[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark, gritty, story-driven samurai anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 0.jpg (170KB, 1443x1075px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
170KB, 1443x1075px
I'm looking for a Samurai (or Feudal Japan in general) anime that isn't all about action, cool swordfights, legends, and supernatural entities.

Instead I want something a bit grittier, more down-to-earth and realistic, where the main driving force behind it all is a well-written story and an interesting cast of characters, that aren't just one-dimensional walking tropes, but are rather more like actual human beings, with flaws in their personalities and their own sense of morality. Bonus points for small-scale, more personal stories rather than complex political intrigues.

Does anything like that exist? If yes, then I'd gladly give it a go. Before you suggest, however, make sure your suggestion isn't an unfinished adaptation. It has to have a conclusive ending, be complete, and it shouldn't require any manga to be read to know the full story.

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: takemitsu-zamurai.png (402KB, 900x1212px) Image search: [Google]
takemitsu-zamurai.png
402KB, 900x1212px
>>294960
Not an anime, but Takemitsu Zamurai by Matsumoto Taiyou is worth checking out.
>>
>>295012
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking specifically for anime.
>>
>>294960
I don't think it was ever made into an anime, so this probly doesn't fit. But, Lone Wolf and Cub is an incredibly good and realisitic manga
>>
>>295013
House of Five Leaves is a pretty strong story driven anime. Though I would not call it gritty.
>>
I'm guessing you want movies since you posted Ninja Scroll

Sword of the Stranger
Afro Samurai
Dagger of Kamui
Asura
>>
>>295013
shigurui
>>
>>295056
Well, I guess I can go without the grittiness, as long as everything else is top notch. I'll give it a look. Thanks.

>>295065
>I'm guessing you want movies since you posted Ninja Scroll

Not really. I just posted Jubei cause he's a gritty looking ronin dude, so he fits the topic.

As for your suggestions, I've already seen the first two and didn't like them at all. I dunno, maybe I'll check out the other two, but generally I tend to avoid movies because they suffer greatly from pacing and writing problems.

>>295102
Doesn't Shigurui end abruptly and require you to read the manga afterwards?
>>
Ruroni Kenshin is about a samurai who can't escape his violent past.
>>
>>295255
I was considering it, but Ruroni Kenshin always seemed like a lighthearted, cheesy shoujo to me for some reason, and it put me off giving it a shot. If I'm wrong, then by all means, correct me.
>>
>>295269
it is lighthearted but worthwatching nonetheless (till ep 65) however you should at least watch the 4 ovas called 'trust and betrayal' those are probably the best samurai animation out there.
also you can watch shigurui without reading the manga it's not a big deal.
a few others
sword of the stranger
ninja scroll the series / ninja resurrection
basilisk
samurai deeper kyo
clamploo
musashi gundoh
drifters
>>
>>295308
>you can watch shigurui without reading the manga it's not a big deal.

What do you mean by that, exactly? Because it kida is a big deal to me when anime ends on a cliffhanger and/or with tons of plot left unresolved.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.