[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your stance on Windows 10?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: gender confused anime grill.jpg (65KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gender confused anime grill.jpg
65KB, 500x500px
What is your stance on Windows 10?
>>
Wish it was more customizable.
Backwards compability is good, all my old programs and games work well (upgraded from 7)
Privacy was my concern, but I can plug all connections through special software (DoNotSpy 10 etc.) Though I'd still rather if they didn't do that shit from the get go
Updates have literally never bothered me during use, like in the horror-stories all over the net, maybe because I have the pro version.

All in all, a decent OS. Considering I paid nothing for it, because my win 7 was [spoiler]pirated[/spoiler] :^)
>>
>>286059
I'm a normie when it comes to computers. I don't mind it, but I don't see what it offers over Windows 7. Some of my old disc based games that did work on Win7 don't work on 10 which is really lame. When I googled, it has something to do with the drm being incompatible. Ironically, there's no fix other than straight up piracy.
>>
>>286059
Install Gentoo
>>
File: w10-laptop.jpg (506KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
w10-laptop.jpg
506KB, 1920x1080px
>>286059
It's alright. I have it on my "normie machine" which also my family uses.
My main machine has Xubuntu.
>>
>>286059
I would recommend running on dual boot if you have windows 10. Have Windows as a primary OS. Install a second OS in the event your windows 10 craps out from some update.
>>
You are the product.
Potentially more a privacy threat than even google
>>
broken shit but everyone seems to love it and even i use it. I'm literally resolving a "anniversary update failed" due to file corruption by unplugging all preiphereals and running the update headless.
>>
>>286059
It's messy and gives off a vibe of the user being a child. The vibe began in Windows 8, and I, personally can't stand it. "We'll do this action for you", "Wait while we take care of it", "You appear to have received BSOD, wait while we connect information and restart the computer for you". After a bit of customizing any computer, you'd call it yours. When Windows 10 is installed, Microsoft tells you in every possible step that it's their computer, not yours, and that they allow you to use it. And on top of that, they handle you like a baby who doesn't need to know what the adults are doing.
Privacy settings are automatically set to "transparent", and not only does Microsoft not say it outright during installation, but they hide the custom settings during installation. "Next" is a clear button, "let me choose" appears like plain text, not even underlined, iirc. Because of the default transparency, even if you decide your own household machines don't share anything, giving a guest your WiFi password will likely share it with Microsoft. And I think Microsoft wants to share your password with your guests' Facebook friends or something.

I say it's messy because the settings are all over the place. They made a settings "app", they made a new settings page a la Linux, and there's still the good old control panel. No matter how much I tried, I could never find the thing I looked for the first try. It's so messy that msconfig has a "startup" tab, but it's empty with a "we moved" message.
I bought a Windows 8 laptop which had a faulty OEM installation. It was bad. I got BSODs from simply running on battery, without fail. Foolishly, I updated it to 10 without a clean install, and while it was an improvement, it was still bugged to some degree, and slow. I'll put slowness and bugs aside, but the sheer discomfort of the interface was too much to bear, and I have that laptop a clean Windows 7 install. I don't regret it.
>>
>>286349
hate to samefag but god damn its retarded that you have to resort to this to do something that would be so simple even on fucking gentoo
>>
Next week I may buy a new desktop. If so, it'll be another W10 that will replace my laptop, which I'm using as my main right now. Then I'd install Antergos on the laptop so I can get familiar with Arch. I read the Wiki a bit but I still didn't lurk enough. So I thought I'd use it as a "testing machine". The idea of free software is appealing to me; I'd also like to be less spied on.

Anyway, the new main desktop would stay on W10 for a while until I figured out how to properly use Arch. Then I might overwrite it with Arch or Antergos too.

I want to replace my laptop with a new desktop PC because I feel limited-- not only by the small 1600x900 resolution. I can't properly play games on it and watching things, working with and staring at it feels uncomfortable due to my position-- I can use my PC up to 12 hours a day, mostly I'm on it 6-8 hours.
Anyway, it's not like I would play the latest shit on it, I'm a consolefag by choice, I'd probably play something like indie games, doujins, VNs, Dota and that's it.
But it would still be very important for me to have a PC that could do several task without getting slow/overheated, in case I need to run more programs. My IRC and Chrome are basically always running and sometimes I open more programs/tabs at once.
I'd be fine if the PC could run something like GTA4 on high settings and still perform great with a few programs opened, like Steam.

I'd like to spent 1100€ max for it, then additionally 200 for the screen etc.
My current laptop seems to perform fine when playing Dota for example; it's got an i5 and Nvidia Geforce. It starts to lag in threads that are very big, not sure if that's relevant.

So, I've got some questions now.
>What specs should I look out for? Are pre-built "gaming" PCs worth getting?
>Is this a good idea?
>Could you recommend something better?
>Should I keep using my current PC?

Thing is, I'd be broke if I were to buy a new PC now and really, this entire idea just came to me yesterday evening.
>>
>>286384
Prebuilts are a bad idea. A very, very bad idea. Check the /g/ sticky and theres a wealth of info there.
>>
>>286059
Had a Windows 8 laptop downgraded to Windows 7 for 3 years, no crashes. Got a Windows 10 laptop with better specs, 6 BSODs in 4 months.
>>
>>286427
OP here again.

Not sure why but I've never had bluescreens with my laptop.

It runs on Win 10, originally was installed with 8.1.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.