[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

computer problems / tech support

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (25KB, 397x405px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
25KB, 397x405px
For a month or so now my PC has been running really slowly. Load times in games are taking longer than usual, opening .mkv and .flac files in MPC-HC is taking forever, etc. Really not sure what's causing this. I'm able to stream/record just fine, I'm nowhere near 16 GB of memory usage, and my disks are not fragmented. My CPU usage is usually less than 50% as well.

I run CCleaner to clear up junk files and clean up my dll registry, and I run Malwarebytes/MSE for anti-virus so I'm clean there as well.

Any insight to what might be causing this would be appreciated.

>dxdiag
https://pastebin.com/R1hxmmeM
>>
>ssd crapping out
>hdd crapping out
>cpu temperature throttling
>gpu temperature throttling
i would check/rule-out stuff in this order

>t. resisted the urge to make fun of someone who bough a mouse that needs an active internet connection to install a driver and change settings
>>
>>292171
it's all of my drives, one of which is brand new so I highly doubt all 3 are crapping out at the same time. cpu and gpu temps are fine. how do i check if my drives are going bad?
>>
>>292179
Right-click on your drive, Properties, Tools, check for errors. It should be the same location where you checked if your disk drives were fragmented.
>>
>>292179
>all of my drives
then it might be your sata controller crapping out. how hot does the south-bridge "cooler" get? is it made of metal or just some plastic (im not familiar with the z97 gaming 5 motherboard)?
>>
>>292189
>>292189
it's plastic. cool to the touch though so i don't think it's overheating.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770
>>292181
running and error check now but it's taking a while
>>
>>292196
is the cooler seated properly on the pch/southbridge? if its not making any contact with whats underneath then that might be the cause.
are the pch temperatures visible on a monitoring software like open hardware monitor?
>>
>>292152

You probably got some kind of clandestine crypto currency miner in some shit you pirated. Serves you right for stealing.
>>
File: file.png (2KB, 214x23px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2KB, 214x23px
>>292202
open hardware monitor doesnt have anything listed under the motherbaord for some reason. any other programs i should try?

https://pastebin.com/uJhzwwgR

i assume my cpu temps are running a little high because of this disk error process i'm running at the moment.
>>
>>292203
not op, but how would something like that run inside a mkv/flac/etc file?
>>
ran a virus scan and there was a host file detected as a threat so i deleted that, but i'm pretty sure I edited it for some reason in the past so it might have been a false positive.

still waiting on this error check to complete on my main drive.
>>
no disk errors were found on my main drive
>>
Quick questions:
1. did you recently update your display drivers
2. is your graphics card nvidia
>>
>>292245
yeah but the problem has been going on for a while and i dont have any graphical problems in games other than the occasional screen tear between my 2 monitors
>>
>>292251
Have you tried looking in the Event Viewer?
Any notable errors?
>>
>>292255
Nothing notable. I guess the only thing is that sometimes discord crashes when I tell the computer to shut down but that doesn't seem like it's related. I'm not sure what it is but when I boot any game not from steam or open any video file they just open incredibly slowly.
>>
>>292259
Strange.
As another Z97 Gaming 5 owner, most of my hangs and shit were resolved when I went back to use a much older version of graphics card driver, but I only knew to do that because my Event Viewer was plagued with constant nvmkmdll (or whatever) crashes.
Don't know why, or what the cause is, itjustwerks so I didn't touch anything else.
>>
>>292259
>>292265
To be slightly more specific, the version I'm on is 344.75. May as well give it a try.
>>
do you have windows updated?
>>
>>292205
that 69 on the cpu package temp is worrisome, since the cpu should be almost in idle when checking the drives for errors. it might be throttling during load, but how that would affect files loading from the hdd im not sure (since the sata controller still resides inside the pch which is nowhere near the cpu)

give a try to what >>292275 said, if if that fails try to reseat your cpu cooler (and/or maybe the vrm cooler)
>>
>>292373
I have an after market heatsink that I never got around to using so I guess now is the time
>>
alright my pc is idling around 64C so i'm gonna slap on this new heatsink and see what happens
>>
couldn't find the bracket for that heatsink i've had laying around, reapplied the thermal paste onto my old heatsink but it's still rocking max temps of 72C at idle. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the heatsink but I don't know what. Fresh thermal paste with good contact and the fan is running and everything else in the case is below 33C
>>
>>292687
thats weird. whats the cpu utilization in "idle"? is it above 5%?
>>
>>292699
with literally nothing except task manager open it's at 12% cpu usage and around 15% memory (16 gb total). time to find out what's using all this memory and cpu i guess
>>
>12%
something is not right, 12% on an 8 thread cpu is like having 1 thread/core running near 100% !
start in safe mode and see if that still happens
>>
>>292702
Not sure what happened but I rebooted not in safe mode and was at 0% usage and sub 40C. Now I just need to find out how to keep it there.
>>
>>292710
Next step, fuck around with msconfig startup processes and see if it's a certain process that's mucking things up
>>
>>292713
svchost.exe is using 13-15% of my cpu and a shitload of memory
>>
File: file.png (68KB, 528x499px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
68KB, 528x499px
highlighted services are linked to that svchost.exe process
>>
>>292718
stopped and started all of the ones on here that i could, no change in cpu usage
>>
>turn off windows update service
>temps drop from 60C to 40C
>cpu usage drops from 13% to 1%

what the H*CK
>>
>>292730
well there you have it, quite a common issue, and way better than a bad mb
set windows update to manual and leave updating whenever you arent on the pc
>>
>>292730
sounds like a pretty common issue
https://superuser.com/questions/1123193/svchost-exe-high-cpu-usage
>>
File: compat service.gif (7KB, 871x49px) Image search: [Google]
compat service.gif
7KB, 871x49px
Worth a shot but try stopping and setting this service to manual/disabled.
It can sometimes steal resources as it gets into an endless loop of trying to find the correct compatability settings from some random application you aren't even using.

Assuming you aren't trying to run anything needing compatability mode then its safe to turn off
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.