[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPU Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 14908215825011754583368.jpg (3MB, 2880x5120px) Image search: [Google]
14908215825011754583368.jpg
3MB, 2880x5120px
I have a secondary PC in my bedroom and I'd like to replace the aging GPU.

It currently uses a gtx 650 ti and it's fine for most games I play but it does tend to get a little noisy for the bedroom. Doesn't bother me but the wife complains and i cant exactly tell her to gtfo.

So I'm basically wondering if there are any PASSIVELY cooled cards which would have better performance for under 100 bucks?

Not sure if this is the right board for this question.
>>
Passively cooled video cards exist, but they are quite rare. Video cards with a modest fan are more common, but odds are you already have one of those (most models of the gtx 650 ti seem to have a fairly modest fan) and it is not satisfactory.

The Palit KalmX series is a set of passively cooled cards; it contains (at least) a gtx 750 ti version, which is a slight downgrade over the gtx 650 ti, and a gtx 1050 ti version which is a modest upgrade. I don't think they fit your budget though.

>Doesn't bother me but the wife complains and i cant exactly tell her to gtfo.
I imagine they are only loud while you are actually playing, right? Modern cards should be silent or nearly so as long as they are not in use.
>>
Thanks man, i figured the kalmx was the best bet. It's not so much that it's out of my price range, more that i cant justify spending that amount on a gpu for a pc that may see 3-5 hours a week of gaming. I suppose I can sell the 650 to bring the overall cost to just over 100.
>>
>>288119
>a gtx 1050 ti version which is a modest upgrade
I'm not sure "twice as fast" is "a modest upgrade".

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-650-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2189vs3649
>>
>>288122
>i cant justify spending that amount on a gpu for a pc that may see 3-5 hours a week of gaming.
Then get a passive cooler for your current card.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-S3-Graphics-Compatible/dp/B00RVAEI1E
>>
>>288142
Quite right, anon. I only looked at some quick numbers without comparing benchmarks. It seems I considerably underestimated the upgrade.
>>
powercooler r7-370 is quiet as fuck if you're looking for quiet

to be honest if i had a 650ti i would just open it up replace paste and remove dust and keep using it
>>
Thanks guys, i think an aftermarket cooler may be my best option, that would also leave enough cash for a couple of silent case fans too.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.