[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on hard drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170605_135222.jpg (3MB, 3735x1054px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170605_135222.jpg
3MB, 3735x1054px
I'm going to buy a new laptop and I need to choose between a 250 Go ssd and a 1 To sshd (8 Go ssd). Mostly for studying and light programming, but I'm not sure if 250 is enough. The machine will run some sort of Linux so I probably will want to use virtual machines and I have to get rid of the CD reader if I want a second hard drive and it would cost more. Please help me out.
>>
250 is enough. VMs can take up a considerable amount of space, but that all depends, obviously. I'm sure you know how fixed/dynamic space works, so I won't get into it.

I've got a shit-ton of music and general applications, and I've only used 100.63 GB. Of course, that's not a lot for you to go off on, but your experience will obviously vary, so no point.

Anyway, I'd say 250 is enough.
>>
>>326603
Definitely, definitely go with the SSHD. All that money you spent on the SSD? You're just flushing it down the toilet when you discover the SSD is full, and you need to buy another SSD for more than twice the price.

Unless you're using the laptop as a second machine, and all your media is on a NAS or similar, 240GB (really 224GB) is simply not enough.
>>
Thanks, great help. It will be a secondary machine. I'm actually only starting to learn about all of this so I don't know what fixed or dynamic space really mean (I do have an idea but I'm still really in the early stages of knowing how everything works) anyway thanks to you guys I know the 250 is enough. Thanks
>>
>>326603
That options list is extortion. Get the laptop with the cheapest storage you can, and buy the storage separately.

You can get a *2TB* SSHD, *plus* whatever the default drive is (take it out and put it in a €10 USB enclosure and use it for backup), for less than the supplement for a 1TB SSHD.

I'd happily bet the RAM is the same deal. Get the cheapest you can, and buy what you really want and fit it yourself.

All this goes double if the first thing you're going to do is wipe it and put Linux on.
>>
>>326608
>>326607
The really great thing is that they're listing the exact parts, so all you have to do is google them and see what they really cost and what the markup is.
>>
>>326608
well its a configurable laptop, they sell it with Ubuntu if you want (no charge of course), i went with 8 Go of RAM and everything else basic. would you recomend only buying 2 Go?
>>
>>326607
Basically what it sounds like, yeah.

If the virtual HDD space is fixed, and you set it to 50 GB, it'll take up 50 GB on your HDD immediately.

If you set it to dynamic and put 50 GB, it'll only take up as much as what you use. So if you use 39 GB, it'll only take up 39 of the possible 50 on your actual HDD.
>>
>>326609
i googled the parts i want and they arn't bulshiting, the prices are fair, at least in the region i'm buying them.
>>
>>326612
I would pick whatever on the options list is the cheapest, then have a look on pcpartpicker (if it operates in your country) for what the upgrades they're selling you would cost if you got them yourself.

I think it's entirely possible to get your laptop with an 850 Pro and 16GB for the same price as they're selling a no-name and 8GB if you shop around like this, and fitting it yourself is literally just undoing a few screws and plugging some stuff in.

You absolutely do need 16GB for programming and VM work; ideally 32 or 64.

If you have a choice between Ubuntu and W10 and they're the same price, go with W10. This will give you a product key in the BIOS, that you can then use inside a VM. You can easily install Ubuntu yourself; why wouldn't you take a free Windows license?
>>
>>326622
the license isn't free that is, only the Ubuntu one is. and i'm not very confident about changing pieces on my own, i'm a 19 year old dumbass who doesn't now how all of this works realy
>>
>>326626
know*
sorry about that
>>
>>326626
If I told you I'd pay you €250 for an hour's work, you'd jump at the chance, right?

So take an hour sourcing the same components your OEM is trying to sell you at a 80-120% profit margin, and learning how to fit them yourself, and you'll be €250 richer than if you didn't. It really is as easy as this video demonstrates, and if you google "<your computer> service manual", you'll find a book that tells you exactly how to do it on your exact computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcBwnb8rENQ
>>
>>326603
don't get the 1tb harddrive if it's a spinning type, it'll eat your battery life

250gb is plenty , make sure its got usb3.0 for backups etc/
>>
>>326603
Hybrid drives are garbage and SSDs are too small unless you're willing to spend a fortune. Just buy an 8TB HDD and call it a day.
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 640x512px
>>326788
>8TB
What form factor is that, 2.5"x28mm?
>>
>>326793
Get with the times grandpa. There are 10TB disks that aren't bigger than 1TB disks.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.