[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calculus help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 7

File: 1481799931091.jpg (16KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1481799931091.jpg
16KB, 512x384px
Took a couple years off so I'm a little rusty at math.
Currently learning about Integration by parts. Can someone post a question and show me how they solve it?

My professor said the first step is always seeing if the question was on a list of integrals or whatever we were given and that most people make it into an indefinite integral, back substitute, find the antiderivative and then go back to the definite integral using the antiderivative we just found.
>>
Post an example. I took up to calc 2 last year. I'll see if I can remember.
>>
Check out symbolab.com

Shows step by step solutions with explanations
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>284619
You can look up plenty of examples online. It's basically the product rule in reverse.
>>
File: calcs.png (9KB, 844x258px) Image search: [Google]
calcs.png
9KB, 844x258px
>>284619
It's a good tool to have on your tool belt to solve some tricky integrals. It's not something that is immediately obvious to use, but it's something to keep in mind if you ever find yourself exhausted of things to try. Like >>284622 shows, you can view the integral as basically and product of u and dv. Similar to when you do a u substitution, you are going to be taking the derivative of u, but this time you are also taking the anti-derivative of dv. What you want to try to do when choosing which is u and which is dv is to pick them so that they reduce to something easier to solve after taking the derivative / anti derivative. In my pic I'm just showing a case where u and dv are not obvious, but end up allowing you to actually take the anti-derivative of lnx.
>>
File: 1447468008411.jpg (149KB, 767x890px) Image search: [Google]
1447468008411.jpg
149KB, 767x890px
here's a random example while I have you guys here
∫ x^3ln5x

>>284621
>>284622
>>284629
thanks man and my fucking prof was saying it was derived from product rule but had nothing to do with it
>>
File: asacas.png (13KB, 725x288px) Image search: [Google]
asacas.png
13KB, 725x288px
>>284630
It's clear you really want to get rid of that ln(5x) in there.
>>
File: callcs.png (31KB, 876x619px) Image search: [Google]
callcs.png
31KB, 876x619px
>>284629
Another example I like is when you have cyclical things in you integrand (eg. e^x, cos, sin etc.)
>>
File: yusei1.png (716KB, 840x471px) Image search: [Google]
yusei1.png
716KB, 840x471px
>>284637
>>284638
thanks anon you've been a huge help
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.