[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: spring.gif (9KB, 454x340px) Image search: [Google]
spring.gif
9KB, 454x340px
How do I find the unknown mass of an object using a vertical spring system with multiple springs?
>>
Okay, first: do you know the spring constant of every spring?
>>
Hint: at each point where the springs connect the nett force should be 0.
>>
>>318530
No but i have other wieghts with labeled masses
>>
>>318533
Why not use the labeled masses to find the spring constant, and then you can use the spring constant to find the unknown mass
>>
>>318537
A requirement is to deduce the mass from the slope of the best fit line
would i still be able to find the unknown mass that way if i use the different masses and find the spring constant?
>>
Its like this
http://phet.colorado.edu/sims/mass-spring-lab/mass-spring-lab_en.html
Would i be able to find the mass of an unlabeled object using the linearized graph of certain data points?
>>
>>318539
>A requirement is to deduce the mass from the slope of the best fit line
If you have specific requirements for the problem you should always state them. There's often many different ways to solve a problem and you'll just be wasting everyone's time without giving details.

I'm assuming the slope you're talking about is on some graph of distance the string stretches on one axis and mass on the other axis?

If so then you just look at Hooke's law:
F = -kx
m*g = -kx
m/x = -k/g

So since slope is "rise over run" that means m is your "rise" (y-axis) and x is your "run" (x-axis).

Then you use the other masses and start plotting points and make a best fit line.
Once you have the best fit line you see what your x is for the unknown mass and then see what the corresponding y value is on your graph. That will be the mass.
>>
>>318554
but that's deducing the mass from the line of best fit, not the slope of it
>>
>>318634

And?
Best fitting is always done in real experiments and the slope doesnt give you the mass, it gives you the "stretch per mass" / "mass per stetch" depending on how you chose the axis. so to get a mass value you choose a stretch value and look which is its corresponding mass.
>>
>>318634#
I have no idea this is all too confusing for me
>>
>>318634
Yes it is.
You are using the slope, just graphically.

But if you want to actually take the slope value and use it mathematically then find the best fit line, calculate its slope, and then the slope value is equal to
>-k/g
Then use that value and multiply how far the unknown mass stretches the spring and you get the mass.

It's exactly the same, just the other way is a graphical method of multiplying the slope by x.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.