[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any anime about Yakuza?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 0.jpg (280KB, 1400x980px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
280KB, 1400x980px
Not mafia, not biker gangs, not organized crime in general. Specifically Yakuza. Something more on the serious side is preferred, but a cheesy action romp is fine with me too.

Googling gives me nothing because whenever I come across a thread asking for the same thing, people interpret the request as "recommend some general gang-themed anime" and give stuff like Baccano and Gangsta. Alternatively, they give something that has the Yakuza in it for a short while (like Black Lagoon or Durarara), but isn't centered around them.

I know there's Kaiji and Akagi, but they aren't really *about* the Yakuza, but rather about poor sods who are indebdted to them.

Does the thing I'm looking for exist at all?
>>
>>299585
Only anime I've watched that was Yakuza themed was Gokusen. The daughter of a Yakuza just wants to be a teacher.

If not, there are always movies.

Black Rain
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096933/

I dont think Japanese want to glorify the Yakuza. So, I dont think there's that many anime's about them.
>>
File: 151002-Yakuza_(USA)-1[1].jpg (228KB, 640x903px) Image search: [Google]
151002-Yakuza_(USA)-1[1].jpg
228KB, 640x903px
Not exactly what you're looking for but the Yakuza video games on PS2/3/4 are somewhat anime-esque in tone and presentation.
>>
>>299585
There's a lot of movies, and the Yakuza games are fantastic. As for anime, not much.
>>
>>299624
>Gokusen

Not really what I'm looking for. I wanted a more gangster-oriented experience rather than one character just being tied to Yakuza, while nothing else is related to that whatsoever.

>If not, there are always movies.

I'm aware there are plenty of movies about Yakuza, but I wanted something with more length to it. However, there seems to be no Yakuza-themed TV shows whatsoever, so I thought maybe anime is gonna have me covered. Guess I was wrong.

>I dont think Japanese want to glorify the Yakuza. So, I dont think there's that many anime's about them.

They wouldn't have to glorify them, though. They might've as well made something about Yakuza being the bunch of scum they really are. But I guess that would've gotten the creators' families brutally tortured and murdered in return if the mobsters actually gave a fuck (which I doubt they would).

>>299627
Actually I'm coming with that request straight from playing the first two games (the only ones I have access to atm). They got me wanting more Yakuza-related media in my life.
>>
Sanctuary, Sun-ken Rock, Crying Freeman.

You have more chance to find yakuza manga than anime.
>>
>>299661
Are the Sanctuary and Crying Freeman OVAs worth watching? Because I'm not gonna read the mangas and I'm not sure if the adaptations by themselves are good or not.
>>
>>299667

bump
>>
>>299816
bump
>>
>>300027
Emblem Take 2

And you got a decent amount of yakuza in Tekkon Kinkreet and Neo Ranga.

You are way better off with live-action, like Kamikaze Taxi.
>>
>>300054
Emblem Take 2 might be worth a look. Thanks.
>>
>>299667
>I'm not gonna read the mangas
You're missing out on Sanctuary. The OVA isn't worth it.
Don't bother with Freeman, it's not good and it's not even about Yakuza.
Really you're not going to get much by limiting yourself to anime. You will have to look into manga and live-action for yakuza stuff.
>>
>>299585
Anime is escapism. If you want to learn about the modern Yakuza you won't find it through pretty cartoons.
>>
>>300102
Jumping to conclusions much? Where did I say I wanted an anime I could learn about Yakuza from? All I wanted was a serious, gritty crime tale centered around the Yakuza.

> You will have to look into manga and live-action for yakuza stuff.

Any good live action recommendations, then? There's simply too much to pick from for me to know what's good and what's not. Gritty thrillers/dramas preferred.
>>
>>300098
>>300112
Forgot to mention what post I'm referring to in my second part.
>>
>>300112
Drunken Angel is a Kurosawa classic, watch it.
Tokyo Drifter is another classic Japanese crime film.
Sonatine is pretty great.
Ichi the Killer is, well, different at least.
Sydney Pollack's Yakuza is interesting because it isn't Japanese.
Nothing else I can give you, this isn't exactly my area of expertise, but at least something.
>>
>>300112
>dramas preferred
Kamikaze Taxi

>All I wanted was a serious, gritty crime tale centered around the Yakuza.
Lol, kid, then why are you looking into anime? Have you ever seen anime? Ah shit, please give me your top 5.
>>
In Black Lagoon anime there is a yakuza related arc.

Live action movies are your best bet though. I know, I tried to find yakuza anime too.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.