[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help upgrading RAM on laptop It has a 2GB stick of this:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Need help upgrading RAM on laptop
It has a 2GB stick of this:
2RX8 PC2-6400S-666-12-e3

Want to buy 2x4GB of RAM with the same compatibilities. Dont want to mess up and buy something wrong like with the wrong pin positions etc.
>>
>>301874
a ram upgrade on a laptop won't do you much good since you can't upgrade anything else, why do want to do it
>>
>>301876
Just for the lulz you know
I know that it wont help too much but 2GB is a pain in the ass still.
Wont be bothered by losing some money for a small upgrade
>>
>>301876
Going from 2GB to anything that's more than 2GB makes a massive difference. The OS takes up 1.75GB, so you go from 0.25GB of RAM for yourself to 2.25GB and suddenly you have disk cache, programs running out of RAM instead of the swapfile, and a much faster computer.

>>301874
That's DDR2 666MHz. It's pretty-much inpossible to find DDR2 slower than that, so any DDR2 you get will work fine.

I wouldn't bother with 8GB though: 4GB DDR2 sticks are really rare and expensive, and they've held their value really well. You're looking at $120 for 8GB, but just $15 for 4GB (or $30 if you want to replace your existing stick).

All memory in your system runs at the same speed, so if you get one stick of DDR2-800, it will run at 666 because your other stick would not work if the memory were set to 800. You could replace the existing stick with an 800 (or faster), but there's probably not $15 worth of point in doing so.
>>
>>301874
Finally, it's better to ask "I have laptop X, what RAM do I need?" than "here's some RAM my laptop has, what RAM should I get?".

Your laptop may be able to take advantage of high-capacity and high-speed RAM, or it might not. All your question tells us is that you received it with small, slow RAM.
>>
>>301874
>ddr2 sodimm
>buy 2x4GB
if you can find it cheap go for it
>buy something wrong like with the wrong pin positions
as long as it is a ddr2 sodimm (200 pin) it should work fine
>>
>>301975
Alright, I might aswell buy one 4GB one to boost up to 6 instead of buying two of them. Thanks

>>301979
Yeah, that wouldve been smarter, it's a Compaq 615 but that probably doesnt matter much anymore. Its a bit old already, wont be getting a new comp for a year so just need to be able to actually open programs without it slowing to oblivion.

>>301999
I compared it to another laptops RAM, the slit in the pins were different. Wanted to be sure if what I'm going to buy will be the right one. Thanks
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.