[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince me to install mint on my 60 year old father's vista

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: BulleitMintJulep_L.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
BulleitMintJulep_L.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
Convince me to install mint on my 60 year old father's vista machine. He is sorta computer literate (bachelor's in mechanical engineering). He is tired of the rig running like shit and is open to a change.
>>
>>3218
>Vista
Heeeeeeeel no.

Install Windows 10 with the free upgrade. That's really all you need to do. So long as the machine's got 4GB or more, it'll be just like Vista, except fast and not shit.
>>
>>3263
has 2g of ram 32 bit OLD
>>
>>3218
Also, if it's Vista, it's probably a Core2-era 775.

Go get a decent 775 off eBay, or if you're feeling saucy, a 771 Xeon and an adapter.

You'd be amazed at the difference going from a 775 Celeron to a Core2 Quad makes, doubly so if it's got one of the Last of the Pentium 4s in it.
>>
>>3266
Windows 10 will still be faster.

But it really needs 4GB.

Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10: they all need 4GB. Not 2GB, 4GB.

XP goes like shit off a shovel with 2GB. Vista does not.

Buy it a DIMM. It'll be like aliens took it away and replaced it with a PC that wasn't shit.
>>
>>3282
windows 10 is not an option i am comfortable with at all
>>
>>3218
install mint on your 60 year old father's vista machine, Anon. you know it's the right thing to do.
>>
>>3328
You're uncomfortable with stuff that's not EOL, and faster than any of its predecessors?

Or did someone tell you it "spies" on you?

Better uninstall Steam right now.
>>
>>3328
MS has been spying on our shit since XP. It's not like installing W10 will change anything (except for GUI and faster speeds and all that nice jazz)
>>
>>3328
Try installing it. When you see how ugly and bad it is, you'll love nuking it and installing Mint.

Also: Vista only has 2 years of security patches left. After that it's upgrade or be h4xxed the second you connect to the internet.
>>
>>3218
Vista is still fine, reinstall it.
Mint is fucking trash.
>>
>>3218
Stop being a faggot and install Arch Linux.
>>
>>3218
Put it on a USB stick and let him try it out. If he like it, install it.
>>
>>3282
>Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10: they all need 4GB. Not 2GB, 4GB.
Retard
>Windows 10 will still be faster.
Retard.
>>
>>3484
>grandma calls up, computer is fucked
>he drops it off
>10,000 toolbars
>reformat
>install Arch Linux
>compile everything from source
>get superior rolling release minimal system
>force all daemons and proessces, x windows, etc required to be manually started (like they SHOULD BE)
>return laptop
>he calls up
>WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT WHAT DID U DO TO MY COMPUTER FUK U KID
Fucking old people, just die already.
>>
>>3492
>Arch
>Compile
>>
>>3487
[citation needed]

It's well-known that Windows has got faster and faster since Vista. Every release has been met with "we expected Windows to be slower, but in fact it's faster. This is not what XP and Vista have led us to expect!".

Do you have any evidence that this widely-held perception is in some way wrong?
>>
>>3495
>what is ABS
>>
File: 18mky8hw2e33ogif.gif (55KB, 636x349px) Image search: [Google]
18mky8hw2e33ogif.gif
55KB, 636x349px
>>3503
>It's well-known that Windows has got faster and faster since Vista
That's just marketing.
>>
>>3515
>he needs ABS in his car
>>
>>3492
>grandma
>he
>>
>>3526
That's a compute-bounded benchmark of a gameloop, dumbass. The only way changing the OS could make a significan difference is if Windows Update could send you a 980.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=taakavJ0mDI
>>
>>3485
This. It means nothing if he doesn't like the OS.

I doubt Mint would be spectacularly more efficient than Vista. Since he has steady income (presumably), convince him to get a new computer, preferably with 7 on it. (For heaven's sake don't let him get 8 or 10).
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.