[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend modern-ish (2008-now) action anime series that feels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

Recommend modern-ish (2008-now) action anime series that feels like oldschool OVA. Here's what I want:

- Simple story that doesn't take itself seriously. Or if it does, it's in a campy, cheesy, "so bad it's good" kind of way.
- Action and violence cranked up to 11. Tons of over the top shootouts, car chases, CQC and what have you. As for violence, I want it equally over the top. Bullets exploding people's limbs, knives that effortlessly slice through flesh, hand to hand techniques that easily break bones etc.
- Set in modern times, cyberpunk, post-apo, or sci-fi, and primarily gun-oriented. I want lots of guns and shootouts, so a fantasy setting is out. No shonen-like superpowers either.
- Humor. The more the better. Preferably of darker breed, but I'll take whatever, as long as it's not cringeworthy and fits the overall tone of the show.
- Character designs that are more on the realistic side (i.e. no moe shit), but made to be super cool at the same time. Basically, male characters should always be either beefy, super manly, badass men or guys whose faces you could find in the dictionary next to words "cool" and "badass", and females should always look and dress sexily. Some fanservice is also appreciated, albeit not necessary.
- Good animation. I don't have too high standards for that. As long as you can't count the frames on the fingers of one hand and the action segments look fluid and dynamic, it's fine with me.
- Non-episodic format. I'm gonna be binge watching it, so any kind of repetition kills the show for me.
- A complete, self-contained experience. All of the episodes have been aired, there's no sequel in the works that I have to wait for, the series has a conclusive ending, and no manga is required to be read to get the full story.

Don't suggest:

- Black Lagoon
- Jormungand
- Hellsing Ultimate

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: lupin-3rd-2015-02.jpg (191KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lupin-3rd-2015-02.jpg
191KB, 1280x720px
>>301400
Seems the like more modern iterations of Lupin III would be up your alley, either "Lupin the Third, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" or "Lupin III (2015)", the big difference between them is that in Fujiko Mine it is a lot more stylistic and dark whilst 2015 is more standard. If you have never seen Lupin before you should start with the Ghibli Film.
>>
>>301402
>If you have never seen Lupin before you should start with the Ghibli Film.

Do I have to? Is it necessary to understand the events or characters? Because to be honest, I'm kind of burned out on old anime now and would really want to watch something newer, with a crispier look to it.
>>
>>301406
Not at all, for the most part every iteration of Lupin is self contained with very little need for backstory, in terms of the movie it is so well animated you would think it was made last year especially if you watch the blue-ray version, but no it is not essential at all but I would be doing the series a disservice if I didn't mention it.
>>
>>301413
I see. In that case I'm gonna watch the series first and I might give the movie a go if I like them enough. Thanks for the suggestions.

If you, or other Anons, have any other suggestions, feel free to throw them in. The more, the merrier.
>>
File: gangsta.jpg (294KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gangsta.jpg
294KB, 1920x1200px
>>301400
One Punch Man (bit obvious...)

Less well known is Gangsta (2015), might be closer to what you're looking for theme wise. I think it was done by some folks who had their hands in both Black Lagoon and Meso.
>>
File: Drifters_gunsRgud.webm (3MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
Drifters_gunsRgud.webm
3MB, 888x500px
Not modern (bit of time travel/fantasy world involved), and ends on a to be continued, but if you liked Hellsing, and want the ultra-violence, you must see Drifters.
>>
>>301436
I second this.
>>
>>301433
>One Punch Man (bit obvious...)

It's a superpower-oriented shonen, though...

>Gangsta

The reviews don't really present this anime as something worth watching. Then again, neither do most of the reviews for the oldschool OVAs. I'll give it a go and see if I like it.

>>301436
Not what I'm looking for right now. Still, I'm grateful you mentioned that it doesn't end conclusively because I was actually planning on watching it someday and now I know I should just throw it off my MAL and never look back.
>>
>>301449
Gangsta got a good set of characters, but the story steadily declines near the end where it just cuts off completely. Like in the middle of the story. I guess they cut the funding on it or something, really disappointing
>>
>>301449
I'll back that Gangsta is pretty good.
The studio went under while it was being made so there might be a quality drop somewhere though.
Characters are at least B+ imo.
I never completed it, but please don't let that deter you. Lots on my plate at the moment. I also prefer things of the shoujo/josei persuasion...
>>
>>301449
> Still, I'm grateful you mentioned that it doesn't end conclusively because I was actually planning on watching it someday and now I know I should just throw it off my MAL and never look back.
Aww man, personally I think it's more than worth it, even so. Definitely a must-see in terms of comically violent action animes.

Gangsta is pretty well made, though not nearly so fiendishly delightful. I'm not sure why the reviews would be iffy, though it's true, it never did get real popular for some reason.

>>301454
That might be it, true, I don't think I got to finishing it.
>>
>>301454
Welp. Looks like I'm not watching that one either, then.

Please pay attention before suggesting anything, people. A conclusive ending is a dealbreaker to me. I don't read manga (I just don't like it is all; no need to turn it into an argument), so every time an anime ends abruptly without resolving anything, it means I'm getting blue balled and end up frustrated, not entertained.
>>
File: IOkkJh8.jpg (69KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
IOkkJh8.jpg
69KB, 1280x722px
>>301459
Well, I'm in that same boat, but still found Drifters more than worth it. It's not one of those where it's some mysterious conclusion to be revealed though - it's fairly obvious where the show is going, and it's obviously just going to be more of the same. (Plus it made enough cash that they'll probably air more seasons.)

Action anime is kind of a guilty pleasure for me though... So I'm not as well versed in it.

Parasyte The Maxim (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu) - is more horror genre, but there's so much violence (like way over the top) and so many comical moments it may feed your need, and it comes to a fairly solid conclusion.
>>
>>301465
>Parasyte The Maxim (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu)
Not what I'm looking for right now, but might be worth a watch some other time. I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>301449
>It's a superpower-oriented shonen, though...
It's a seinen satire of superheroes.
>>
>>301406
>I'm kind of burned out on old anime now
Could've fooled me considering you're asking for new anime that are exactly like the old anime you loved.
>>
>>301468
As much as I like one punch man it really doesn't fulfill the OP's requirements of feeling like an oldschool OVA does it?
>>
>>301469
What I meant exactly was "I don't want to watch a 480p, 4:3 dvd rip with muddy, washed out color due to the master copy's degradation over the years, but instead I want something with a better visual quality, in crispy clear 1080p (or at least 720p) that spiritually feels like the oldschool anime I know and love." I hope that clears it up for ya.

>>301468
Parody of shonen titles in general, to be precise. Still, not what I'm looking for because of what I said before and also because of >>301470
>>
>>301400
>Mezzo DSA
Fuck yeah.

If you like Umetsu, you'll most likely enjoy Wizard Barristers (2014). Maybe Galilei Donna (2013), which he directed though he didn't do character design.
>>
>>301494
>Wizard Barristers
Isn't that a garbage meme show though?
>>
>>301496
No more so than Mezzo DSA.
>>
>>301494
Checked them both out. Was disappointed neither of them had a hentai prequel. I mean, it's always what this guy does with his franchises - first release a hentai OVA, and then make a PG-13 sequel of it.
>>
>>301502
Actually, I haven't seen DSA, only Mezzo Forte. Is Mezzo DSA worth watching? Cause I've heard very mixed opinions abou it.
>>
Kekkai Sensen, maybe? It's supposed to have a new season sometime int he future as well.
>>
>>301502
you take that back whore
>>
>>301507
No. DSA was very mediocre.
>>
>>301507
It's Umetsu. You'll get fantastic action, delicious girls and fuck all anything else. Even Kite was only good for the rape.

But the action and girls will be god-tier.
>>
>>301522
I've checked it out on MAL. It doesn't sound like something I'd like desu. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

>>301601
>It's Umetsu. You'll get fantastic action, delicious girls and fuck all anything else.

It might be worth checking out, then. It's what I watch action anime for.

>Even Kite was only good for the rape.

What about Sawa's little red gun that could blow up an entire room in one shot? That was cool, too.
>>
Ushio and Tora is literally a 90s show made a couple years ago.
Gundam Thunderbolt is also highly recommended.
>>
idk much
i sugest psycho pass
>>
File: psycho_pass_keep-calm.jpg (23KB, 236x333px) Image search: [Google]
psycho_pass_keep-calm.jpg
23KB, 236x333px
>>302245
Psycho Pass is awesome, but it certainly isn't a light hearted tongue-in-cheek show that doesn't take itself seriously as he seems to be after.
>>
OP here.

>>302245
>>302262
Yea, Psycho Pass definitely isn't what I'm after. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

>>301820
>Ushio and Tora
Not what I'm looking for right now, but interesting nonetheless. I'll add it to my MAL.

>Gundam Thunderbolt
I love some mecha, but unfortunately, it has an ongoing season 2, so I'm gonna have to wait till it finishes before watching it.

Any other suggestions?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.