[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stylized Panels in Anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

So I'm watching Dragonball GT and there's this moment in the OP that I really like where it shows characters moving inside manga-like (or comic-like) panels. I see this here and there sometimes in this OP or that ED, but never really in a show itself. Why is that? Why aren't there more anime that do this kind of thing regularly in action scenes? Anime has this reputation here in the West of being hyper-stylized like this, but I honestly can't think of many examples. There are even cartoons of the west that do this stuff more. (Thinking mostly of Samurai Jack.)

Am I right in thinking this, or have I just totally missed out on these kind of shows? Anybody know of shows that do this sort of thing alot?
>>
FLCL goes full manga in the first episode for a bit, but it's not really an action sequence.
>>
KareKano has a lot of its manga moments. Late 90's & early 00's Gainax are really something.
>>
>>281225
Because it's a cheap way to convey action. You just have to make minor panel movements, instead of a full action, with angles and different perspectives. It does look cool and stylized, but no one wants to have the "cheap animation" reputation. DBGT had no shame in ther budget cuts, so they just rolled with it. My guess is the old alternative animes will have some of those.Try the Dragon Quest anime, who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUeqKpReOk
>>
>>281225

I'm sure some other anime I've watched have done it, but Ping Pong does it a lot and it works very well. The anime itself is pretty stylized, too. Some people don't like that about it though, but if you're a good person like I know you are, you'll most likely really enjoy it.

Also, mostly unrelated, but if you want more interesting techniques of animation, Trigger's original stuff (as in not adaptions) usually tries to do some wacky and cool animation every episode or so, which might also be something you want. Who knows.
>>
>>281234
Yes, I'm aware of this and it is probably my favorite part of the show because it's the funniest. I am looking for more action stuff though.
>>281259
Any titles in particular? Any sci-fi stuff?
>>281268
I would hardly call a single moment in the OP or ED a cost cutting measure, but I do agree that it can be used that way. As a way of not actually showing a hit and not having two characters actually interact on screen, similar to cutting to black and showing curved streaks to indicate sword slashes. Yeah that would be a lame and artisticly cheap method of cost cutting. But I do think it could be used in some neat ways that would make a show a hell of alot of fun to watch.

As an addendum to my OP, Iria The Zeiram Animation also has some cool comic panel stuff in its opening, bit nothing like that in the actual show. And, of course, Cowboy Bebop has alot of it in its opening, but again not in the show itself. It's kinda frustrating, this kinda style would really lend itself to something like Bebop.
>>
>>281294
You really did not caught any budget cut on the Opening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcuDgVYjgI

There's tons of them. Every trick in the book is used here, zoom in/out to a big picture frame, characters still while few foreground things move, loop running scenes, shadow moving instead of characters. List goes on.

Having no budget is okay, and using tricks to avoid costs is nothing but normal, even Disney does lot of those. Only pointing out that DBGT is not exactly the most expansive anime of all time...and it shows
>>
>>281302
I mean, I see what you're saying and I don't disagree with you, but at the same time there's also,
>lots of moving perspectives
>animated backgrounds
>characters rushing into the foreground to strike a dramatic pose
That stuff ain't the easiest to animate.
>>
It's the compensation rule. Usually if you want to impress in one scene, you will have to hold it in another one. DBZ always have 2 or 3 episodes about nothing but teleportation and still talk, until the real fight happens, for example. However in the opening usually the studios give the animators good amounts of money, since the opening will make the first impression, even if all the rest of the series will never comes close to it. Thundercats is a good example, It had one awesome opening, and pretty cheap episodes. The DBGT cuts become more apparent when, contrary to usual /a/ fashion, their new openings for the season are nothing but the exactly same opening, but with different frames at the ending. Talking about the ending, they are the rime example of loop/running scenes with still panels. They do not even try to hide it
>>
>>281312
>>281322
meant
>>
File: Burning Blood - osamu post card.jpg (125KB, 1169x480px) Image search: [Google]
Burning Blood - osamu post card.jpg
125KB, 1169x480px
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.