[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird Coin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1212 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1212 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Is this some sort of fake quarter or mint error? Found it in my change jar.
>>
File: IMG_1211 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1211 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: IMG_1213 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1213 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>
why do you think it's fake?
>>
>>298171
I don't know much about coins. My only guess is the weird rolled edge and the dot for a mint mark.
>>
File: IMG_20170416_084907045[1].jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170416_084907045[1].jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>298172
I'm not an expert either, but I'll take a stab.

I actually found one that looks somewhat similar. The ridges on the edge are still there, but the mint mark is beat down almost to a nub. Pic related.

On yours, Washington's face looks worn as hell, and the "in god we trust" looks mushy. Also the mint marks prior to 1999 are smaller, so they'd become illegible faster than modern quarters. So I'm guessing yours was made with a normal mint mark and it's just been beat to shit.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Wikipedia_Washington_Quarters_Obverse_Designs.jpg

So it looks like everything except possibly the edge is explainable by heavy wear, especially since it's almost 50 years old. And someone could have done something to the edge, or it could actually have some kind of mint error where the edge didn't get scored. But usually on quarters with a copper core, you can see the whole silver-copper sandwich on the edge. So I don't know there. To me it looks like someone did something to the edge.

My non-expert guess: as long as it is the same size and weight as a regular quarter, it's probably just a regular quarter that's had a long, rough life.
>>
>>298178
Thanks. I figured that the most likely thing with the edge was somebody messing with it. I just didn't want it to sit in a change jar if it was some sort of rare die malfunction or an error with the wrong stock.
>>
>>298167
Avid coin collector here.
It just looks like wear and tear.
Not likely to be a mint error.
Most mint errors are misaligned dies.
+american coins are usually shittily minted despite some of them being minted by Canada which is weird because Canada mints some of the best made coins in the world.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.