[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows 7 Installation Woes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1486590946190.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1486590946190.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>build PC a year ago
>fell for Windows 10 meme (now we've established that I'm retarded, okay)
>finally decide to make a partition for Windows 7
>make partition on HDD
>okay neat that worked, (this is the last time anything works as intended in this story)
>Run Windows 7 iso
>Run setup
>gets to the first reboot point
>on reboot get error message "The digital signature message for this file couldn't be verified" (system32/winload.efi)
>okay, I'll try booting it from USB
>use Microsoft's USB Tool
>installs files but get error "could not run bootsect"
>use Rufus' USB Tool instead, that one works without problems apparently
>now I should be able to boot from drive, right?
>wrong!
>Reboot, press F8, boot from USB
>Get to Windows 7 Install
>"drive device driver is missing"
>Use DoubleDriver to backup all my drivers in one spot
>try to re-install every single compatible USB driver at the W7 setup screen
>none of them work
>see a common solution online to be simply moving the port that the USB drive is plugged in to
>that doesn't work
And that's where I'm stuck now. I'm ready to give up unless someone can whip my retarded ass into doing it right. I've been hand-held through this by someone who parititioned W7 on their machine with the exact same method, but he didn't have any of these issues.
>>
>>282929
Windows 7 doesn't support XHCI, so you can't install it on a computer that only has XHCI USB ports, because after the BIOS hands the USB device over to Windows Installer, Windows Installer can't drive it.

If you really want to install a seven-year-old OS on your PC, you'll need to install off a DVD, or put in a PCI USB card that does EHCI.
>>
>>282931
I see, that makes sense. Main reason I was determined to use a USB drive is because I had no discs readily available. I guess tracking one down is my next course of action. I'm not familiar with this XHCI business, what are the chances that the USB ports on the back of my machine aren't XHCI?
>>
>>282931
>Windows 7 doesn't support XHCI, so you can't install it on a computer that only has XHCI USB ports
Got another question about that, please excuse my unfamiliarity with this subject. My machine does have 3.0 and 2.0 ports, and none work of course like I previously mentioned. Are all of them XHCI, even the 2.0 ports?
>>
>>282944
On Skylake, yes. XHCI supports USB 1.2, 2 and 3, so there's no need for any other controller.

Some motherboards with loads of 2.0 ports will add an EHCI controller (though they might just add another XHCI for simplicity), and older boards will have EHCI in the chipset and an add-on XHCI to provide some USB 3 ports.

So it can't hurt to try it.
>>
>>282944
Oh, you already said you tried them all. That would mean they're all XHCI, even the USB 2 ones.
>>
>>282947
I didn't try the 2 on the back. Trying to figure out if those could work.
this is the MB: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132567
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 992x204px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 992x204px
>>282952
>this is the MB:
According to the manual they're all XHCI.
>>
>>282966
yep, read that too but wasn't entirely sure if that meant what I thought it meant. thanks so much pal, didn't expect to get this quality of help on /wsr/. time to go find a dvd, I guess.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.