[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help a chem engineering brotha out with 1.2a? :")

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20170604-002541.png (551KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170604-002541.png
551KB, 1440x2560px
Help a chem engineering brotha out with 1.2a? :")
>>
>>325550
I am bored so had a go.
I know some Chemistry to about AS level but had no idea where to begin with this.

This video should help though because it's similar to the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR7pyO3HZW0

I've written it out and am trying to go through it now.
>>
>>325832
Alright so I made some progress.

Here's what I've got but basically I hit a wall because that video is a simpler example and I haven't got the knowledge to understand where to go next.

I believe I worked the molar flowrate at stream 6 is 90000 mol per hour.

This is using inert N2 in and out and flowrate:

Nitrogen mol in * Flowrate In = Nitrogen mol out * flowrate out
(0.027) * (180000) = (0.054) * (N6)
rearranged for N6 works out as 90,000 mols per hour.

Nitrogen Mol 0.054 at stream 6 is from 0.0227 mol at [1], 0.121 mol at [2] indicating that stream 7 contains some at 0.094 mol. At stream [5] it's 0.148 so at 6 it's 0.054.
For the composition this is where the problem stopped me going further. The reaction works but not all CH3OH at [4] is converted to liquid and some escpaes as gas to [5] and then [6].

Thinking about this as I type, you should be able to work out how much isn't converted to liquid because you're given a kg/h measurement of 1550. What your yield is can be taken by expected yield - 1550 = gas escaped.
From there You're left with CO and H2 at both [5] and [6] but you can use the equation from the video above because you can solve for those two variables.
I hope this helps a little but I'm not very confident I've done it right, nor what I've said is correct. Like I say I'm not a chemist but I gave it a try and understand what needs to happen, I just can't do it.

I have written stuff down if you want that but it's not much use if it's wrong and it's very messy. I'd rather do it again.
>>
isnt this just applied yr12 chemistry? i dis rate of flow in physics and it looks similar
>>
>>326336
No because you have to tackle mols as well.

You can use it a little for the rates but for the composition you need mols.
>>
>>326343
which is the first part of my question, moles are a yr9 chemistry thing, you just change the units your working in to moles
>>
>>326359
Mols was a yr 9 thing a few years ago but not anymore. it's now yr 12 for the UK.

I believe I did that.
>>
>>326360
what the fuck? why would you wait so long to introduce moles?its a simplistic concept that has applications at every stage of chemistry. i mean using it in yr12 is fine but theres so much other shit to learn, especially in organic chem that its wasting time. did they even replace it with anything? it was similar here in Australia only not with mols but they removed sub orbits from the curriculum for a year, pretty sure its back now though
>>
>>326371
Well because Britain is full of retards.

Mols aren't difficult but Chemistry is dumbed down alot here because they found people would struggle to grasp the concept in tests and exams.

The first term of yr 12 is mainly units, mols, orbitals and our school gave us a bog booklet of questions to do to speed us through those topics quickly.

Yr 10 and Yr 11 still teach a basic solar system model of atoms.
>>
>>326394
this is your "a" level (or whatever its called)? shouldn't the solar system be in physics, specifically astrophysics? atom too, we stopped looking at the atom after yr11 nuclear physics
>>
>>326397
Yr 10 and 11 : GSCE
Yr 12 and 13 : A level. (Chemistry)

In Yr 10 and 11, it is taught that atoms are like solar systems with electron orbits, they touch on shells.

In Yr 12 and 13 it's then taught with probabilities of electrons ie no orbits but orbitals and sub shells.
But you don't go into the further end of the orbitals and only just up to the D orbital but not F.
>>
>>326401
whoa year13. are you 19 in that year? that seema more reasonable if you have a 13th year, i just assumed it was a 12 year system.
>>
>>326408
Yes.

A levels used to be two parts.

AS levels in Yr 12
and then
the full A level was awarded in Yr 13.

Now the exams will be sat in Yr 13.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.