[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mathematics Problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: circle - Copy.jpg (90KB, 535x483px) Image search: [Google]
circle - Copy.jpg
90KB, 535x483px
How do I find the largest area of a triangle within the unit circle? I hope at least one of you can help.
>>
>>296430
It's obvious that the vertexes of the triangle have to be on the edge of the circle.
Now, if you pick any 2 random points on the edge of the circle, the triangle will have the largest area if the 3rd vertex is on the other side of the circle, directly in the middle between the other 2 vertexes. This means that the triangle you are looking for is an isosceles triangle.

Can you figure out the rest? You have to use calculus and stuff, can't prove this geometrically alone (I think).
>>
>>296435
Thanks. I will try figure out the rest on my own.
>>
File: improvement.png (13KB, 617x555px) Image search: [Google]
improvement.png
13KB, 617x555px
>>296435
I'm pretty sure the triangle must be equilateral. Otherwise its area can again be improved. Pic related
So no calculus is needed. Just find the maximal equilateral triangle.
>>
>>296450
Of course the answer is equilateral triangle (it can have only 1 area for a given circle).
The problem is, you have to prove that you will end up with such triangle through series of improvements. Obviously, you can argue that the answer is equilateral since it can't be improved in such way.

It's just that I strongly oppose solving problems by proving that our guessed solution is correct (I also hate induction).
>>
OP here, I think I got it. You have to maximize f(x,y)=0.5xy subject to x^2+y^2=1 using the Lagrangian function F(x,y,lambda) = f(x,y)+(lamda)g(x,y)
>>
File: circle.png (20KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
circle.png
20KB, 1152x648px
>>296469
Well, I thought you would come up with something along pic related instead.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.