[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Compare english translation pls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Hi
I'm russian artist, I try to find people, who could translate my website in English.So now I've several translation from russian to english. Original text was the same. Could you look this three segments and write which is the best from point of view of native speaker. Thank you!

TEXT #1 (BT)

The Artists’ Studio Nasledie (Russian for Heritage) was established in 1990. Only top-class professional restoration artists work in our studio. All of them have vast experience in working at the largest museums of Saint Petersburg and Moscow.

When making an accurate copy of a painting, our first step is to do comprehensive research on the painting and the artist. We have our own electronic database of reproduction photos comprising 65,000 paintings. The quality of the reproductions is so good that we can thoroughly examine any detail. We study the structure of the surface, composition and techniques of priming, paintwork and brushwork. In case the original is exhibited in one of the Saint Petersburg museums we’llgo and see it with our own eyes.

To create an accurate “master copy” we carefully examine the surface of the paint layer, analyzing what paints (or evenbrushes) were used by the artist, and what paint techniques he could use.

We also study the manner in which the artist prepared the basis (canvas or wood panel) of his future work, techniques he used to prime it, apply underpainting and the first paint layers. We analyze how the artist achieved the transparency of paint gradations.

When making a copy of an old masterpiece, we try to reproduce the painting the same way it was five hundred years ago when the artist just finished it. This is due to the fact that with time many paintings look different from the time they were created: the paints have faded, lacquer has turned yellow, etc.

I'll bump with another 2 texts because post has lenght restrictions
>>
TEXT #2 (olastr)

Art workshop Heritage was established in 1990. Only professional art restorers of the highest and first categories with the great practical experience at the largest museums of St. Petersburg and Moscow work in our workshop.

First of all, making an exact copy of a painting we collect all the information about the painting and the painter. We have our own electronic database of photo reproductions including 65,000 paintings. All reproductions are of tremendously high quality that you can see any fine detail. We examine the texture and study the techniques of colors and primer application, their compositions, smearing and smudging techniques. If the originals of paintings are available in museums of St. Petersburg, we go to see them in the museum.

To create an exact replica of master copy we first thoroughly examine the outer paint layer. We try to understand exactly what colors, and even brushes, the artist used and which techniques of applying color layers he could use.
We also carefully study how the master prepared the basis – a canvas or wood panel – for his future work; how he applied the primer, underpainting and the first layers of paint; how he achieved the transparency of colors transitions.

Painting copies of old masters’ masterpieces we try to reproduce the picture as it was 500 years ago, when the artist had just finished his work. In fact, time takes its toll and many pictures now no longer look as they were before: the colors have faded, the lacquer has turned yellow, and so on.
>>
TEXT#3 (alimat1)

Art workshop "Heritage" was founded in 1990. Only professional artists and restorers of the highest and first master category work in our studio. They have had an extensive practical experience in the largest museums of St. Petersburg and Moscow.

While creating exact copies of paintings, we previously gather all the information about the painting and the artist who has created it. We have our own electronic database and photo reproductions, numbering 65 000 paintings. All reproductions are of such quality that they allow to see every detail on it. We investigate the surface structure, methods of application and compositions of coating, layers of paint and character strokes. If original paintings are in the halls of Saint Petersburg's museums, we examine them on the spot.

To create an accurate "master copy" we thoroughly examine the surface of the paint layer, trying to understand exactly what colors (and even brushes) were used by the artist, what techniques he could use in overlaying the paint colours.
We also carefully explore the method which was used by the master for the preparation of the base (canvas or wood panel) of his future work, how he brushed on the ground colour, put a colorful underpainting, the first layers and the way he achieved the transparency of colour transitions.

When making copies of masterpieces of old masters we try to reproduce the picture as it was 500 years ago when the artist just finished his work. This is due to the fact that time gets its way and many of the paintings don't look now as they have looked before: paint has faded, the varnish has yellowed, etc.
>>
>>291150
They're all bad translations, probably owing to the remit of translating the non-English original sentence-by-sentence, but #1 is the best.

#1 sounds like a native speaker with decent writing skills got asked to translate something sentence-by-sentence, and did the best he could. The other two read like ESLs translating out of their native language: as well as having an unnatural structure, there are incorrect or unusual word choices and many grammatical mistakes, some of which are pretty elementary.

>>291153
>first categories
Isn't a phrase that means anything in English
>with the great practical experience
attributes don't get an article; the "the" shouldn't be there.

>>291154
>highest and first master category
If that's correct, it's jargon, and if it's jargon it's not appropriate language to be using for the target audience.
>>291154
>While creating exact copies of paintings, we previously gather all t
"While" is incorrect (#1 got it right), because it implies no connection between the two activities ("while I was on the bus to work, I saw two guys walking a zebra"); the correct word is "when" ("when I get the bus to work, I never arrive on time").
>>
>>291161
Thank you for your answer. I missed that categories of artisis exists only in Russia - becase in USSR all artists, writers have different categories and were supported by the government according to it. That's how state could control them all.
>>
>>291161
That said, #3 is way better than #2.

If you prefer the tone of #3, all it really needs is a native English proofreader to catch stuff like

>>291154
>put a
*applied
>>291154
>allow to see
*allow us to see
"allow" is transitive, so the sentence needs a direct object.
>>
The Artists’ Studio Nasledie (Russian for Heritage) was established in 1990. Only top-class professional restoration artists work in our studio. All have vast experience in working at the largest museums of Saint Petersburg and Moscow.

When creating exact copies of paintings, we gather all the information about the painting and the artist who has created it. We have our own electronic database and photo reproductions numbering 65,000 paintings. All reproductions are of such quality that they allow us to see every detail. We investigate the surface structure, methods of application and compositions of coating, layers of paint and character strokes. If original paintings are in the halls of Saint Petersburg's museums, we examine them in person.

To create an exact replica we first thoroughly examine the outer paint layer. We try to understand exactly what colours, and even brushes the artist used and which techniques of applying colour layers they could use.
We also carefully study how the master prepared the basis, a canvas or wood panel, how they applied the primer, underpainting and the first layers of paint and how they achieved the transparency of colour transitions.

When making copies of masterpieces we try to reproduce the picture as it was 500 years ago when the artist finished their work. This is due to the fact that time takes its toll and many of the paintings don't look now as they have looked before, paint has faded, the varnish has yellowed, etc.
>>
>>291167
Thank you, as I understand the best way is to translate text in english first and then ask native speaker to fix it. If you don't mind you could write your mail here and I'll write you to discuss terms of cooperation. Thank you again.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 618x572px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 618x572px
>>291172
The best way is to find someone that knows the source language well enough to understand it, and the target language well enough that he can edit books in it, and have him do a translation that doesn't need any fixing up.

If you go to the translated books section of your local bookstore, you'll see that all the books credit a single translator, not a translator and a translation-checker.

The reason most fan translation teams have a source-speaker translate out and then a target-speaker try to clean up the mess is because real translators are expensive, and are too busy being paid to translate.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.