-approved and Google-signed OS image; if your brilliant plan involves "mess with the OS image" or "mess with the bootloader", it's not going to work.
>>
>>326730
This starts at the BIOS level?

If so, just fly to Austria, steal security certificates, re-flash BIOS.
>>
>>326755
It'd be a pretty shit secure boot if it didn't.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.