[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best OS for trading Mini-PC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: ASUS UN45H 3150.png (166KB, 786x587px) Image search: [Google]
ASUS UN45H 3150.png
166KB, 786x587px
Hi /wsr/, so I bought pic related as a seperate system ONLY for online banking and maybe a bit of office work, not connected to my packed and smut infected PC.

Specs:
2GB RAM (will upgrade to 8)
32GB SSD
Intel 2,Ghz processor
Intel HD Grafik
WIn 10 preinstalled

I don't like Win10 but I do not have a clue about Linux and its distros.

What does /wsr/ recommend?
>>
File: 1474166952201.png (171KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1474166952201.png
171KB, 657x527px
>>316409

p-pls respond..
>>
>>316409

Linux

Linux is not difficult these days anymore. Download iso, burn it or put on USB stick and start as live system, if you like it you can then directly install it.
The terminal is od course still there but these days you really have to not use it a lot anymore, most is done graphically too.
The image is a full system, including a browser (mostly FF) and base programs.

With those not that high specs I'd use an XFCE spin, XFCE is a lightweight desktop environment made for using little resources.
>>
>>316425

>Implying I know what XFCE spins are
>Implying I know what the Línux terminal is
>implying I know what FF is

Forgive me my stupidity and enlighten me.

Also I was aware that Linux would be the best choice but what distro is the best? There are literally a hundred or so out there and its confusing.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-17_00-12-39.jpg (102KB, 1176x735px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-17_00-12-39.jpg
102KB, 1176x735px
>>316427
>>316427

Linux is made out of the base kernel, the system that makes it to th carresponing distro like Ubuntu, Fedora, debian... and the desktop environment (DE). The DE provides the for the user visible experience, the Desktop, the windows, how the Graphical user interface looks etc...
The three most well known DEs are KDE and gnome. They are more full blown for powerful systems, then there is XFCE which provides a much more simple desktop but a lot more functional.

The terminal is the console, that black window, you can write commands in there, it is more powerful than graphic menus.
FF is simply Firefox.

This is what an XFCE system then for example looks like.
>>
>>316438

Well thanks, I suppose there are a lot of tutorials how to handle the terminal out there.

Is it true that Linux is more secure than windows? Since I will handle sensible Data on that system.

Is the distro independent from the DE? Like can I put gnome on Ubuntu and Debian as well?
>>
>>316443

I wouldn't say it's more secure, just less targeted.
And it being open source doesn't really help.
>>
>>316445

So are there good firewalls out there?

What do you think of peppermint and linux lite?
>>
>>316427
Ubuntu or Ubuntu MATE (MATE is a diefferent desktop environment tha Ubuntu's “Unity“ DE), everything works put of the box
Elementary OS (Made to look similar to macOS), pretty new, everything OOTB
openSUSE, may have to configure codecs which can be a little bit tricky but there's a fuckton of tutorials out there on jewtube, google etc.
Manjaro (an Arch fork), sometimes unstable but everything should work with your jewtel software
PCLinuxOS and Zorin OS as well as Mageia are all very Windows-like and everything will work.

You shouldn't have a problem installing any of these because of the excellent support for intel hardware on Linux

>is Linux more secure than Windows
Yes. Windows is (sadly) the most virus and adware prone OS on the market (not saying it's unsafe though)
>is the distro independent from the DE?
I don't know really
>Gnome on Debian
Easily the 2nd best or best DE for Debian imo. I really like the design, but Xfce looks cool too
>>
>>316443

Linux is a lot more secure.
Reason for one is that it is no good target because Win is far more widespread and the other one the much more strict permission management, relevant actions can only be done by root which is normally not accessed.

Every DE exist for every Distro. For example Ubuntu normally has a really bad De called Unity, If you want Ubuntu with KDE it is called Kubuntu, with XFCE Xbuntu. Not all have specific names but every DE can be used with every distro.

The one in the pic I am using is the Fedora XFCE spin if you like it

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/download/index.html
>>
>>316450
>>316452

Well that helped a lot already, thank you guys.

I also noticed that some windows apps work on Linux and some do not? How do I know which will?
Also: does Linux use the same file system? Meaning that could I open a text document from windows on Linux and so forth?
Has every Linux distro this kind of appstore thing?
>>
>>316455

No windows app runs natively on Linux, but there is the WINE system these days, this tries to provide a compability layer y providing the same APIs as Windows and translating the inputs for Linux. Wheter it works or not os highly dependant on the program, the community is always trying to increase compability, These days it is already pretty powerful, Even complex Windows games can be played on Linux and as you saw programs like Photoshop and Sai work too.
>>
>>316409
If you were serious about secure banking, you'd have bought an iPod Touch.
>>
>>316409
DEBYAN oll the wai
I'd say with LXDE but it became shit so XFCE
>>
>>316452
>relevant actions can only be done by root which is normally not accessed.
This is literally the same thing as Windows' UAC, except without the clever bits like having the same environment and being able to access remote files as the same user.
>>
>>316461

Too autistic to get your joke m8

>>316458

so is WINE an application for Linux I just install?
>>
>>316455

Linux uses its own file system, these days mostly ext4. Many years ago compability to NTFS was a problem but these days Linux can read and write to NTFS partitions just fine.
Standard file types like txt and doc etc can be read without problems.
A bit at first needing getting used to is the fact that linux DOES NOT KNOW FILE EXTENSIONS. You CAN give a text file the extension .txt, but it is just a name, it deduces the filetype by its code.
Linux does not have an Appstore whatsoever, that is Andriod. To easyly download applications you use the packet manager of the distro, with Fedora that one is called dnf. let's say you wanna have VLC player, so you open the terminal and type "sudo dnf install vlc", put in your password to allow superuser access and it look for VLC in the repositories, asks you if you wanna download it and if you confirm downloads and directly installs it.
For other distros the manager could be called different.
>>
>>316465
>so is WINE an application for Linux I just install
Yes.
Fun fact: WINE stands for “WINE is not an emulator“
>>
>>316455
>does Linux use the same file system?
No. Windows can be made to understand Linux ext[34], and Linux can be made to understand NTFS, but they both ignore each other's permissions, and will generally shit up each other's filesystems with invalid filenames and nonsensical file owners. Best to use fat32 and no security, or a NAS or something.
>Meaning that could I open a text document from windows on Linux and so forth?
They don't even agree on what "enter" looks like in a text file, so your text files end up all on one line.
>>
>>316465

WIne is an own application. It is so useful that in most full images of distros it is directly included, if not you can use your packet manager to search and install it (e.g. sudo dnf install wine)
>>
>>316465
Banks love mobiles, because you can't get a virus or trojan, and literally everybody is using the exact same OS image. Banks trust mobiles.

Why d'you think there's a Google Pay and an Apple Pay, and not a Windows Pay or a Linux Pay? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to tap your card to your PC and buy something straight off a website? Never going to happen, because there's no way to secure a PC to a standard the banks will accept for that amount of trust.

If you want an absolute, ironclad guarantee that no-one's going to hack your banking, get a mobile that receives security updates, keep it updated, keep it physically secure, and use your bank's app.
>>
>>316470

witty, but doesnt this endlessly extent? like B.E. yourself?

>>316469

thanks

>>316472

holy shit I guess I need an OOTB Linux OS that already accepts the windows stuff

>>316473

isnt there an easier more normie way that typing in commands?

>>316475

Problem is I use certain authenticators on my mobile already to log into accoutns, I do not want to have it on the same device.
>>
>>316484
That's why security-conscious individuals like yourself are best served by getting a second mobile to do their banking on.

There's no benefit to an authenticator if the moment you type the code in your PC, your PC sends all your money to Russia.
>>
>>316488

The problem is I have certain wallets on USB sticks which need to be accessed
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-17_01-30-36.png (97KB, 904x705px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-17_01-30-36.png
97KB, 904x705px
>>316484

Yes, the typing is just the more advanced and elegant way, there is also a graphical user interface of the packet manager. Being graphical it is clunkier but more normieproof
>>
>>316493

Thanks, going to watch some tutorials on how to handle Linux now, seems a bit more tricky than I expected.
>>
>>316496

If you choose the Fedora XFCE one I could help you with it especially how to make it as nice looking as mine now is.
For example when first starting the system you will notice that it doesn't look the nice way you saw in my screenshot, the taskbar is at the TOP and at the bottom is an application bar kinda like in MacOS, a few steps are required to make the system the way you want it- like moving the taskbar to the bottom where it belongs.
>>
>>316498

The mini PC will arrive tomorrow so now all I can do is decide which OS it should be and put it on an USB stick.

Do I need to do some ISO shit?
>>
>>316500

Either burn to DVD or create a bootable stick from it. Being able to boot from the medium is the important part.
For Fedora there is an extra writer program thal likely will work with other distros too.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
>>
Fedora Linux. https://getfedora.org/
>>
>>316507

ty
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.