[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

electronics. I'm a little stuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
Connecting some devices together in a USB hub and sticking that in my PC is what I'm trying to do just now.

My concern is the power usage... I'm estimating a total of 6.42Watts used by all these devices (including the Hub) and I know a USB port can only give up to 4.5W.

( I've gone with max amps used*V to get each P so I'm probably over judging it but want to be safe)

Does anyone know of any devices, or techniques I could use to bring the power down to a safe level. I really want these devices to be together at all times and only use the ONE USB port.

Thanks for any help.
>>
>>310015
Actually it's only 2.5W.

But no matter, get a powered hub, and you can have 2.5W from each port of the hub.
>>
>>310020
Cheers mate. Looked into it a little. External power supply's gonna be ugly but it's maybe the only way.
>>
>>310043
If you're building some kind of device, then look into making your own esatapd cable.

ESATApd provides USB (as it's a USB port and an ESATA port combined), but also provides 12v, which you can use to power the hub's VR, which means you can get everything done with one cable, and (so long as you include a diode for protection) you still have the option of using a standard USB port and a power brick on PCs where esatapd is not available.

http://www.viskaselektronikai.lt/images/Userfiles/komponentai/54154/70534v0.pdf
>>
>>310015
Another option is a custom USB cable with thicker power wires and three USB plugs on the end. Only one wire, but still three ports.

Another option is just to suck it and see. Worst that will happen is that the port will shut down. Windows is particularly deceptive when it complains about this: it says "overload on USB port", when it should say "undervoltage on USB port". There's no way to damage a USB port by "overloading" it, because it never tries to meet the load, it just turns off.
>>
File: image.jpg (10KB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10KB, 300x227px
>>310051
>>310043
You can get ready-made ESATApd cables, where all you'd have to do is snip the ESATA connector off, and make sure the hub can handle 12V.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.