[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC crashing issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 225c1f7424724fedaa8afb17cb7ff04c.jpg (947KB, 1920x1092px) Image search: [Google]
225c1f7424724fedaa8afb17cb7ff04c.jpg
947KB, 1920x1092px
Sorry for the long post but I want to be very detailed so that hopefully someone will be able to diagnose this. TL;DR my PC crashes every time I try to play videogames for more than about half an hour.

My PC has been having semi-frequent crashes for at least a year. I don't know why the crashes occur, but they usually happen while I'm doing something that involves the GPU. When the PC crashes, the screen will glitch for a split second and then turn black. After the screen turns black, the sound will repeat rapidly for a few seconds before going silent. After this, the PC becomes unresponsive and I have to hold the power button to turn it off. Very rarely, the screen will show a glitchy BSOD with an error saying the device driver got stuck in an infinite loop.

The problem went away 2 months ago after I tried a bunch of different possible solutions at the same time, such as moving wires inside the PC, removing the GPU and putting it back in, uninstalling and reinstalling the GPU's drivers, unplugging and plugging in the hard drive, making sure every cable in the PC is secure, laying the PC on its side so the motherboard faced up, and turning on MSI Afterburner's custom fan settings. After I did this, I could play games and watch videos without any crashes.

[1/2]
>>
[2/2]

However, I recently bought Nier Automata and the issue has returned. After playing Nier for about an hour I closed it and went to go eat. When I came back, I touched the mouse and the PC crashed, in the same way that I described above.

When I tried to turn the PC back on, it would crash before reaching the login screen. Eventually I got past this by uninstalling the GPU driver in Safe Mode and installing a more recent driver.

However, now whenever I try to play Nier or Final Fantasy XIV, after a certain length of time, the PC will crash. I haven't tested any other games but I'm sure these two are not the only ones that can crash the PC. Sometimes the crash occurs within minutes of the game launching and sometimes it will occur after an hour. I've tried everything I did that I thought worked 2 months ago but the crashes keep happening.

My GPU is an AMD Radeon R9 290.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or anything similar?
>>
do you have a temp monitoring program? is your machine overheating?
>>
>>285626
I have a few. Earlier when the PC crashed I took out the GPU and it was pretty hot so I left it out of the PC to cool. I don't know if overheating is the cause. It has gotten as hot as 95C while still working fine in the past but when I feel the GPU after a crash it's always hot.

Also, one thing I tried that I haven't done before that seems to have made the crashes less frequent is I removed the processor fan and put it back. When I did that, I noticed there's no thermal paste under the fan.

Sometimes when I turn the PC back on after a crash I hear a sound like a fan is hitting something, but it eventually stops. Whenever I open the PC I don't see any wires that might be getting caught in the fans.
>>
>>285655
>I removed the processor fan and put it back. When I did that, I noticed there's no thermal paste under the fan.

dear lord, that was going to be my next suggestion. it costs like $5 a tube, and over time it can dry out and provide less heat transfer. my machine would routinely get up around 90 degrees and then crash when running the attack of the b-team modpack of minecraft. it also ruined half of my memory.

gunk up that bad boy right away, and while your're at it blow all the dust off everything inside.
>>
>>285783
>my machine would routinely get up around 90 degrees and then crash

forgot to add the problem went away when i removed the fan on the cpu, scraped the old gunk off, applied new and (of course) put it back.
>>
>>285783
>>285784
Thanks, anon! I just ordered some tubes and they'll be arriving in a few days. In the mean time, will making my GPU fan run faster at lower temperatures be the best way to slow down crashes?
>>
>>285884
Should not hurt. Also https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996634(v=exchg.65).aspx to determine what happened.Other then that, usual BSOD advices should apply
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.