[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Issue with explorer.exe memory usage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: lets_see_here_wait_wait_what.png (2KB, 223x176px) Image search: [Google]
lets_see_here_wait_wait_what.png
2KB, 223x176px
I've been having an issue with explorer.exe on my computer for awhile now where opening files, viewing pictures/music/video files causes it to load a little longer than normal, in particular with the thumbnails and the memory usage goes up and never goes down; at most I've seen it go up to 40,000.

I've used ShellExView to disable certain shell extensions, which only solved one issue (explorer not responding and restarting a lot), but the memory usage of explorer.exe still goes up and the occasional dllhost.exe or two pops up and never leaves (at most only 2 show up and they never use much memory).

I've checked for viruses/rootkits/etc. extensively with malwarebytes and the like, and there are no signs of any of those on my computer. dllhost and explorer aren't fakes or anything, but the usage goes up and rarely goes down the more I view my files (the memory usage does go down after awhile, but it's not by much).

I've tried to rebuild and fix the windows media player library, which actually fixes the issue for awhile but it comes back again like it never happened.

I'm thinking its something to do with thumbnails and video files, so I tried this hotfix, but it didn't really help: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/is-there-a-hot-fix-to-correct-corrupted-media/ffe1e4a2-6d35-4a5a-83b6-b2b42e39ef63

I'm thinking it might be a dllhost memory leak, but I'm not sure if this solution would fix it: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-dllhostexe-memory-leak/7147cdab-a29b-4277-9a33-04199095ca01

What do I do? I'm on Windows 7 btw.
>>
explorer takes some time to create each video thumb if its not already in cache, and honestly 40mb isnt even that much for loading a few seconds of video onto ram, launch the splitter and decoder and get a frame out of it. the value should go down after it has generated all the thumbnails though. clearing the icon/thumbnail cache everytime will only make this worse
with this in mind, i would probably uninstall any codec pack currently in use and install an updated version of another one (cccp, klite, etc.) and see if the issue remains. (make sure to register the installed codec thumbnail handler for explorer to use, there should be an option in the installer/config [ffdshow, lav, ...])
gl
>>
>>318030
What would be a codec pack exactly? This is the first I've heard of this.
>>
>>318031
a bunch of video format decoders and a couple of stream splitters that allows you to play modern video containers/formats (you need at least a splitter for mkv, and im not even sure if win7 supports mp4 h264 out of the box)
just pick one from these
>http://www.cccp-project.net/
>https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

as for just music files, if they make explorer sluggish then you might want to defragment you hdd, since loading the tags/albumart is slow
>>
>>318039
How will I know if I have any codec packs currently in use?
>>
File: 1a9.gif (1MB, 446x469px) Image search: [Google]
1a9.gif
1MB, 446x469px
>>318040
have you ever installed one?
>>
File: 1459191845715awgeez.png (180KB, 522x534px) Image search: [Google]
1459191845715awgeez.png
180KB, 522x534px
>>318041
As I mentioned before >>318031 I've never heard of a codec pack so I don't know if I have one installed.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (41KB, 721x266px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
41KB, 721x266px
>>318044
just go to programs & features and search "codec"
>>
>>318044
>I've never heard of a codec pack
i read that as
>ive never installed one
so there shouldnt be any in your machine. fell free to confirm using >>318056
>>
>>318056
Despite the fact that I have no codecs installed, I tried the second link here >>318039 and downloaded basic, where apparently I somehow have a codec currently running called "On2 VP6 VFW" that it alerted me to disable it to prevent crashes.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.