[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A PC game like Breath of the Wild that can run on a toaster?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: 0.png (7MB, 2849x3591px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
7MB, 2849x3591px
I want a similar whimsical, fun, sandboxy experience, where you can go as far as the eye can see and even further and always stumble across some new cool shit to see, do, and immerse yourself in.

The requirement? It has to be able to run on this here toaster:

- AMD Ahtlon II X4 @ 2.8GHz
- 4GB RAM
- AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB

>inb4 Witcher 3
Already played it to death.
>inb4 Bethesda games
Already played them to death, too.
>inb4 upgrade your PC
I can't. Where I live hardware is ridiculously expensive.
>inb4 buy a Switch or WiiU
I can't. Where I live consoles and console games are ridiculously expensive, even more so than PC hardware.
>inb4 emulate BotW
I can't. PC isn't nearly good enough for emulating WiiU.
>inb4 emulate other Zelda games
Other Zelda games aren't as exploration-heavy and their worlds are pretty lackluster content-wise.
>>
Divinity 2 Director's Cut
Somewhat janky action rpg. Not exactly open world in the vein of botw/witcher 3/bethesda games, so don't expect the "see that mountain, you can climb on it" kind of world, but it's open enough, and despite the restricted size of its maps it still gives off the feeling of exploration and finding hidden shit.
While not so much on the sandbox side, it definitely hits the whimsical and fun parts. The world is built much like Witcher in that sense of "while serious stuff is happening it doesn't mean that fun things won't happen, just like in real world". It just takes the humor approach a bit further. Think of Fable.
I can guarantee that it's great if you can put up with some moderate low-budget jank.
Just make sure you get the director's cut, though I don't think the older version is even up for sale anywhere.
>>
>>322280
>While not so much on the sandbox side
What do you mean by that, exactly? Does it mean I can't just go off exploring and adventuring whenever I want and I'm pretty much forced to do the story or what?
>>
>I can't. Where I live hardware is ridiculously expensive.

you cant buy parts online?
>>
>>322277

Rust, enjoy the open voice comms.
>>
I barely play open world, but something like these should fit. At least sort of, I don't know what you consider fun and whimsical.
Any GTA
Saint's Row 2-4
Just Cause 2/3
Far Cry series
MGS:V
Dark Souls series
>>
>>322283
Well, it just isn't a "sandbox" rpg like e.g. Elder Scrolls -games.
Further areas open up by main-quest progression but once you get to them you're free to explore and do side-quests as you please.
There are also a couple of point-of-no-returns where a map is closed away from you but the game is pretty clear about this if I recall correctly. Just do everything and then move on.
>>
>>322288
What difference would it make? The price would still be more or less the same.

>>322289
Single player games only. Forgot to mention that.

>>322290
Most of your suggestions take place in pretty contemporary settings (and the only one that doesn't isn't really open world in a sandbox sense). This is not the kind of game world I'm looking for. What I'd say I consider in terms of setting is something full of the kind of charming places you can't see in real life. So, pretty much a lush, colourful fantasy or sci-fi setting.

>>322291
Ah, I see. Not really what I'm looking for, then. I'd like something a bit more open than that. I'll consider it if nothing better shows up.
>>
>>322290
Also forgot to mention what I consider "fun" in terms of open world games. I'd say something where the world doesn't feel empty and barren, and has tons of cool locations to discover. Also something where the quest variety doesn't begin and end on "bring me 10 wolf pelts because reasons".
>>
>>322294
>I'll consider it if nothing better shows up.
Yeah well, you pretty much have to do that now based on this thread.
Regardless it's a really fun game so even if it goes a bit aside from all of your desires, as a video game in general you're still getting something good.
>>
>>322297
>Yeah well, you pretty much have to do that now based on this thread.
Why? It's been only up for like, what, 45 minutes? Something better might still pop up.
>>
>>322294
>>322295
>So, pretty much a lush, colourful fantasy or sci-fi setting.
From that list only dark souls kinda fits that requirement. But it does not have sidequests, you barely have any quests.
What about the fable series?
>>
>>322299
>What about the fable series?
Already played them all multiple times. Still, they don't fit in terms of open world. Fable's world design is more like a bunch of narrow corridors connected to each other, trying to pass off as a world.
>>
>>322298
Sorry, but I seriously doubt it. These kinds of games aren't exactly super common in the first place, and all of your wishes combined create some very heavy restrictions.
>>
>>322303
I'm probably not going to do that, but hypothetically speaking, what requirement should I loosen up on to get more suggestions, then?
>>
>>322304
>where you can go as far as the eye can see and even further
There are a lot of open world games of varying sizes and styles but this is really specific.
Still, obviously every game has a limited size to its world.
You should probably rather be looking for games that give the feeling of exploration and/or adventure through other means than just the sheer scope of the playfield.

I guess you could try the original Guild Wars. Yes, it's an MMORPG but the playerbase is now miniscule so you pretty much have to play it solo anyway, which is doable to an extent. Its format also was instanced maps that connect to online hubs. Often it felt more like a co-op rpg rather than mmo.
Buy all four campaigns and you've got yourself a world of massive size.
>>
>>322308
>You should probably rather be looking for games that give the feeling of exploration and/or adventure through other means than just the sheer scope of the playfield.

I already tried looking for something like that in 5 different places (including this very board). The results were... less than satisfactory, mostly because people were giving me hilariously inaccurate suggestions.

>Yes, it's an MMORPG but the playerbase is now miniscule so you pretty much have to play it solo anyway,

If I wanted a single player MMO, I'd play Dragon Age Inquisition or Kingdoms of Amalur.
>>
>>322304
Not him, but you're looking for a game with an open world game that focuses on exploration in a high fantasy setting that's loaded with quests/sidequests. There aren't many games that fit these requirements since a game like that would need a huge budget and great writing to not be shit. Games just don't get a huge budget unless the publisher is really confident in the returns of that investment. You've already played the most popular ones that sort of fit those requirements so it's nearly impossible to give you something new that isn't exactly breath of the wild.
I don't know, What about the gothic series, risen series, mad max?
>>
>>322311
I really can't help you further then. I still suggest you look into Divinity 2.
>>
>>322312
>I don't know, What about the gothic series, risen series, mad max?

Already played Gothic and Risen. They're kind of close to what I want, but at the same time, their unnecessarily unforgiving difficulty, where you can get mauled to death by a single rat if your character doesn't have at least mid-tier equipment and military-grade combat training doesn't really fit in with what I'm looking for right now.

As for Mad Max, look at my PC specs again. I couldn't run it even if I wanted to.

Also, I want to say that I'm not really looking for something super exceptional. Hell, I don't even believe Breath of the Wild is as awesome as people make it out to be. What I want and am dead set on, however, is something that fits all of my criteria (so a very world with tons of stuff to do in and discover, and a feeling of great adventure), but so far you haven't given me anything that fits exactly.
>>
>>322319
>so far you haven't given me anything that fits exactly.
That's because your combined criteria happen to be frankly unreasonable. You'd find a couple of options if you were willing to look even a bit further than staying this rigidly in them.
>>
>>322319
Well sorry to say this, but what you're describing is a game that has it's ambitions set very high. A game like that would not only want to tell a great story but build an immersive world for the player to explore, which takes a ton of resources from map makers, writers and so forth. Literally only the big devs can even think about creating a game like that, and to make sure they make their money back they run a huge marketing campaign along side it. It's highly unlikely there are any hidden gems you haven't heard of that do exactly that, especially since you've played a ton of games that loosely fit the requirements and going off your responses you know your shit about them.
Your best bet is to do your own research or try to lurk/start a discussion on /v/ for a similar game to what you're looking for. Maybe even search the archives for discussions of a similar game and see if anyone has asked/answered recommendations for more games like that.
>>
>>322323
I asked what exactly I should loosen up on. The answer you've given me was pretty much "everything", which is not a reasonable thing to do at all in this case because if I loosened up on everything, there would be no criteria at all and even Call of Duty would fit because it's a video game.

However, as long as the requirements I'm to be more lenient on are reasonable and mostly minor, and I'll still get something very close to what I want, then it's fine.
>>
>>322325
>Your best bet is to do your own research or try to lurk/start a discussion on /v/ for a similar game to what you're looking for.

Sorry for being new, but how exactly do I start a discussion like that on /v/ without being pointed back to here and/or having my thread deleted by the mods?
>>
>>322327
Start a discussion for a game that is similar to what you're looking for, when the thread picks up a bit you sneak in a question about looking for games that are similar to that game, hopefully someone who also appreciates the genre you're describing has noticed the thread and has a recommendation for you.
If you really are new, just lurk the archives first.
>>
>>322328
Any specific archive you recommend? Because the last time I tried finding one via googling, I ended up on some shit site with tons of popups and a broken search bar.
>>
File: file.png (115KB, 926x831px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
115KB, 926x831px
>>322329
Archives die/are born too often for me to keep up with them, not all archives support searching on high-traffic boards too so you'll have to do your own research.
>>
>>322326
>The answer you've given me was pretty much "everything"
I can't be arsed to go through this thread again to see if someone said so, but I urged you to give some slack on the scope of just how open a world needs to be.
You can pretty much just take any criterion you listed and loosen or remove it, and you'd probably find something that somewhat fits your searching.
Disregarding all games you've already said you have played, a game that I know of and that fits the most to what you seek, not bargaining off the requirement for fantasy/fantastical and shit to do/exploration is still Divinity 2.
Games like this simply are uncommon.
>>
https://winterdrake.itch.io/breath-of-the-nes-zelda-fangame
Not out yeat I think but you may enjoy it when it is.
>>
>>322502
>Entered the site
>"Nintendo has asked me to take stop hosting the game. The project will live on, just not with Zelda characters."

Are they actually, unironically retarded? The guy was just making a non-profit fangame. It's not like a NES demake would hurt BoTW's sales.
>>
>>322521
>Sure, just have my IP instead of thinking up your own and trading on your own reputation instead of mine
>It's cool, because you're giving my stuff away for free
>>
>>322530
Touche.

Good thing regarding that particular project, though, is that when the guy got the C&D, he more or less just told Nintentards to go fuck themselves by literally just changing the title and the names of the characters, while leaving everything else the way it was.
>>
>>322534
So he told them to fuck themselves by complying with the C&D promptly and in full?
>>
>>322537
No. When you get a C&D, you have to stop working on the project and are not allowed to publish it. He is still going to publish it, in unchanged form, just under a different name.
>>
>>322543
No, you are to "cease" and "desist from" doing whatever the C&D asks you to do. Which in this case was "using Nintendo's copyrighted art, using Nintendo's copyrighted and trademarked characters, and passing off on Nintendo's trademarks and goodwill".

If (for sake of argument) Nintendo were asking him to completely remove it from the internet and believed they had grounds to do so, then the response to non-compliance with that request would not have been and "okay then", but a DMCA claim, followed by a full-fat lawsuit if he came back to them with a DMCA response.

None of this happened, because complete removal from the planet was not what Nintendo asked for; what Nintendo did ask for he gave them with a cherry on top.

For another illustration of what companies do and don't own, see Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey. The author had to take out the copyrightable elements of Twilight, but got to keep the generic uncopyrightable stuff and the stuff she didn't rip off.
>>
>>322549
Whatever. The point is, the game will be released and Nintendo can't do shit now.
>>
>>322550
They never wanted to stop the game existing; they just wanted him to stop ripping off their art, characters, names and trademarks.

Which he did.

You seem to think there was some kind of malice behind all this; all Nintendo wanted was for him to write his own game and stop stealing theirs.
>>
>>322575
Except he didn't even stop using their art. All he did was change the name. Which to me is kind of a middle finger to them.
>>
>>322277
I ran Borderlands on a pretty lousy laptop....I wouldn't call that a sandbox type game, but it's fun

Lego Worlds was pretty neat, I saw a "download" of it and tried it out, but I didn't have the time to spend on it
>>
File: 669f91f81370b032adb05ae77e80912a.jpg (256KB, 600x2384px) Image search: [Google]
669f91f81370b032adb05ae77e80912a.jpg
256KB, 600x2384px
>>322277
Meh, in same boat, these types of games are hard to find - which is odd, considering Skyrim's popularity.

Dragon's Dogma has *some* open world aspects (very large areas to explore, at least). It isn't too mean on a PC at the lowest settings.

Maybe the old versions of Witcher, but I've never been able to get into that game. Third person perspective irks me as well. (Though DD has that same issue.)

If yer into voxels, there's tons of Minecraft clones, some of which aren't too rough on the potato. Creativerse can be done single player (though not the most potato friendly of those games).

The Borderlands series provides some exploration factor on older PCs.

Subnautica isn't quite the fantasy genre you're after - but it is absolutely awesome for the undersea exploration effect. It is, however, a bit mean resource-wise.

Dear Esther, if you want an hour long one-shot wander about and look at pretty stuff while being lulled to sleep by dramatic brit voice experience. (Isn't fantasy genre, or even really a game though.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VJ4lP-05A

Ya said inb4 Bethesda - but have you tried ESO:Online? Retains the exploration effect and general feel, even if not quite as pretty as Skyrim. Yeah, there's other players, but you're free to ignore them. Dunno how it'll run on 4MB though.

Beyond that, I got nuttin. Still looking for that sorta thing myself, and I'm not even much limited by this beast of a machine.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.