[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my computer is boned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
my HP Pavilion x360 won't turn on
i've tried everything that i know and it still won't power on
note: the light on the caps lock button blinks every 4 to 5 seconds for 1 second if that helps
>>
Maybe the power supply is burnt out. Are you sure its plugged in and the switch on the PS is turned on?
>>
>>276870

It is boned if the motherboard is damaged, but it could also just be the switch or the power supply. Are you capable of opening a laptop?
On the motherboard there will be a pin that is connected to the switch, a current on this pin is what makes the machine start, so the first thing would be to test of the switch still works or if the starting signal is not sent anymore.
Also if the laptop was not completely shut down it should react to closing and opening it again..
The other possibility is tha it simply does not get power from the power supply anymore. Can be tested with another PSU with the same voltage and current. Ifit doesn't work could be a broken wire at the plug.

In summary: Opening the thing would be good. Also a multimeter would be handy.
>>
>>276882
i'll try that later
thanks dude
>>
>>276870

It appears your HP Pavilion has overheated due to HP forgetting how to design adequate cooling systems. I have had two Pavilions do this for me, while an older (pre HP design team fail) Pavilion is still working fine. This is a well known fault for HP laptops. It is similar to what used to happen to old xbox360's. The only solution is to remove the mobo and "reheat" it, however, "reheating" is only a temporary fix and soon it will be fucked again. Sorry, Anon.
>>
>>276979
It's not the only solution. You can have it professionally reballed with leaded solder (which doesn't fail) for ~$50.
>>
>>276870
flashing caps is gpu overheated

options
reflow MB with heatgun or oven
temporary fix if at all, can last from 1 day to a year

reball MB
best option but is it worth it i'm guessing it quite old

replace mb with new one
its a design flaw in the mb, so not really an option

take out hdd
for data recovery, and sell the rest for parts, screen, plastics bezels etc make good money on ebay
>>
>>276997

Lead solder does fail, admittedly it will take longer than lead free solder to fail, but fail it will because this doesn't address the cause of the problem ... cyclical overheating.

>>277039

OP really needs to find out the sequence of flashes, a few faults (not just GPU) are shown by the sequence, HP have the list on their website.
>>
>>277041
Yes it fucking does address the problem, because all that "cycling" is within lead solder's thermal envelope.

This is why satellites don't just fall apart, despite alternating between boiling and freezing, thousands of times a year.

It's not a coincidence that the solderball plague coincides perfectly with the introduction of lead-free solder: designs existing at the time all work perfectly with 60:40, but some don't work with lead-free.
>>
>>277048

Lead free solder has a higher melting point (220C) than 60/40 solder (183C) so your thermal envelope theory doesn't hold water.

Plus, that is not why 60/40 solder is used in satellites. Lead free solder forms longer whiskers, faster, when used in vacuums than 60/40 solder, that is why eutectic solder is used there over lead free solder.
>>
>>276870
motherboard probably fried, ur fukt
>>
>>277075
It's not the melting point, it's the plasticity and coefficient of thermal expansion, but thanks for playing, and I enjoyed all those long words.
>>
>>277075
(if you can find one laptop that operates at 183 degrees, I'll accept your melting-point hypothesis.)
>>
>>277137

That was pretty much my point, retard. Learn how to read.>>277135
>>
>>277135

>long words.
>longest word is ten letters

Whew lad, you're easily impressed.
>>
>>277150
Your point was that laptops run at 200 degrees?

Name one.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.