[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wifi Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

How can I get a better wifi connection?

My one and only access to the internet, is via xfinity's wifi hotspot. And if you know anything about the hotspot network, it's essentially made up of signals emitted from the routers of your typical xfinity customer.

What this means is, my signal is as strong as my neighbor's router. Which, actually, is pretty strong. I have a good connection, but not a perfect connection.

Apparently there is something interfering. Because my connection goes from buttery smooth, to absolute zero. Back and forth, very frequently. Like within seconds. And then sometimes, I get these windows where it's smooth for hours and hours. Everything appears fine for a while, but then it always inevitably goes back to cutting out.

I've searched around for solutions, and the only thing I get back, is that there's probably some device causing interference. Like a phone or something. But I don't know anything concrete.

So what I want to know is: How do stabilize my wifi signal?
>>
>>279044
if you're having interference, which is pretty common yes, you can help get around it by switching to a less occupied channel
go into your router's menu and fuck around with which channel it uses. usually this can help if you find a less occupied channel. There should be like 12 of them.
the better solution would be to switch both your router and your receiver to a 5ghz channel, which are much less common and therefore much less occupied
in the meantime move closer to your router

if you don't have control over your router your only choice will be to complain to your isp.
>>
>>279075
Thanks for the reply.

I have read about changing the channel. But unfortunately, I don't own the router. I'm paying xfinity to use their hotspot, but the signal is from neighboring routers. I can't really know which one specifically, since I live in an apartment building with many different router signals.

I tried complaining to xfinity. But they basically explained how it's out of their hands. Basically, they told me the signal can be interrupted by pretty much anything. A microwave, a phone, or even a book set atop the router. Lame.

I'm going to try changing my receiver's channel. But I'm not quite sure how to do that. Guess I'll google it.
>>
>>279085
>I'm going to try changing my receiver's channel
that's not how it works. It's just the broadcasting radio's channel that matters.
If you complained to xfinity and they said eat shit then you only have 2 choices, really.
1. eat shit
2. complain more
sorry that it has to be this way
>>
>>279088
K. That's what I figured. I guess I was just hoping someone here had a secret trick or something.
>>
one thing you can -try- on your end is lowering the connection rate of your wireless adapter/card. depending on the router / adapter sometimes you can be connected to the wifi at a speed far greater than the actual speed of your internet (300 mbps connection from computer to router when your internet only hits 10mbps etc), and sometimes switching down to a lower speed can result in a steadier connection. in win7 this'd be under network connections -> change adapter settings -> select your wifi adapter -> properties -> configure -> advanced and select it from the list. it's probably defaulted to auto, you can play with it and see if it helps your connection stability at all.
>>
>>279129
Alright, thanks for the suggestion. I doubt it will help. But fuck it. I could give it a try.
I'm inside a smooth connection window right now though. So I'm afraid to fuck it up
>>
Another thing you can try would be a "cantenna" but I don't know if they're "tuned" properly for the 5GHz channel.
>>
>>279088
well you have the third option of "get a real internet connection instead of just borrowing the neighbor's shitty wifi network"
that would probably cost more though
>>
>>279229
I also use my neighbors WiFi. I get shitty signal. I was thinking about buying a TV antenna with a wifi booster they sell at Walmart. You think it will work?
>>
Why use Comcast's shitty wifi when you can set up your own wifi? Costs too much?

Also those times when internet goes down is probably the real owner of the wifi uses it, as they are a priority. They probably don't even know Comcast is using their router to resell extra bandwidth to you.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.