[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (152KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
152KB, 1280x720px
Since my old graphics card (R9 290) would crash the PC whenever I play video games, I bought a new GTX 1060. However, with the new card plugged in, the PC freezes on the BIOS flash screen and the PC makes a very spaced out beeping sound. I returned the card and got a used RX 480. With the 480, the display never turns on and the monitor eventually goes into standby mode. The PC does not beep but it does make weird mechanical sounds that are hard to describe.

After some research, I found out that my motherboard is ancient and its BIOS is incompatible with the latest GPUs. I'm fairly confident this is why the 1060 didn't work and instead caused the PC to freeze at the BIOS splash, but is the lack of display and strange sounds with the 480 also caused by the old motherboard? Would getting a new motherboard but keeping all of the other parts cause both GPUs to work?
>>
File: 5663119_f520.jpg (60KB, 520x466px) Image search: [Google]
5663119_f520.jpg
60KB, 520x466px
Bump!
>>
>>302787
It definitely sounds like the motherboard is at fault. However, without a know-good motherboard to test the other parts against, there's really no way of knowing if anything else has failed too.
>>
>>302787
if your motherboard is ancient your CPU also is. and your ram.
but how ancient is ancient ? you said you ran a R9 290 on the same mobo ? did it ever run on your mobo ?

state your systzem specs please.
>>
>>303004
The CPU is not the original one that came with the PC and I have added more memory but I don't remember if the original sticks were replaced or not. The R9 290 does work with the mobo, it's just that it crashes when I play video games or YouTube videos for longer than about 10 minutes, for reasons possibly unrelated to the motherboard.

Specs:
Acer Aspire M3450 (computer model)
GTX 650 (Known to work perfectly in all situations I use it for)
AMD FX-6300 six-core (previously FX-4100 quad core)
850W PSU
10 GB RAM
>>
>>303061
what are your temperatures on cpu ?
>>
>>303061
that is not an ancient mobo. it is a AM3+ mobo. not that old. should take everything you throw at it. i am sitting at an AM3+ mobo right now. overclocked with two graphicscards on it.
>>
>>302787
if we do not know where the sounds are coming from and why it makes such noises you are in for a guessing game when it comes to buying new hardware.
>>
>>303062
40-50C idle, 60-70C with FFXIV running.

>>303064
According to Acer forums, the BIOS is incompatible with GTX 700 series and later because it's incompatible with UEFI or something like that.

>>303065
The sounds are *probably* coming from the GPU fans, but it also sounds like it could be the HDD. It sounds like a sort of mechanical cough. The RX 480's LED lights work. I think I also hear the 3 GPU fans slowly beginning to speed up in a de-synced pattern when I turn the power on.
>>
you should be able to use all the old parts on a newer AM3+ board like an

asus sabertooth 990 fx
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.