[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommendations for PC budget build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

I am trying to build a gaming PC on a sub $600 budget and I'm trying to make the best of what I can. I am hoping to use CEMU on this and I have heard that Intel chips have graphical issues with it which is why I have an AMD CPU. I could always change this if I needed to. Any suggestions are welcome.
>>
Also I don't have a monitor here because I saved an Acer one from the trash here.
>>
Ehh, no major problems really. Have you tried searching each of your products names to make sure they are not known for being shit. You might be able to save some money by going for a quad core processor and only 4gib memory, which you could then use to upgrade something you think is important (if your focus is gayming then either your cpu or gpu probably). Also, does the cpu come with a fan? The stock fan should be good enough for the cpu.
>>
>>302736
Thanks for the quick response. I am not sure if the cpu comes with a fan, but I believe the case does. Would a case based fan be sufficient in cooling the PC? I don't plan to overuse it much, like overclocking or any other heavy heat producing activities.
>>
Okay, firstly, ditch the 8350. It simply isn't up to par with anything nowadays. Get a Ryzen 1400 instead, it performs much much better.

Instead of a 1050Ti, I'd recommend an RX 460 or 470 (460 is cheaper and performs about the same and the 470 is much better than the 1050).

Also, you don't need to buy an additional cooler, your CPU comes with one. Unless you plan to do some intense overclocking, which I doubt.
>>
>>302765
So if I don't plan on overclocking then I have no need to buy a fan?
>>
File: 45105.jpg (549KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
45105.jpg
549KB, 720x1280px
Yeah, fan that comes with the CPU works fine enough
>>
>>302765
The compatibility filter on PCPartPicker is indicating that there are NO com particle motherboards for my Ryzen CPU. Is this a glitch or what?
>>
>>302974
You need to delete your DDR3 memeory.
>>
>>302974
also buy 16gb of ram instead of just 8.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 909x455px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 909x455px
Ok, here's my updated build. Also if I buy 16 gb of ram instead of 8gb it's puts my budget closer to $700 than $600. I think it would be OK to start with 8gb and then when I have more money I can just buy another DDR4 8gb one right?
>>
>>302982
It' certainly won't not work, but you're going to see diminished memory performance (which equates to diminished CPU performance) running without dual-channel.
>>
>>302982
If you can stretch to it, get https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b898TW/patriot-viper-elite-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-2666-memory-pve416g266c5kbl now.

It's faster, for a lower price, because you're buying a bigger pack.
>>
>>302993
This is considerably cheaper than most other DDR4 16 gab ram, is it reliable? It just seems really cheap for 16 gb.
>>
>>302711
Get whatever SSD you can get for those 50$ instead of the HDD
>>
>>303033
RAM is RAM. You're paying $20 a stick for pretty heatsinks.
>>
>>303033
>most other 16 ram
You spotted that it's not a 16, but two sticks of 8, right?
>>
>>303043
>$50
That would be a 120GB no-name, which sounds like a bad idea.
>>
>>303051
...Now I have
>>
Overall I think this is good so far. Highest end stuff I'm planning to run is Doom/Overwatch, and I'm assuming this will be able to run it smoothly on medium graphic settings. Thank you for the pointers guys, I'm hoping this will be good.
>>
>>303053
worse than a 7200rpm?
>>
Also, this may be a stupid question, but I have never built a computer before and don't plan on including an optical drive, so how do I go about installing an OS (Windows 7)?
>>
>>303255
Yeah, I'm not good with computers and I've always wondered how someone get an OS on a computer without a drive or anything. Answer appreciated
>>
>>303252
I guess it depends on whether or not you're planning on storing more data than fits on a phone.
>>
>>303292
>>303252
What does this mean?
>>
>>303043
Eh... On a gaming machine?

I suppose that'd be alright if you only played one game at a time, and never played any MMO's. ...Otherwise, if your *only* drive is ~128GB... Windows, fresh installed, is going to eat about 40GB, but it's going to fatten up to eat 80GB real fast, and your various caches are going to bloat to eat another ~20GB. Won't leave much room for your programs and games and such, so you'll constantly be stripping it.

It would provide much better performance though - might be something consider at first, then shell out for a second bigger HD later - keeping one or two heavy drive access games on the first drive. Maybe you have a larger hard drive laying around?

Even then, you'll probably end up virtually linking folders to keep the original OS drive clean eventually. Lots of games love to stick gigabytes of shit in your \users folder and don't give you an option on where else to put it, even when they are indeed installed on another drive. Only thing you can do at that point is setup virtual links, and that gets to be a pain after awhile.
>>
>>303358
Also, keep in mind that with Steam, when it updates a game, it at least needs twice the space of the update and that of the game.

If you play "ARK: Survival Evolved", for instance, that game is nearly 60GB. If you download a big update for it, you need ~180GB of drive space free, or Steam will fubar with an error during the update.

(Granted, that's a rather extreme example, but just looking in my own library, Bioshock: Infinite and Elder Scrolls Online are both near that size, as are a lot of MMO's.)
>>
File: chrome_2017-04-24_23-27-06.png (167KB, 2171x894px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-04-24_23-27-06.png
167KB, 2171x894px
>>302711
Anon, don't stretch your budget so much. 8GB will honestly serve you just fine until you are willing to upgrade. Here is what I recommend - it fits into your 600$ price range easily without even using mail in rebates (which can be very hit or miss).
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4MFHD8
Over the most recent build you suggested you have:
- A worse motherboard (makes no difference though)
+A better graphics card
+A better case
+Less cost
>>
>>303411
To add to this, for 10$ more you can upgrade to a rx 580
To sum it up, without just outright giving you a build (though I already have), I'd recommend:
>R5 1400 or cheap i5
>Cheapest motherboard that doesn't have absolutely terrible reviews
>8GB of the cheapest RAM you can get
>Cheapest 1TB 7200RPM harddrive you can get from a reputable company (WD, toshiba, seagate)
>Cheap case with decent reviews
>EVGA 500B PSU
>Pour all of your remaining money into a GPU; you can easily just look at benchmarks if you're having to choose between a few.
At this budget, performance will mostly be dependent on your GPU. On my rig, my CPU and RAM usage rarely hit even close to 100%.
>>
>>303411
>Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
I've not checked out your motherboard there, but surely you could dual channel that for about the same price.

Memory speed is kinda crucial these days, particularly if you're into voxel based survival games.

I am also seeing some SSD's in the 240GB range for ~$75 on NewEgg. Granted not a lot of good brands or not refurbished... Still, that'd probably do ya, and improve performance rather dramatically. You could cannibalize your HD from your old system for extra space as a second drive.
>>
>>303411
Oh wow this looks fantastic! Thank you so much, this is far cheaper compared to my current build and I assume it will perform the same functions (Doom/Overwatch at most). Thanks a lot! I will start to work with this, but again any more recommendations are welcome.
>>
>>303414
Note that there are only three hard disk companies, and you just listed all of them.
>>
>>303411
I have basically the exact same build as you do here but I have the deepcool TESSERACT case because it was cheaper. Is there any reason to have the cooler master if I don't plan on over clocking?
>>
>>303531
The deep cool comes with two fans.
>>
>>303553
Yes but will that be enough for the computer?
>>
In all honesty the built in CPU fan should be just fine for standard use, no overclocking.
>>
>>303531
The Tesseract will be fine, it's just that the coolermaster is supposed to be a very good case fior the price point. I'd personally spend the extra 5$, but in the end it really won't make much of a difference.
>>
>>303419
I suppose as far as memory goes he could get two sticks of this
>https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GXbkcf/patriot-memory-psd44g240081
In that case I'd recommend getting this motherboard (other one only had two slots) as well so there's the option of getting more RAM if he ever decides he needs it >https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c7bkcf/asrock-a320m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-a320m-pro4
As far as an SSD goes, I'd say it's not worth it at this price point. I'd rather have a couple extra FPS than being able to load things a couple seconds faster. Even at 70$, that's significantly more than a HDD for significantly less storage. If he feels he needs the speed, he can easily upgrade to an SSD down the line.
>>
>>303717
I honestly can not tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. As long as something is running smoothly I am fine. But even here I don't know enough about HDD and SSD's to know the pro's and cons so I'll just stick with HDD for now.
>>
>>303794
If you can't tell the difference, then you never compared.

At 60 fps, every image (frame) you see is 16.7ms old. At 30 fps, every frame is 33.3ms old.
That's about the difference between a 20 year old's average reaction time, and a 40 year old's.
If you play games like Civ this does not matter, but playing a fast shooter at 30 can be a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>303852
I've seen plenty of comparisons and I play CS:GO but I honestly have never seen a significant difference.
>>
>>303853
If I show you a screen on which it is running at 30 and one on which csgo is running at 60, you WILL see the difference. Even my goddamn mother can see it. You were probably doing something wrong or not scientific, and the fact that fucking 33.3ms delay is added in comparison to, say, 3ms at 300fps is just ridiculous.
>>
>>303903
It can not possibly be that drastic. Although you are probably right on me doing something wrong. I'll look into it again, maybe I just messed up.
>>
>>304094
If for some reason you physically couldn't see 30 FPS that may be an indication of something wrong with your eyes.
>>
>>303794
https://www.testufo.com
Clear difference.
>>
I use an i5-6500 with stock fan which works absolutely fine for me with no overclocking. Runs ArmA 3 at a nice standard and it isn't /too/ pricey.
>>
>>304094
It IS that drastic. The maths behind it is elementary school level, if you can't figure out the average delay per frame from a framerate then you probably dropped out of school in your first year.
I'll give you a hint: it is called "frames per second".

And the values I gave are only best case scenario, in reality these timings are often worse because of outlier frames, which happen even more if there is heavier updates aka turning around fast.
>>
>>304221
>https://www.testufo.com
Oh yeah.
>>
>>304262
I mean, it's not unbearably bad but I could withstand it.
>>
I think I might use that one case cooler build, not that OP's current build is bad.
>>
>>304781
It's fine, I just don't need to cool it at all so it's nothing against the choice of case, just a restriction of my needs.
>>
>>304223
>>304221
Missed trips.
>>
OP I would wait a few years until CEMU is better before actually investing on something to run it
>>
>>304948
Why? If it can run games I don't think OP would care. What could possibly be so bad that he should wait?
>>
>>303794
On a budget PC, 60 fps shouldn't really be a goal, at least not on modern games.

The difference between an HDD and an SSD is you get about five to ten times the performance on an SSD for about two to three the price per gigabyte.

On a gaming rig, you're going to want at *least* 240GB, so getting an SSD in there would be hard.

An SSD does make a drastic difference in performance all around (more than just about anything else). If, however, most of your games are FPS, they may load everything into memory along with the map, in which case, game wise, the only thing that's going to do is get you into the game faster. On the other hand, if you play voxel games that eats into the virtual memory a lot (or a Unity based game with shit memory management), it's constantly slamming the drive, and in that situation the SSD will make a night and day difference (as it will with normal computer use, such as browsing.)

So it really depends on what sorta games you tend to play.

The only problem with doing it later, is that you really want your OS on the fastest drive, and that means, when you do upgrade, you'll have to reinstall everything, while if you stick the slow hard drive in later, you just stick it in there and yer good to go. (Also figure you're more apt to have a classic hard drive ready to cannibalize.)
>>
>>303794
I was like you until I actually tried SSD, you can never go back. If you don't have the money right now, I'd still recommend buying a small SSD, install the OS in there and one game at a time, and save money for a large ssd in the near future
>>
>>305012
It doesn't "eat into the virtual memory" if you actually have enough memory.
>>
>>305064
No, Windows will always offload certain tasks to virtual memory scratch space, regardless of how much memory you have, as will most Voxel games, entirely internally (and, depending on the game, sometimes you just never have enough memory - it'll always use as much as it can, the more you have the more it'll use, and it always ends up paging the margins).

Unless, perhaps, you've set up a RAM drive and have directed Windows to use that as the virtual memory disk (though Windows will moan about that, as for some damned reason, it can only do crashdumps if the pagefile is on the same drive as the OS).
>>
>>305091
Google the phrase "working set", and don't come back until you understand what it means.
>>
>>305119
That's not how it works hoss. The pagefile is always available as a separate scratch space set. Windows and a lotta games and applications dump mid-to-low priority pages there, regardless of how close the memory is to being thrashed, and that includes pretty much all database sets. It isn't just an extension to memory to avoid page faults, that's why CreateFileMapping and MapViewOfFile are part of the WinAPI functions.
>>
>>305214
Wow this is a lot of shit I didn't think I'd learn from this thread.
>>
>>305370
That's 4chan for you.
>>
Nice builds here.
>>
>>305712
Feel free to use any
>>
>>305214
I meant it when I said "don't come back until you understand what it means".

Even if there were no page file, mmap()ed pages would still behave in exactly the same way, i.e. exist primarily on disk, be read on access or on readahead, and live in memory the whole fucking time so long as there's available memory for the disk cache to grow into.

If an mmap()ed page is in a process's working set, it's hardly likely to get evicted from an LRU cache now, is it?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.