[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calculus Area between curves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: GetImage (1).png (71KB, 653x787px) Image search: [Google]
GetImage (1).png
71KB, 653x787px
I don't get how to do this. It's been reviewed in class and forever and even had a project and I still don't get it fully. This is the homework my professor posted and I don't understand it. Like what is h(x), how did she get .16. I need help
>>
File: calc.png (18KB, 787x557px) Image search: [Google]
calc.png
18KB, 787x557px
If you don't understand the first problem, the following you will be completely lost on the following ones. Here's a picture to help you visualize what's happening.

h(x) in your professor's example is the difference between the two curves. Because you're looking for the area between the two curves, h(x) will be the curve furthest away from the x axis - the curve closest to it.
What my not-to-scale picture is trying to represent the the subtraction of one area from another. If you imagine subtracting the blue area from the purple, you'll be left with the red.
>>
>>290223
Ok So I now see I have to integrate e^-x minus sqrt(x). I also want to assume the intersection of the two equations is my upper bound. SO once I've done that, I guess a calculator is my best friend at that point.
>>
Wait a second, I got another problem where all it's giving me is y=sqrt(49-x^2), x=7 and the axis(es?). It says the axis of rotation is the x axis, I don't get if I have to outline the inner part the y-equation or betweeen x=7 nad the y-equation
>>
>>290243
Could you post the actual question? If it's as simple as you're stating it, you would just rotate y = sqrt(49 - x^2) around the x axis. y = sqrt(49 - x^2) is literally just the upper half of a circle with a radius of 7 so x = 7 is pretty irrelevant. Since this is half a circle being rotate about its midpoint you can be even lazier and just use the volume of a sphere with radius 7.
>>
>>290284
Op here, I finished it and simply found the area of everywhere, BUT inside of y=sqrt(49-x^2) with a bound at x=7. I thought you needed to find the volume of what appears to be a sphere but it looks like we're supposed to find the volume of inbetween y-equation and x=7. If a problem comes up that I have 0 leads on I'll be sure to brb.
>>
OP here with more depression. I thought I knew what this problem was asking until I re-read it 5 times and I'm confused. The problem reads exactly "The region in the first quadrant bounded by the line y=7, below by the curve y=sqrt(7x), and on the left by the y-axis, about the line y=7." What am I reading?? Skipping this problem into I get some help.
>>
File: dasfsf.png (7KB, 450x302px) Image search: [Google]
dasfsf.png
7KB, 450x302px
>>290379
It's always helpful to graph the curves if you don't know what you're integrating. They want the area below y = 7 and above y = sqrt(7x). The y-axis is your starting bound and the intersection of the two curves is your right ending bound.
>>
>>290412
That's what I originally thought I had to integrate, yet as I kept reading the question I thought I had to integrate infinite area which is dumb, but I still believed it. I started working on this at 5 pm with limited breaks and am only on #12, I need to learn to be more efficient and stop letting time run away. Thanks for the help!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.