[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help with computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

I found an HPdc7900 sff on a curb. It has a windows vista sticker, but when booting it is ubuntu.
I have been able to reset the passwords to the accounts, but when I log in I get this

I know practically nothing about ubuntu/linux, but is it supposed to look like this? Or am I supposed to get a desktop like I do on my windows machine? If so, how do I get there

I don't know if it was an office computer so I don't know if it has a bunch of restrictions
>>
it should normally boot into the desktop environment. are you trying to recover any data that was probably left over from the previous owner or do you just want to have a functioning machine?
>>
>>306498
I would prefer that it loads into a regular desktop to see, if any, data is left. I have seen in my short time exploring and by just typing "ls", two files

Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop
README.txt

I have tried booting up many times to see if it would end up logging into a desktop, and tried logging into all of the accounts
>>
>>306518
1.Let's see if any desktop environments load in it.
Press Ctrl+Alt+F9.
I think that's the default for unity, Ubuntu's default desktop environment.
2.Check if any of them exist, by checking Ctrl+Alt+F1 to F12.
You should get one desktop environment by then.
If not, there's none installed, use "cd .." to go to previous folder, "cd <insert_folder_name_here>" for the folder which you want to enter.
The / folder will have your system (kind of like the windows folder, I guess).
Good luck OP!
>>
>>306574
Just checked, it's Ctrl+Alt+F7 (this is considering that it has a desktop environment and didn't get uninstalled for whatever reasons)
>>
>>306473
Haha, you changed the password and blew away the encrypted storage key.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/71708/how-do-i-open-access-your-private-data-desktop

Why not give it back, Jamal, before you break anything else?
>>
>>306581
What was OP doing?
>>
>>306582
stealing a computer
>>
>>306591
Found it on a curb, trying to get into it. There was also a printer, but it was obviously left for garbage
>>
File: 1493533490651.jpg (85KB, 920x960px) Image search: [Google]
1493533490651.jpg
85KB, 920x960px
>>306581
I found it I be keepin it
>>
>>306574
Where would I press Ctrl+Alt+f1-f12
After I log in? before? in the grub. Unless a desktop environment has been uninstalled
>>
>>306867
After it's booted and it's asking you username, you can change environments anytime.
>>
>>306892
well then there isn't a desktop. I fiddled with it for a good while and tried all ctrl+alt+f1-f12 on all screens.
Plus, doing some more searching it seems that just about everything was wiped it has a 160 gig HDD and there is 145 gigs free, so I assume it's just the OS and some left over drivers and files.
I'm probably just going to sell it
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.