[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open world vidya where I can go on a lonely adventure.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 0.jpg (631KB, 1600x1004px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
631KB, 1600x1004px
I want an open world game that's more on the sandboxy side, where I can truly feel like an adventurer. Something that's more gameplay than story-driven, where there's very little urgency, and the world destruction I have to save everyone from can wait until I actually start giving a fuck about it.

What I want is something with a very expansive world that's interesting to explore, where I can just go on a lonely adventure (preferably with my own created character, but that's not a dealbreaker), full of immersive experiences and interesting discoveries. Basically, I'd like the game to have a very fleshed-out side content department and a world that doesn't feel empty, so that I won't get bored of playing it too quickly. Something where almost every few steps there's a new, totally unique cave/tomb/dungeon to explore and plunder, an atmospheric landmark to look at, a village/town to restock my supplies in, or a interesting quest to complete.

Best examples of games that scratched that itch for me in the past:

- Bethesda games, especially Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 (New Vegas had better story, but FO3 had more shit to explore)
- Starbound. Its map generator is simply godlike and surprises me with something new every time.
- AC4. Side content was a tad bit repetitive, but the world was super fun to explore. The combat was shit, though, and I'd really prefer not to have to play any other games with similar combat system.

Any suggestions? Preferred setting: fantasy. Preferred platform: PC, but I can emulate stuff to a certain degree, too, so older console games are also in.

My (really unimpressive) PC specs:

- AMD Ahtlon II X4 @ 2.8GHz
- 4GB RAM
- Radeon HD 7770 1GB

Thanks in advance for helping a fellow anon out.
>>
OP wants to wander, unhindered, through new worlds. Seeing sights, following battered paths, crossing boundaries, being at one with himself.

Maybe building a camp. Maybe a raft. Then to explore further. Through different climates, through different terrains, new experiences, new environments.

One day OP stumbles over an old camp fire, still smouldering. The sun begins to knife through a pass in the mountains and bathes OP in a pool of morning light by the fire. Op is beginning to dry in the virgin sun. Op sits down by the glowing remnants of an earlier traveller.

"I'm glad I came here", OP muses. "But I thought I was alone."

*camera raises away from OP, moving into the clouds*
>>
>>317927
non scripted ones are the truely open world open ended ones however they keep repeating themselves after a while

scripted ones are the same, once the main quest is over, you are left with repetitive side quests

I suggest writing a book or reading a book
>>
>>317927
did you mean: 'SUBNAUTICA' ?
>>
>>317958
Good suggestion, but I would prefer something that takes place on the surface.
>>
Dragons Dogma?
Witcher?
Mass Effect?
>>
>>317969
>Dragons Dogma?
Played it. Didn't like it, though - the world was too empty and there wasn't much to do apart from some fetch quests and walking around killing monsters.

>Witcher?
I was considering it, but I don't have 50+GB to spare for the GOTY edition right now.

>Mass Effect?

Not open world.
>>
>>317971
Souls series?
>>
>>317973
Not open world either.
>>
>>317974
Nier Autoamata? Small world but still.
Fable sounds up your alley but I'm not sure which ones are on PC. 3 is a bit shit, but might be alright if you haven't played the others.
Kingdoms of Amalur? I thought it was shit but it has its fans.
Rage?
Risen? Not played but heard good things
Borderlands? I'm not sure this really has quests and stuff though, probably not relevant
>>
>>317977
>Nier Autoamata?
PC not good enough.

>Fable sounds up your alley but I'm not sure which ones are on PC.

1 and 3 are on PC. Played both of them to death already.. The world in them was a little small-ish, though.

>Kingdoms of Amalur? I thought it was shit but it has its fans.

I thought it was shit too.

>Rage?

Tried it out a few years ago. I found it pretty meh, to be honest. It was kind of like if they tried to make a Borderlands clone, but failed.

>Risen? Not played but heard good things

Played it, liked it. It doesn't fit what I'm looking for, though. It's hard as balls and limits exploration for you severely until you get decent equipment, which can sometimes take dozens of hours.

>Borderlands? I'm not sure this really has quests and stuff though, probably not relevant

I tried giving it a chance on multiple occasions, but I just couldn't stand its shooting model - it's so stiff and unsatisfying. Plus, it was way too oriented around co-op.
>>
>>317983
Shit, maybe check out some jrpg's?
Witcher 3 should keep you occupied a fair bit if you do grab it. You could even start with Witcher 1/2. Other than that I'm sort of out of ideas. AC games generally have really good worlds, sailing aside so I'd maybe suggest AC2 too. The combat's different from 4 but not by much 2bdesu.
Dust: An Elysian Tale? 2D but it sort of ticks some of the boxes. This is just shit springing to mind now, you'd probably have more luck on /v/ asking within a related thread. Some old Zelda games maybe.
>>
>>317985
>Shit, maybe check out some jrpg's?
Any particular ones you have in mind?

>Some old Zelda games maybe.
Actually, I finished playing through Wind Waker today, so I need some time off from Zelda, especially since they're very similar to each other. Although I have to say that I didn't find Wind Waker's world really compelling - it was very barren and lifeless. Are any other Zelda games, apart from BOTW, any better in that regard?
>>
STALKER could scratch your itch.
>>
>>317986
Sorry man I don't into Zelda or JRPG's really. I know there are loads like Tales, Dragon Quest and FF though
Xenoblade on the Wii too
>>
>>317998
I only played Shadow of Chernobyl, but I generally don't remember it being too adventurous. Or open for that matter - basically, further than 10 metres from the main road and you're fried to death by radiation.
>>
>>318004
What do you mean by adventurous? Try to not use the word adventure again, try to actually explain what you want out of the adventure.

And it is an open world game, there are spots of radiation that you're supposed to detect and avoid. It doesn't seem like you really spent all that long even trying out the game.

Try Dwarf Fortress' Adventure Mode. I honestly think it's probably what you're looking for in terms of openess. Either that or Just Cause 2.
>>
>>318007
>What do you mean by adventurous? Try to not use the word adventure again, try to actually explain what you want out of the adventure.

The feeling of freedom. I want a big, expansive world you can travel through and immerse yourself in, filled to the brim with cool-looking landmarks and interesting, atmospheric locations, such as abandoned ruins, catacombs, camps, towns etc. that you can freely explore and it's always worth it because you're almost always bound something cool and/or useful in there. On top of that, I'd like some compelling quests that don't restrict themselves to "bring me 10 rat heads", but rather tell a separate story of their own.

>Try Dwarf Fortress' Adventure Mode.

Isn't Dwarf Fortress, like, super complicated and hard to learn in general? I'd really like something relatively accessible that I can more or less just pick up and start playing.

>Either that or Just Cause 2.

I played JC2, but I found it boring. It lacked severely in terms of content. It's one of those game that are fun if you're creative and can find entertainment in thinking up creative ways to do crazy shit, which I'm not. I need to have content that's provided by the developer, instead of just exploiting the game for fun.
>>
>>318013
You're really asking for an impossible game.
At this point, your best bet is Baulder's Gate.

The only thing "hard and complicated" about Dwarf Fortress is the UI.
>>
>>318017
>You're really asking for an impossible game.
Not really. It just sounds that way. Look at the examples I've given in the OP. They aren't impossible by any means, and yet they scratched that itch for me really well because, while not perfect by any means, they managed to combine their strengths into a mix that provides tons of entertainment for someone like me.
>>
>>318018
The examples you used are not concurrent with what you want.

You cite Morrowind, an insanely empty game who's only notable achievement was a procedural generated world of same-caves and same-towns. You cite Oblivion, FO3 and NV. All games where the open world is shattered by the fact that you can't explore it because X is higher level than you and you're not quite at that part in the story yet. Lets not forget, Fo3 didn't even have an open world ending until DLC added it in later.

You might like Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.
>>
>>318023
>The examples you used are not concurrent with what you want.
No. It's you who's taking things too literally and too seriously. All I want is an open world game that feels fun to explore and doesn't have that "single player MMO" feel to it many open world RPGs nowadays suffer from, where the world is literally just bland towns and some monsters roaming around, and the only type of sidequest you can is a "bring me 10 wolf skins" fetch quest, and other than that the game has nothing else to offer.
> Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup

Sorry, but this looks too uhh... "oldschool" for my tastes. Also, being limited exclusively dungeon crawling isn't what I'm after. Still, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>317927
Nethack. Infinite replayability if you don't mind really basic graphics and a lot of keyboard commands.
>>
>>318032
>if you don't mind really basic graphics and a lot of keyboard commands

I do mind, actually. While I don't have issues with playing older (or stylized to look older) games, I don't think I'd be able to play something *that* oldschool. 16-bit is my lowest limit.
>>
Maybe try Dragon Quest 8? Or even modded Minecraft?

Also try Divine Divinity maybe. Actually, definitely try Divine Divinity.

Good luck, OP! I definitely know the feeling of having an unscratchable itch like this...
>>
I'm also guessing OSRS wouldn't be what you're after? It is unique and I'd imagine fulfills some of your desires.
>>
Gameinformer had a top 100 RPG games list recently, I'd recommend looking through that if you could find it online.
>>
File: xrengine 2015-05-31 00-54-03-27.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
xrengine 2015-05-31 00-54-03-27.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>318013
> filled to the brim with cool-looking landmarks and interesting, atmospheric locations, such as abandoned ruins, catacombs, camps, towns etc. that you can freely explore and it's always worth it because you're almost always bound something cool and/or useful in there

That describes Stalker though, did you really play it? There is a general quest line, but you can basically do what you want. And the quests are more like "hey go investigate that crashed helicopter" and then on the way you end up in a lot of tunnels under an abandoned gas station and drink vodka. And suddenly you see an electric anomaly, and you run away into a nest of evil things, and then you kill them with fire and drink vodka.
And later the sky gets scary, so you run to find cover in an abandoned bunker and notice something move and hope it was just something small (pic related).
I only played call of pripyat btw, with the cop complete mod, but it hit what you described for me.
>>
FarSky
It's very short and simple. Takes place underwater but there's no grand content. Maybe a nice game to play for 1-3 hours.

Sunless Sky
It's not like the games you've mentioned OP, it's not lonely as in you travel on your lonesome but you travel on a lone ship. Dark and more-or-less eldritch fantasy. Also it's a birds-eye pov like the first gta games.

Gothic?
Idk much about it

Kenshi
My fps is shit but the game has been under constant development for years now

Salt & Sanctuary
2d Dick Souls

Two Worlds
Atrocius gameplay and cringe voice acting but some areas were nice to look at

Wasteland 2
Squad of 1 - 4 people + mercs if you want.
Goes alright but if you dont mind turn-based combat, why not.
>>
>>318090
Just a comment on Gothic, because I love the series to death.

First one happens in a small area, a dome, because the programmers were very limited. In consequence, they had to fill a very small area with as much interesting things as possible. It does not feel small, but it kinda is. Gameplay is clunky, but the dialogue and quests are godlike.

Gothic 2 is like a superior version of the first Risen. It plays similar as well, and is much more open and much bigger than G1. You can go wherever you want if you can play well enough. The hight of the entire series in my opinion. The addon is very good as well. But scavenge the settings menu for some time.

Gothic 3 is good, but you have to use the amazing community patch, or the bugs will ruin it. It's not as immersive as G2, but plays smoother and is still a great experience.

Gothic 4 is a disgrace, with invisible walls and terrible gameplay, I recommend NOT playing that. It won't run well on your system anyway.
>>
Run or play in a D&D type game. All you need is a pen and paper (and a rulebook).
>>
>>318079
>Maybe try Dragon Quest 8?
You mean that super grindy JRPG where the world map is literally empty?

>Or even modded Minecraft?
Are there any mods that make this game turn from garbage into an actual game? Because the last time I tried to play it, it was still garbage.

>Also try Divine Divinity maybe. Actually, definitely try Divine Divinity.
I don't like isometric aRPGs. Sorry.

>>318080
>I'm also guessing OSRS wouldn't be what you're after?
I'm looking for a single player experience.

>>318088
I said I played it. I played only SoC, though, which I'd say in theory was open world, but in practice not at all. Can't say anything for the later games, but from your description it seems they improved it a lot.

Still, I wouldn't say Stalker is what I'm after. I'm looking for something where adventuring feels cool and fun, while Stalker is more like a portrayal of what adventuring would look like in real life - you end up in some shithole, hungry and wounded, with no one around to help you and you slowly die from radiation burning through your skin, while drinking vodka to drown your sorrows.

>>318090
>FarSky
Read >>317962

>Sunless Sky
I'm looking at it and I'm not convinced. Is there more to the "exploration" part other than looking at a representation of a ship sliding around a representation of a world map, looking at representations of Lovecraftian monsters?

>Gothic?
Already played them all. Risen, too.

>Kenshi
I tried playing it some time ago. I got bored after, like, an hour. There's literally no content in this game and from what I read, there isn't going to be because of the creator's philosophy to create a "true sandbox" or some shit like that.

>Salt & Sanctuary
Isn't it a metroidvania and not a true open world game?

>Two Worlds
I remember playing Two Worlds back in 2007 when it came out. I had some fun with it, but even back then I thought it was kinda bad. I don't know if I'd be able to come back to it today. Is TW2 any better?
>>
>>318196 cont.

>>318090
>Wasteland 2
Isn't it more along the lines of Fallout Tactics or Commandos, though? Linear missions?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.