[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying Linux distros live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: me.jpg (6KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
6KB, 225x224px
Guys, I know I'm stupid, but I just don't know what to do. I want to try Linux distros by USB stick without making any changes to my hard drive. Now this is presented as a very simple process on the Internet, but it is just extremely unclear to me. Should I simply download from the big 'download' button from the distro's website, move the file to the USB stick and boot the computer with the stick put in? Some websites mentioned some media writers that will consequently wipe everything off the USB stick. Others say something about command lines. I don't understand anthing anymore. Please write a foolproof guide for a brainlet like me.
>>
>>312248
>Should I simply download from the big 'download' button from the distro's website, move the file to the USB stick and boot the computer with the stick put in?
No, you do need to use a media writer. Moving the file to a USB stick will not work.

>Some websites mentioned some media writers that will consequently wipe everything off the USB stick. Others say something about command lines.
You do need a media writer program and it will wipe the contents of the USB stick. There's a particular well-known such writer program that you run from the command line, but there are others.
>>
>>312249
And what does the media writer do? Where do I put it, keep it in the computer or move it to the USB stick? Do I still need to download from the big button?
>>
>>312248
The media writer can write the linux distro to the USB file. It's a program you install on your existing computer to write the USB stick.

People recommend the program Rufus ( https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ) to write the image to a USB stick. Instructions:
- Download linux image with the big red button
- Download Rufus
- Insert USB stick
- Start Rufus
- Select USB stick
- Select linux image
- Select "create a bootable disk image using -> dd image"
- Start

This gets you a bootable USB thing that will then work anywhere.
>>
>>312262
Thanks man!
>>
>>312270
Note that Rufus has a bad tendency of automatically switching from dd image back to iso image if you aren't careful. Better watch for that.
>>
>>312271
Not the op but any idea why that happens?
>>
>>312297
Because it's stupid software. If you select an ISO file, it autodetects that you probably wanted ISO mode, even if you already selected dd mode before.
>>
>>312298
I see. So it's NTFS shitpants tweak related, again.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.