[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Installed Ram on pc, wont boot up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 01_1_15.png (170KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
01_1_15.png
170KB, 500x500px
So, earlier I bought new RAM to install inside my pc. When I installed it and boot up the pc, it just goes into an infinite black screen. I tried putting back the old ram to see, and same issue. So right now, I can't boot up windows or anything

I can Access BIOS tho, tried setting it to XMP, reset the CMOS, made sure the RAMs are well place and clipped. I'm out of ideas. help?

My specs:
Motherboard is Asus P8Z77-V LX
New Ram was Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 1600MHz 16GB Kit (2x8GB) CL9 1.5V CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9
Old ram was Ballistix DDR3 1600 MHz 8gb 1.5V

Am I fucked? I'm opened to ideas.

Pic related, the new rams
>>
File: OnePlus 3T.png (143KB, 352x395px) Image search: [Google]
OnePlus 3T.png
143KB, 352x395px
Mem-ok didn't work?
>>
If your hdd are detected by bios then theres no issue with the ram, the issue is with possibly the bootloader or possibly the os install became corrupt. boot from the arch linux iso and run "lsblk" then run "df -h" and post the output of both.
>>
File: image:277.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image:277.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>288210
No i tried with both old and new ram. Gave me this screen for the old one. Dunno if i should chane shit in settings
>>
>>288206
>can access BIOS
You've disodged something that isn't the RAM when you fitted it, probably a SATA power cable.
>>
Please confirm whether or not you are able to access the BIOS with the new ram.
>>
>>288212
How do i do that exactly?

>>288215
pretty sure i made sure to not dislodge anything, i even made sure all the cables were well plugged and all.

>>288216
I can access the BIOS with the new rams on.
>>
>>288217
Good, keep the new ram in.
Do you have a PC available to you to make a bootable CD or USB with?
>>
>>288217
Then the new RAM is working fine. No RAM, no computing; no computing, no BIOS screen.

I guarantee you you fucked something else up that isn't the RAM.
>>
>>288221
How can I know what I fucked up tho?

>>288220
I'm on another pc right now. Have a usb key. What is your plan?
>>
>>288222
Is the USB key at least 4GB? if so put your specific version of windows on it, boot from it, and see if you can boot into it successfully. if you can, good. Google what to do to repair windows bootloader. DO NOT START THE INSTALL PROCESS. You will be running commands from cmd off of the usb drive which i believe is under advanced.
>>
>>288224
Where can i get the windows version to put on my usb? on microsoft site? And if im not starting the install process what do i do? also, how do i make sure the usb gets read by the pc to iniate the thing? do i just change the boot priority?
>>
>>288226
For windows 7 google "digitalriver mirror". for windows 8-10, use the microsoft media creation tool from microsofts site.

you're fine as long as you don't wipe the partitions. google what to do I've not repaired a windows bootloader in a long time.

When you see that splash screen press the key for boot menu. (amibios is usually f12 i think but it should say at the bottom) and choose the flash drive. dont change boot priority.
>>
Did you try messing with SATA mode? Change IDE to AHCI as a test and try booting.
>>
>>288228
Making the usb atm.

>>288229
Where do I go exactly for that?
>>
>>288230

In BIOS there should be setting, manual for your mobo shows this.
>>
>>288232
Alright, just checked. already is in AHCI. should i switch it to IDE?
>>
The idea is that if your Windows was installed or converted to AHCI mode, and you reset BIOS it often will default to IDE mode.

When you boot the system cannot boot in IDE mode if the drive is AHCI. It will show black screen or sometimes and error.

Or the other way around sometimes. Drive is IDE and set to AHCI by default.
>>
>>288233
Yeah try IDE, if it doesn't work set it back to AHCI.
>>
>>288235
Hmm, i think i remember having booting issues in the past so i mightve changed the thing to ahci, but i did reset the cmos which resets the bios i think no?

>>288236
It wont hurt my pc or anything ahah?
>>
>>288239

It's not going to hurt your PC no, IDE and AHCI are driver modes they don't do any changes or clocks or anything like that.

Just try it already and let us know if it works.

Also possible that your AHCI driver is failing or something like that on Windows.
>>
>>288242
Just tried. Got the usual blackscreen of infinity. So theres no progress so far. USB with my windows version is almost done, ill try to boot up from it
>>
>>288243

Okay set it back to AHCI and you can rule out SATA Mode issue.

I recommend unplugging the drive and replugging it again, double check all connections on motherboard as well. The drive might not be plugged in fully.

And yes try the LIVE USB after if still not resolved.
>>
>>288245
For unplugging the drive, do i just need to unplug the pins attached to it that gives it power, or is there something else i should know? Sorry for all the questions, when it comes to computer reparation, I'm a bit of a newcomer in it. I really appreciate all of you guys suggestions!
>>
>>288247

Unplug all connections from drive and motherboard, should be 2 cables, 4 connections, and re-plug all them again.

You can even try a different SATA connection, to rules out that your original didn't fail.
>>
>>288254
Alright, i unplugged and replugged my Drive, made sure everything was well plugged into mobo. No results really. Havent tried the different SATA connection. What is SATA anyway
>>
File: foxconn_sata_connector.jpg (70KB, 425x319px) Image search: [Google]
foxconn_sata_connector.jpg
70KB, 425x319px
>>288263

See pic.

Also the HDD is showing perfectly fine in your BIOS right?
>>
Okay boys, I put in the USB drive, some progress, I actually can boot from the USB. So right now i have the windows 10 installer on my compy screen. I'll try to do a bootloader repair.

>>288266
And yes.
>>
Just a question. The fact that i could boot up from usb to get windows installer there and it shows and all means my ram is fine and all? so it really is a booting issue?
>>
>>288271

Yes, it's very unlikely it's a RAM issue, looks like a drive issue or boot issue. You should still run memtest on the RAM overnight 8-10 hours.

If you reset your BIOS, it might be a setting even.

Is there an option, when you boot to force boot the specific drive? Like it says select device to boot or something before you enter bios?

Might be related: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asus-p8z77-v-failure-to-boot-into-win-8.2313182/
>>
>>288273
yeah if i press shift f8 it asks me which devide i want to boot from, thats how i accessed the usb to boot the installer. i tried to do a troubleshoot + a automatic repair, said it couldnt repair, so i tried the manual way, need to retry. If this fails, considering the fact that the windows usb installer is where we made the most progress, what should i do from there.
>>
So, ive done the command prompts way of repairing, rebooted my pc, now when i boot from hard drive the windows logo appears, but nothing else so far. any idea?

I tried the bootrec/fixmbr command.

there was the bootrec /fixboot thats supposed to write a new boot sector to the system partition, overwriting the previous one. I dont know if i should as an anon said earlier not to overwrite partition or something. opinions?
>>
So after letting the window logo chill the os booted and i could log into my session. i restarted the pc to make sure its fine, it takes a very long time for windows to boot before i can do anything. id say about 10 minutes with the logo, before the circle loading thingie appears and the windows sound appears. but at least its big progress from before. it actually works. im open for idea to shorten th ewindows booting up time.
>>
Run Windows Memory Diagnostic, you also want to run memtest overnight via a USB stick to make sure new RAM is working 100%.

Run error-checking on disk, right click on HDD and select Properties, Tools select Check Now, it will say it can't do it without unmounting click okay or cancel and it will give you an option to run on next boot.

Check event viewer to see if you have any problems.

Check msconfig, make sure you got nothing weird loading in background.

Disable super-fetch: https://www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch

Did you recently install any updates or programs? Try system restore.

---

I would really check connections on your HDD. Even if it looks okay I would change to a different SATA port on Motherboard and go as far as to use a different SATA cable and even a different power connector from your motherboard.

---

Also check speed of your Hard Drive, and check SMART diagnostics to see if anything is failing. Go as far as testing it on a different computer.
>>
Also did you plug anything new into PC? Like a USB stick or something, could be a bug, unplug and replug any USB connectors and leave any USB thumb drives out when booting Windows.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.